Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Karnage

Ghost Grinder Updated 1.2

Here's a Techbase style level I have been playing with for awhile now, nothing to innovative or anything, but it should make a good quick run. Any advise you have on improving it is gladly welcome.

[UPDATED to 1.2 and fixed the HOM effects that appeared outside the
Red Key tower.

http://www.mediafire.com/?gjhgyhoezym

y!

Pretty good; I don't normally like techbases much and this one kinda fits in there with its rather cramped rooms and plethora of hitscanners, but I think you pulled it off pretty well. Some bits of architecture like the sloped sergeant/imp wall things with the midtextures in the second and third rooms were annoying as the midtexture covered a lot of area the monster can shoot through that you can't see past, which sucks when the monster can just move on and you're wasting ammo, trying to take it down. Some other parts were rocky, but I'll put that down to not liking base maps and thus not prepared for the encounters, heh. And that last trap was a bitch, got down to 3 hp and had to play peekaboo with chaingunners -.- There were also some cacodemons outside the ... yellow key? that looked like they teleported in when you hit those door switches before the blue key, not sure if it's the same ones though. That was kinda weird.

Anyway the architecture was a bit cramped but looked ok, besides one crate that had the wrong flat in the big crate room at the end it looked like there was nothing wrong.

I believe your referring to the red key with the cacodemons outside in the watery area. They are not the same ones that teleport into the conveyor chamber where the Fatso is. They are actually part of a secret area I am assuming you didn't find :P

I may have to check up on it myself to see what you mean, I think there might be a tweaky teleporter that needs some tuning.

I am not particularly fond of this map myself at times, but I spent enough time on it that I didn't want all the effort to go to complete waste gathering dust on my HD. It may be a bit flawed and I am working on moving away from the cramped mapping style I seem to have picked up. Must think bigger and better!

Thanks for playing at any rate ArmouredBlood, I seem to have at least one fan, haha.

Heheh, if I'm going to avoid doing any studying I might as well do it productively for someone ;) And yeah I could use it on my own maps, but I have no ideas at the moment and would rather have my mind somewhat free until finals are out instead of having some great map idea(s) that will try to butt in whenever I do anything else.

I only wonder, why is this a ZDoom map? The only ZDoom "features" were slopes (used only visually, no real gameplay effect), item placement that requires jumping (just add small crates or move items) and one ghost baron (gimmick). I mean, the map doesn't get anything from being a ZDoom map, while if it was a Boom map it could be played with more ports and could be made demos for more reliably.

Anyway, it's a pretty basic map. Texture alignment needs work, the red key caco area had a sky HOM in ZDoom 2.3.1.

While I could have made it without the slopes, ghost Baron and added jumpy crates, when I began this map, quite awhile back mind you before I had done a lot of research on different ports and what not. I had only just discovered ZDoom and Doom Builder, and wanted to test out these newer features.

Either way, I think that it will be more work to remove the slopes than I am bothered to put in, seeing as I have several other Doom Projects in the works. I do plan on making my next maps a bit more compatible with other ports. Since I only play ZDoom, I am not well versed in what breaks a map for Boom. I will do some research as of now on that very subject.

As for the Sky HOMS, every map I have made in the past and started playing again with the new version of ZDoom causes these to appear, while they never had a problem before. These maps where originally created using Doom Builder 1 then imported to Doom Builder 2, I am unawares as how to fix them.

Karnage said:

These maps where originally created using Doom Builder 1 then imported to Doom Builder 2

This is irrelevant, those are only tools, it doesn't matter which editor you use to make maps.

Than I am at a loss as to their cause, perhaps you can take a look at them and point out why they are causing HOMs. They worked perfectly before, but it seems the newer versions of ZDoom and GZDoom broke them. I was using a very old version of GZDoom back when I originally made these. Perhaps the method for creating skyboxes has changed since?

Sky HOMs have been corrected, simply needed to add horizon to the lines.

I guess they are not actual skyboxes after all, Wikied what a real skybox was. :P

UPDATED Version to 1.2 and added some screen shots.
The link in the main post has also been updated!