Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ArmouredBlood

dwspd023

Last weekend's speedmapping session started in obscurity and produced only 3 maps, and this one also started with little advance warning besides that thread, but I hope having the deadline on Sunday at midnight pst will give more people a chance to map. I realize it's getting close to finals though, so students like me will have studying to do, but spending 100 minutes on a map isn't so bad ;)

Onto the theme - the suggestion that stuck with me most was to make a cavern with a temple in it somewhere. How big/small it is or the theme (can be hellish, earthish, marsish, what have you. If you can pull off a techno cavern more power to ya) is up to you, as long as there's a cavern and a temple. Monster count is whatever, with bonus points for incorporating the ss guys (solarn ;).

So to recap, time limit is 100 minutes, session ends Sunday at midnight pst, and the theme is a cavern with a temple in it. Gentlemen, open your map editors.

EDIT: Also, boom format is preferred.

Parka.wad

edit: Funnily enough, this map was the first time in a few years that any Doom editor corrupted a map for me (XWE farted right when I was finished). Thank god for automated backups. :) And apparently I'm an idiot, I finished 20 minutes too early. Oh well, it's done so whatever.

I failed. I overshot with the size and now I have a general layout, but no things and the final room is unfinished. And I don't like the map enough to complete it anyway.

ArmouredBlood said:

Nice, heh, my cave is much smaller since I don't really like mapping caves (or any "organically shaped" areas for that matter) myself. They're easy to make general layouts for, just throw around lines randomly, but I suck at making them look nice.

Next time maybe announce the speedmapping a little bit in advance? That way it would be possible to prepare for it.

FDA of parka. Nice map, little on the ammo-heavy side considering your previous works ;P And I loled when the SS guys popped out. And when I accidentally set off the red key trap, heh. And yeah making caves look good is really trial and error - just adding a few extra layers and then randomly varying pointy and circular walls is about all I do if I want to make it quickly. Micro-managing the vertices isn't really feasible in speedmaps.

When I was posting about another speedmapping event this weekend I meant to post something yesterday, but I kinda forgot about it until I noticed MajorRawne post in that thread >.<

Hmm, I built a nice cave section with a broken causeway crossing some lava, then Doombuilder crashed. And I hadn't saved in the last 30 minutes. Time flies when you're having fun. I bombed out of the speedmapping contest but I'm gonna rebuild the map and post it on the forum hopefully by Monday night :)

Played Parka - also LOLed at the random appearance of the nazi blokes - enjoyed the map, some nice variety in the visuals considering the limits of the competition :)

ArmouredBlood said:

little on the ammo-heavy side considering your previous works ;P

Sorry, I thought I was getting overtime (somehow I got confused with the time along the way, I saw this thread after Solarn's first post and before MajorRawne's) so I only ran through it twice - not enough for fine tuning ammo for requiring 100 % accuracy. :P

@ majorrawne; ah, sucks =/ The map sounds interesting, will see when you post it.

@ jodwin; well I think you said it only took you 70 minutes, I'm cool with letting people finish maps with breaks in between, considering I had to run and get a few groceries between placing things and balancing. Just make sure it's only around 30 minutes of work ;P

Nah, I'll leave it as is, I'm happy enough with it myself. Besides, now that there's demos already I'd be breaking demo compatibility with any real updates. ;)

FDA on AB's map.

The archvile made me completely flip out, and funniest part is I *knew* there'd be one as I play with HUD on and saw that last kill remaining. I just didn't expect it to come from where it did. :)