Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dannebubinga

My new map. A base in the mountains. Feedback!

Hi everyone! I'm new here and this is my first post.

I just learned the basics of editing in wadauthor and have now switched to doom builder, so this is my first map in doom builder. It's pretty hard I guess. The inspiration came from the Hell revealed eps and Evilution. The map is pretty much a Tech base.

The wad is for Evilution and there is only 1 skill level - Ultra violence. (you can of course play on easier skill, but the number of monsters stays the same).

You have to espace from a UAC lab located on top of a mountain on Mars. The marine will pick you up at the UAC helicopter landing site if you manage the get out alive.

Let me know what you think!

download link: http://rapidshare.com/files/383065389/mountainbase.wad.html

*updated the rapidshare link*

I think it doesn't work in the Eternity engine. You should change the trigger on the first door to 1, door open wait close. or add a tag to the sector that the door is using.

As for the game play. I can't say I care much for it. It's mostly made out of hitscanners taking pot shots at you and no health to speak of to recover. Makes FDA attempts rather difficult. But once you know where they are, you can take them out pretty easily. But it makes for rather slow and trite game play IMO. So, not my cup of tea.

what WAD do I need for this? (guessing Final Doom, but thought I should ask anyway)

I haven't played it yet due to the fact that I saw missing textures at the start and stopped only because I would like to play the map with the textures =)

(fyi, I don't have Final Doom in this rig)

dannebubinga said:

The wad is for Evilution

I didn't think about using the right wad myself at first. Which is odd, since I did read this and take notice of it.

kristus said:

I didn't think about using the right wad myself at first. Which is odd, since I did read this and take notice of it.

*face palm* I don't know how in the hell I missed that, but thanks for the post. *shakes head* I'll try it out once I'm home.

Please let me know if the rapid share link have reached 10 downloads and disappeared.

And please feedback on the level detail as well. I never cared about using lightning detail and highlighting before. So I would appreciate some comments on those aspects as well.

I haven't played it yet, but try uploading it to yousendit.com for 100 downloads. (seven days limit of the file)

I'm sure some one else can come up with a better host, but that's the one I've been using for a while. =)

kristus said:

That's because you're probably so used to people just hijacking all the textures from plutonia/evilution and using them in Doom 2. :P

Well having somehow managed to download this and play it with the right IWAD (tbh I did play it with Doom 2 at first), I can say that, for a first map, its pretty good. I enjoyed it, although I think that if it had been any longer I would have gotten bored. Sure some of the textures were misalligned, some of the rooms were a little flat but overall I had fun and I liked some of the lighting effects that you used (although for those lamps in that cave area, you should have created a brightness gradient where it fades away into darkness).
I hope that you continue to make maps in the future

ArmouredBlood said:

Don't have final doom so can't play it.

Sneaky-sneak way: load Freedoom as the IWAD, Doom2 as a PWAD, and the mod in question. There you go, Doom 2 graphics except for the few missing textures that are replaced by their Freedoom equivalent.