Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First off, name your maps.

If it's DooM2, then name each one starting from Map01, going onwards to Map32.

And if your working from Ultimate DooM, name them starting from E1M1 to E1M8, and after that you start again at E2M1 etc.

Now that everything is named, create a new wad... if you click on "file" in the bar at the top, there's an option named "Save into" beneath the other "Save" options. Save each of your named maps individually into this by using the "Save into" feature, and they should slot in the order you want them to be.

Good luck.

:)

Which editor you using? Doom Builder 2? To be honest for beginners I suggest just doing your map either in Doom format or Doom2 format. Much easier to use, and hell, there lots of great established mappers here who make amazing maps who still do it in that format.

You can make any number of levels you want, DooM2 just works in levels from 1 to 32, while DooM works in episodes, each episode with 8 levels (and a secret level).

So once you've started a "New Game", if you named the level Map 01 (DooM2), or E1M1 (DooM) will override the first level of each put your level in it's place.

I haven't actually named a map yet, but from what I understand you use an external program like Dehacked or something to use it, personally haven't tried it yet. Maybe someone else here can help you with that, though. :)

Take something like xwe or slumped and open your wad with it. I use xwe so you'll have to get someone else to tell you how to rename maps there, but in xwe you just find the MAPxx lump, then rename it to whatever map you want. Do this for all (32) of your levels, THEN you can do the save into with DB2. Or try merging wads with xwe, which is a little meh cause xwe works directly with the data, so any change you make is permanent. KEEP BACKUPS OF YOUR WADS.

ArmouredBlood said:

KEEP BACKUPS OF YOUR WADS.

Pretty much the best advice you can give anyone using exterior programs to work with wads.

So, if we wanted the new map names to appear on the intermission and map screens, we'd:

1. build the level
2. make a backup of the level
3. open the level in xwe
4. rename the level from e.g. map01 to Vandal's Lair
5. save the newly renamed map eg Vandal's Lair into the megawad or project wad using Doom Builder?

Or is my noobishness getting in the way of my brain?

***4. Rename Map01 to Mapxx, eg. Map07***
^^corrected. Otherwise you have it down. In the future, if you're building a megawad, just start a new map at the right number and save into so you don't have to deal with this again. You can use xwe to just rename map lumps to switch the order around if needed.

I think I might be misunderstanding you here. I wanted the map's new name to appear actually in the automap when you're playing the level, and on the intermission screens.

I know you can use Dehacked for that but assumed XWE and Doom Builder working as a combo would make Dehacked obsolete?

So when you're playing the map, instead of saying (for example) Map 01: Entryway, it would say "Map 01: Vandal's Lair".

Dehacked doesn't change anything about the map it'self. It changes a text string ascioated with a map.

Of course source ports have their own text definitions for changing a maps name (again not at all related to the physical map).

For the auto map map name, you need to use Dehacked, which will work in all source ports or you need to use a source port's specific method to change a maps name.

"MAPINFO" is used for many ports: http://zdoom.org/wiki/MAPINFO

However there are ports, such as Doomsday, that currently don't support MAPINFO and have their own methods. Doomsday uses it's own similarilly named "Map Info" for instance.

Fortunetely, these methods can usually co-exist (i.e most ports will simply unknown lumps they don't use).

For the map name on the intermission, you can just change the CWILVxx graphic for the map (the intermission map names are bitmap graphics), which will work with any port.

I think I'll stick to Dehacked for the moment and work up to the MapInfo stuff in case I corrupt my entire hard drive and blow my house up. With my luck, that could happen.