Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jossiejojo

hexen format

Hi

Its easy enough to play and modify hexen levels using zdoom (doom in hexen format) but I cant see how to load doom levels/maps in hexen format so that the Doom HUD and start up screens etc are visible...Am i missing something here? Thanks

What you need isn't in the Hexen IWAD. Graphics resources like the HUD, Title screen, text strings and etc. aren't normally included in PWAD's but can be if you're looking to do some sort of total conversion. Just don't rip so much stuff that people start complaining about copyright.

OK thanks...basically I want to make a Doom mod that is nearly all
outdoors - and I figured hexen is better for making slopes and stuff...which will be best for a landscape type feel..

So whats the best way to use Doombuilder to do this?? Which wads have to be loaded and how??

Thanks a lot

Doom Builder: Use the appropriate configuration. For DB2, I personally recommend those but read carefully before installing them.

Which wads to load: Now this is a very difficult and elusive topic. Let's say you want to make that map for Ultimate Doom -- you will need to load, surprisingly enough, doom.wad. It's kinda weird, because if instead you want to make it for Doom II, then you need to load doom2.wad. See how strange it is? But it gets even more complicated! Suppose you want that map to be for TNT: Evilution, you will then need to load tnt.wad! And as if it wasn't obscure and cryptic enough, can you guess what you need to load if you make it for Plutonia? No, not doom.wad. No, not doom2.wad. No, not tnt.wad. It's actually plutonia.wad! Most shocking twist ever!

Okay, that's a bit too sarcastic, sorry. But I don't understand why that would even be a question.

jossiejojo said:

OK thanks...basically I want to make a Doom mod that is nearly all
outdoors - and I figured hexen is better for making slopes and stuff.

To just clarify a point (now that I have a better idea of where this threads going), when you use "Doom in Hexen format" you're still mapping for Doom - or more specifically - source ports that support Hexen features in Doom maps.

GreyGhost said:

when you use "Doom in Hexen format" you're still mapping for Doom - or more specifically - source ports that support Hexen features in Doom maps.

The map format is Hexen's (includes extra fields in LINEDEFS and THINGS lump and requires a BEHAVIOR lump).

But the thing numbers and textures are Doom's.

OK...so there is nt a way of opening a Doom map, say the first level, E1M1, in Doom in Hexen format - you'd have to write it from scratch...(which no doubt someone has done...)

But I think that answers my original question...

There are two ways, use a wad editor to rename the map marker or edit the relevant configuration file to accept E*M* map names.

jossiejojo said:

OK...so there is nt a way of opening a Doom map, say the first level, E1M1, in Doom in Hexen format

If you mean converting a map from one format to another, there are tools that do that. For instance, there is zwadconv which converts a Doom-format map into Hexen-format.

This is explained on the map format article I linked to earlier.