Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SyntherAugustus

Mech 4 Free Release

MTX?

MTX is the central point of distribution for the launch of the FREE Mechwarrior release. The MTX application boasts some of the following features:

* Bootstrap Installations
* Incremental Delta Auto-Patching
* Torrent or HTTP Downloading from an exclusive MekTek Tracker
* Custom Web Browser
* News Updates from MekTek and Partners
* Online Help
* Community Chat Lobbies
* Network Diagnostic Tool

Hmmm...

And, predictably for Steam-knockoff-type software, it is utter trash. So far I've had MTX refuse to download anything and even crashed and froze twice on me. The workaround is to take its .torrent files and just download them using another torrent program, then transplant them into MTX's folder and then get on with the installation.

...Of course, the person that told me this has yet to actually be able to play the game. Why exactly couldn't MekTek just post the ISO files somewhere?

I couldn't find the .mtx file after I installed the MTX software. I thought I'd finally found it on Fileplanet but it turned out just to be the game itself. Yay me!

I'm willing to wait in line 8 minutes at Vileplanet to get the full 1.5 GB release. Why they didn't have both options available from the very beginning is beyond me.

WildWeasel said:

And, predictably for Steam-knockoff-type software, it is utter trash. So far I've had MTX refuse to download anything and even crashed and froze twice on me. The workaround is to take its .torrent files and just download them using another torrent program, then transplant them into MTX's folder and then get on with the installation.

...Of course, the person that told me this has yet to actually be able to play the game. Why exactly couldn't MekTek just post the ISO files somewhere?

Yeah, even with Mechwarrior: Living Legends, MTX was pretty bad. I dont' know what they'll do to fix it, tho.

I tried installing MTX, and as soon as I tried to run the program it crashed. Not only did it crash, oh no, it launched the program four separate times, which brought my computer to its knees. Not even Crysis slowed my computer down that badly.

Until they release a standalone version or bundle Mechwarrior 4 with MTX, I'd say don't bother.