Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Swec

How to make 'falling death'

Hello.

I am mapping a bit and i have a pit that if the player fall into it the player should die in whit a five seconds. or just ass he hits the bottom.
What is the best way to do this on?

//Martin

No clue about "best", but what I've seen done in vanilla Doom is setting linedefs close to the edges of the pit (but not too close or the player could set it off without actually falling) that triggers a crusher killing a voodoo doll.

Look at ether TNT or Plutonia map 30 (forgot which one had it) it has an effect that you can use todo what you want

I've made a short example wad demonstrating how to accomplish this effect:

Download here.

Basically all that happens is, when you fall into the pit, the player will cross a linedef due to forward momentum. The action event linked with the linedef activates a crushing ceiling that destroys two barrels that instantly kill the player. I use barrels because activating a crushing ceiling over the player will give off a rapid damage effect, rather than instant death, which is more-or-less what you want.

The reason i didn't use the linedef that 'creates' the pit is due to the fact that the player is able to set it off without physically falling into it.

Malinku said:

Look at ether TNT or Plutonia map 30 (forgot which one had it) it has an effect that you can use todo what you want

You're thinking of TNT, where if the player doesn't walk the right path of torches he gets killed by telefragging a voodoo doll. However, it sounds like Swec wants to have the player die when he falls in, not as soon as he crosses the edge.

If you want to use ZDoom, you can use the "Actor hits floor" thing to kill the player when he hits the bottom of the cliff (or pit, whichever)

Kirby said:

If you want to use ZDoom, you can use the "Actor hits floor" thing to kill the player when he hits the bottom of the cliff (or pit, whichever)

A better ZDoom method would be to use two adjacent sectors of varying heights and tag the lower one with an instant death special. Here's a demostration.

edited for wording and even more clarity

mammajamma said:

Or, since it's ZDoom,

I take it the new 'thing' in the doom community now is that if someone doesn't already know how to do everything they are undeniably mapping for zdoom.

40oz said:

I take it the new 'thing' in the doom community now is that if someone doesn't already know how to do everything they are undeniably mapping for zdoom.

Sorry about the wording, I was responding to Kirby's particular ZDoom method of falling to your death. I'll just edit the wording to be more clear.

ooh.. many reply-es.. :)

I should have wrote that i am mapping in ZDoom (Doom in Hexenformat)

I am not the best person to tell how i want to have things to work or do it in my way as you might read. i am not very good at English but i do as good as i can. I just started like 20min i Doom (Doom format) and the switched to ZDoom to get more advanced settings.

Kirby
: When you said it that way i think that is the best way to do it on. I most try it if that work.

mammajamma: You mean like a 'Dummy sector' like the way it is possible to make a swimming-pol? and set the setting /height to be where the death appears?

And yee i have not mapping for a very long time so i am a noob :P
But hey, i try and when i don't figure it out after a while i do something else and when i can still figuring it out i ask for help.

Ye, i know i do better learn how not to make things but you gotta start some where. And when i release my first BIG map i think i maybe can say that it is very good for a first mapper. And i know that i am maybe not using Transfer_light etc on places that it would have worked best but i think i have a ideè for detail and how to create a nice room and atmosphere.
I am slow but steady.

Thanks for the help. Gotta try it if it work :)
I most take care of the script that does not work eider :(

EDIT: sorry for the post in wrong forum.

//Martin

Swec said:
You mean like a 'Dummy sector' like the way it is possible to make a swimming-pol? and set the setting /height to be where the death appears?

It doesn't need to be a dummy sector. Check the demonstration wad I posted, you'll see that I have one sector halfway surrounding another of a much greater height.

Here's a quick illustration of somewhat dubious quality:

All of this, of course, is assuming you're mapping for ZDoom.

You could make the crushing ceiling at a height where it will crush and explode the barrels at approximately the same time your player hits the ground, achieving this effect in all engines!

Or use dehacked to change some object or monster you're not using (e.g. a Keen) into an invisible, ultrafast moving monster that deals a huge amount of damage (say, 10000), and put it in the pit. That will kill the player as soon as he lands, even if he's invulnerable

For an example of such a monster, load STRAIN together with a wad that includes SS Nazis.

e.g.
glboom-plus strain strain.deh doom2 -warp 31 -skill 4

The monster in the strain.deh is called the "Decompress Daemon". This works with any port with decent dehacked support and the original exe, of course.

That's not how the OP wants the effect to happen, he wants the player to hit the floor of the pit which causes instant death, which has already been explained, obviously.

Generally speaking, teleporting after crossing a linedef that creates a pit isn't an ideal nor convincing method.

He can easily use that method to do that. It'll require a finely timed crusher and some barrels though. The problem with that method however is that coop support goes out the window.

kristus said:

It'll require a finely timed crusher and some barrels though..

I made a map available further up demonstrating this. Seems the ideal way for mappers sticking to Vanilla.

But alas, Swec desires ZDoom.

Yeah. But the easiest and most consistent way to do it in Zdoom is to simply turn on fall damage in the mapinfo lump.

kristus said:

He can easily use that method to do that. It'll require a finely timed crusher and some barrels though. The problem with that method however is that coop support goes out the window.

I found this out the hard way :(