Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

The Pit --a short level surrounding a slime pit

A bit tricky and on the small side but the gameplay is pretty good. The only real complaint I have is the texture alignment here and there..utilize DB's auto alignment!

Mr. Chris said:

A bit tricky and on the small side but the gameplay is pretty good. The only real complaint I have is the texture alignment here and there..utilize DB's auto alignment!

How does that work? You just mark the linedefs and click a button and presto? I use DeepSea.

I am confused, where is the map posted at? I don't see it any where in the first post... just a screen-shot of it.

download it here

Mr. Chris said:

Did you beat the map?

Macro11_1 said:

I am confused, where is the map posted at? I don't see it any where in the first post... just a screen-shot of it.

Click the screenshot, it's a link.

Thanks hellbent and Subatomic I had no idea the screen-shot was a link lol!

The level was pretty good, I liked the monster placement for the most part, though I felt that 2 ArcViles is a bit much?

I liked the progression around the slime pit, though I wish the pit was larger and I kind of wish the overall dimensions of the level were larger, like the the rooms(The walkway is fine, though they are short). That and I also wish you would either add detail or some how solve the problem of your texture alignments, especially your vertical ones.

Also, where is the slime coming from?

Macro11_1 said:

Thanks hellbent and Subatomic I had no idea the screen-shot was a link lol!

The level was pretty good, I liked the monster placement for the most part, though I felt that 2 ArcViles is a bit much?

I liked the progression around the slime pit, though I wish the pit was larger and I kind of wish the overall dimensions of the level were larger, like the the rooms(The walkway is fine, though they are short). That and I also wish you would either add detail or some how solve the problem of your texture alignments, especially your vertical ones.

Also, where is the slime coming from?

thanks for the feedback macro. This was a speedmap so I didn't give much thought for where the slime is coming from. I could easily add slime grate textures. The two archviles aren't that bad. The one on the ledge can be a bit tricky, but the one near the exit door is pretty easy, and more for kicks than a challenge. Just send some rockets in there or use the switch alcove to snipe at him with the chaingun or shotguns. Plenty of shells to deal with the revivals.
Yeah, I'm not good at texture alignments. Sorry about that. I like close maps. I find spaceous maps to lack kinetics.

Some nice gameplay, especially the AVs. Misaligned textures, and the blue key pillar isn't blocking the switch properly.

Jodwin said:

[snip]the blue key pillar isn't blocking the switch properly.

How so? It should be far enough from the switch that you can't use it through the pillar....

Hellbent said:

How so? It should be far enough from the switch that you can't use it through the pillar....

You can walk past the pillar from its left side.

Jodwin said:

You can walk past the pillar from its left side.

Oh, yes, I see it now. Thanks. I'll be uploading an updated version soon. Thanks for playing and giving feedback people!

Hellbent said:

thanks for the feedback macro. This was a speedmap so I didn't give much thought for where the slime is coming from. I could easily add slime grate textures. The two archviles aren't that bad. The one on the ledge can be a bit tricky, but the one near the exit door is pretty easy, and more for kicks than a challenge. Just send some rockets in there or use the switch alcove to snipe at him with the chaingun or shotguns. Plenty of shells to deal with the revivals.
Yeah, I'm not good at texture alignments. Sorry about that. I like close maps. I find spaceous maps to lack kinetics.

Oh yeah, no problem! And don't feel the need to apologize, because I was just telling you what I felt from my own play through, if you like close maps, that's cool.

The texture alignments are pretty easy to solve, just add a small sector near it and lower it or raise it to eat up part of the texture.(that or maybe I'm just not getting what you mean.)

The Arch-vile bothered me at the end cause the little **** killed me :(, goes to show that I suck at dooming :P

Also, I noticed what Jodwin said as well. Also you need to make it so monsters cannot open the yellow key door, because I nearly ran through there before finding the yellow key.(That or make sure the monsters are all deaf.)

Macro11_1 said:

Oh yeah, no problem! And don't feel the need to apologize, because I was just telling you what I felt from my own play through, if you like close maps, that's cool.

The texture alignments are pretty easy to solve, just add a small sector near it and lower it or raise it to eat up part of the texture.(that or maybe I'm just not getting what you mean.)

The Arch-vile bothered me at the end cause the little **** killed me :(, goes to show that I suck at dooming :P

Also, I noticed what Jodwin said as well. Also you need to make it so monsters cannot open the yellow key door, because I nearly ran through there before finding the yellow key.(That or make sure the monsters are all deaf.)

You don't suck at dooming; I assume you mean the Arch-vile on the right side of the map (not the one near the exit door). He annoys me too. He's particularly hard because of the close quarters, the revenants and the fact that the damn pillars are so small it's hard to hide behind them. I could make the two pillars bigger to make it easier to block his attack, but I don't want them taking up anymore floor space. I have implemented skill levels now, which should make things a bit easier. I've kept both archviles in on all skill levels to keep the gameplay similar across all skill levels.

I like the gameplay dynamic where the monsters come through the yellow key door. Sure you can skip getting the yellow key, but you still have to hit the switch, so this doesn't really make it any easier for you. Not being able to control the door means you have limited control over whether you can get into the next room. It's still useful to get the key!

I think I've fixed all the texture alignments. I'll reupload after I playtest some minor tweaks.

I've also implemented co-op and deathmatch settings.