Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was thinking it might be cool to make a doom 2 "second run" i.e. each level is essentially the same map, but more keys are needed to exit the levels, maybe a couple of new areas. A few more strategically placed monsters. And items and/or secrets aren't where they were in the iwad. What do you think about this?

You would have to make the maps yourself from scratch. Not copy and paste the existing ones and make them better if that's what you were thinking.

This sort of reminds me to the loads of '94 custom maps I played that were basicly the original maps but with some alterations in item placement or some extra added rooms. Building an original doom map from scratch is in some cases being frowned upon.

I did have an idea to try and build an new map from two or more original doom maps. Cut them in sections an randomly attach them again, and expand them further with new areas. Just for my own pleasure though, it hasn't been put into practice though.

Having ideas is is good, sometimes it could result in an community project :)

I just downloaded your re entryway! That was a cool remap there! I loved how you only had your beserk and pistol with you! It could be cooler if you also changed some of the textures :)

If I should tell you something that could be better I think you did put too many pinky's in there in fact just too many monster if you imagen that this is only level 1. Else a nice remake!! ☺

Interesting, a bit to many monsters for map01, and died doing a last minute boxing match with the hell knight, but kinda fun. I did a repopulate with Knee-deep when I first got into map editing way back and found it quite fun. Sadly I lost all my old maps when I toasted my HD.

FanTazTiCxD said:

Check out my re-Go 2 It! I changed some textures and replaced a lot of monsters!

Use Plutonia MAP32

PROTIP - for your next release, please don't include an almost complete IWAD.

GreyGhost said:

PROTIP - for your next release, please don't include an almost complete IWAD.

I didn't understand what you said ??

DoomHero85 said:

"Doom 2 second run"

Finishing Doom in a 2-second run is mightily impressive.

FanTazTiCxD said:

Then read up!
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/IWAD

You're not supposed to modify the IWAD directly.

Take a lump editor such as SLADE3 and open your file with it. Look at the content. That's right -- all the sounds, sprites, music, maps, textures, everything from Plutonia is in it. Except MAP32 since instead there's your one right at the end of the directory.

FanTazTiCxD said:

What I'm saying is that roughly 99.3% of Go To It re.wad is the Plutonia IWAD - it's not a good idea to distribute wads that way, in fact it's practically warez. Here's what your wad looks like with the rest of Plutonia stripped away.

Here's map 1 and 2 together. Enjoy. Tell me what you think. I won't listen to complaints about difficulty though since these are the familiar levels with added difficulty in mind.

Oops! Forgot to make the yellow bars a door. This one should work better.

EDIT: This one really works this time. Sorry to whoever downloaded before.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yynjnb4j2nm/2ndrun.wad

Someone should edit out that link in Fantastic's quote of DoomHero85 since it still links to the edited IWAD.

The latest download link doesn't work for me, so I can't judge whether this latest attempt is OK (i.e. a pwad rather than an iwad).

But don't post any more that are modified iwads. If you don't know how to make your wads in pwad form, ask how to do this, and someone will probably give you instructions. But don't post these wads again until you know how to do this.

I know not to change the IWAD but I also saved it in a new file "Go 2 It re" so I still have the original IWAD. Btw. What does the "I" in it mean? Important? :P

FanTazTiCxD said:

I know not to change the IWAD but I also saved it in a new file "Go 2 It re" so I still have the original IWAD.

This is not the issue. The issue is that your new file contains all the content from the IWAD, except for the modified level. It should contain ONLY the modified level, and nothing else.

So download SLADE3 as I told you and delete everything from your modified file except for your map's own lumps. If you don't know what lumps are map lumps, read this.

FanTazTiCxD said:

Btw. What does the "I" in it mean? Important? :P

This was a link. You can click on it. To do so, move your mouse cursor onto the words that are blue and underlined. When the cursor changes from an arrow to a hand, then use your own hand to press the button that is on the left of the mouse. This is called "clicking" because the mouse makes a little click sound. By clicking a link, you open a new page in which untold wonders await you. Do that, and you will be able to call yourself a "websurfer" or "cybernaut" and admit it, it is really cool. You want to be cool, don't you?

Gez said:

It would be nice if new places would be added that give you a totally new perspective on the already known area. Adding more monsters isn`t such a good idea because it doesn`t really make the levels more interesting in my opinion.

FanTazTiCxD said:

I know not to change the IWAD but I also saved it in a new file "Go 2 It re" so I still have the original IWAD.

Unfortunately, using "Save Map As" saves the entire wad. There is a way around that which doesn't require a wad editor - create an empty wad file and use "Save Map Into", which will save that map only.

Creating the empty wad requires nothing more than the Windows right-click menu - highlight "New", select one of the filetypes, give it a name that ends with .wad and confirm that you want to change it when Windows warns that the file may be unusable - you now have an empty wad file. Doesn't work.

Is it really so hard for you to go and choose "32: Go 2 It" on the list?

Gez said:

This was a link. You can click on it. To do so, move your mouse cursor onto the words that are blue and underlined. When the cursor changes from an arrow to a hand, then use your own hand to press the button that is on the left of the mouse. This is called "clicking" because the mouse makes a little click sound. By clicking a link, you open a new page in which untold wonders await you. Do that, and you will be able to call yourself a "websurfer" or "cybernaut" and admit it, it is really cool. You want to be cool, don't you?

And don't make fun of me. I had enough today.

FanTazTiCxD said:

Is it really so hard for you to go and choose "32: Go 2 It" on the list?

You've included all maps from Plutonia, rather than just the one you reworked. Which means the file would be upwards 30mb rather than 1mb. All that unnecessary information is considered unprofessional.

Also, if I understand correctly, you've included it as an IWAD which means you don't need any other IWAD to play the Plutonia maps. Which is illegal.

GreyGhost said:

create an empty wad file

This step isn't even necessary. "Save Map Into" works like "Save As" for individual maps.

Okay I understand... I didn't think about that I actually was putting a whole free wad on the web (Even though there are still a few of those out there I guess)

When I come home I put the one-single level so you can download that instead. :-)

And stay positive if you can ;)

The way I did it with the entryway is I opened up doom2.wad with Doombuilder 2 and then selected "new map" and copied the map layout into a new file, and then worked on it from there.

@MSpaintR0cks: What do you mean by "new perspective"? As the wad goes on I am planning to add more and more in each level so that by the time I get to the hell maps they will have a ton more to them. I don't want to screw with the first few maps so much just because then I'd have to make the later maps so hard and big that they will be far too tedious to play. I was thinking map 01 will have 1 new area; map 02, 2 new areas; map 03, 3 areas....etc

Yes I really mean to add 29 areas to "The Living End" and now 30 will be an actual map and not just a stupid boss fight.

If anyone wants to get on board with this, that would be great. I think I may be a bit tired of mapping by map 10 or so. Help would be appreciated. And if anyone has better improvements to the maps than the ones I have made I would love to see them!