Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clonehunter

Where are the Doom Novels?

Actually I just found them on ebay righ now lol

I also found two listings for the Doom Comic too... Never saw a comic book beofore priced at 500 USD, then I saw the second listing... $3,995.00 0_o Christ...

You've never looked into comic book collecting, then, as the early issues of popular series (Superman, Batman, and whatnot) are extremely expensive, especially in good condition.

I never really understood the purpose of 'collecting' anything. I feel as though it's only necessary to spend money on the things that you can truly utilize.

40oz said:

I never really understood the purpose of 'collecting' anything. I feel as though it's only necessary to spend money on the things that you can truly utilize.

Jus' a matter of looking good. Having the first issue of Superman (DC) just makes many people look. I would never buy for 500$ though...

You can find the Doom comic online, for free. I believe Doomworld is hosting it. Then you can print it.

bimlanders said:

Are the Doom novels even good, dare I ask?

I'll let you come to that conclusion yourself. Although I have yet to get around to reading the novels, I hear that the later novels in the series stray a bit from what Doom was in the games, and what it was in people's eyes.

40oz said:

I used to be like that and secretly looking down to all the cool kids who were collecting hockey trading cards and stuff. Then a couple years back I got my hands on something completely useless but what I personally thought to be cool, and realized what the big idea is: It's about owning something that you get pleasure just by owning it.

Collecting isn't for everyone, and even then everyone has his own thing for collecting. It can be a pretty personal hobby, in that sense. And it's incredibly materialistic, since it's all about owning.

Jodwin said:

I used to be like that and secretly looking down to all the cool kids who were collecting hockey trading cards and stuff. Then a couple years back I got my hands on something completely useless but what I personally thought to be cool, and realized what the big idea is: It's about owning something that you get pleasure just by owning it.

Collecting isn't for everyone, and even then everyone has his own thing for collecting. It can be a pretty personal hobby, in that sense. And it's incredibly materialistic, since it's all about owning.

That reminds me of this.

bimlanders said:

Dont bother buying the last two

Aldaraia said:

I hear that the later novels in the series stray a bit from what Doom was in the games, and what it was in people's eyes.

"a bit" is a pretty big understatement. I don't remember anywhere in Doom seeing, or even hinting at for that matter, an artichoke-headed alien.

Clonehunter said:

Does anyone know a place where I can find the old Doom novels? Or a good place to start looking?

If you just want to read them, get them from the library. :P

Guest DILDOMASTER666
bimlanders said:

I thought Knee-Deep in the Dead and Hell on Earth were decent; they are much different than what you will imagine, probably different than what you will want in a Doom novel, but I personally didn't treat them much like Doom novels per-se. I had low expectations from others around this forum, but these two that I have read really weren't too bad.

Nomad said:

If you just want to read them, get them from the library. :P

I've already checked out my local libraries. They have nothing Doom related at all >:(

My friend gave me the whole set one day when he was cleaning out his room. I have yet to read them. I think my bro read part of the first one.

I could read them, you see, but I have a stack of books by the likes of Asimov, Clarke and Heinlein. Those are almost guaranteed to be more interesting. :D

As for comics, I hate them. They're hard on the eyes and don't read naturally.

Clonehunter said:

Actually I just found them on ebay righ now lol

I also found two listings for the Doom Comic too... Never saw a comic book beofore priced at 500 USD, then I saw the second listing... $3,995.00 0_o Christ...

You're shitting me? I can't find them on ebay.

I still have the Doom Comic tucked away in mint condition. If someone wants it for four grand, I could use a holiday ;)

I only have 3 and 4 of the novels, which I'm aware are the crap ones. And I have read them and they are pretty diabolical. If I say Sears and Roebuck...

Been meaning to get the first two for years now.

Clonehunter said:

I've already checked out my local libraries. They have nothing Doom related at all >:(

Request them. Not every library carries everything. It takes ten seconds to search the online catalog and press the "hold" button.

Heh, ran an online check and discovered I have more Doom novels than the State Library!

Clonehunter said:

So yuo bought it?
:P

I did, though not from the seller Pritch linked to.

pritch said:

I've read those Doom 3 novels. They're really not that good and feel way too rushed. Personally I think the regular Doom novels are way better. I know most people hate the regular novels but I like them, especially the first book since it follows the game pretty well. Even though the later one's divert majorly from the Doom story-line, I still enjoy them but not as Doom material. They are interesting novels though.

Nomad said:

Request them. Not every library carries everything. It takes ten seconds to search the online catalog and press the "hold" button.

Well with my library, I can check thiers, and all other libararies withen maybe like the 4 or 5 nearest counties or cities, all at once. I'm not gonna take a three hour drive to another county like Walworth (I'm in wisconsin, land of beer, taxes, and cheese) or another state to get a book.

Requesting though I could probally do.

Clonehunter said:

Well with my library, I can check thiers, and all other libararies withen maybe like the 4 or 5 nearest counties or cities, all at once. I'm not gonna take a three hour drive to another county like Walworth (I'm in wisconsin, land of beer, taxes, and cheese) or another state to get a book.

Requesting though I could probally do.

When you put a book on hold from another library, you can have it delivered to yours. Libraries are pretty high tech and even feature people you can ask about things like that, too. They're called Librarians!

There are 2 series of the original 4 Doom novels.

First, the original series with graphics from the game, give or take.

Second, the reprint that came out VERY QUIETLY a few years ago with ocmpletely redrawn covers that look like nothing from Doom.

I own a full set of both, 8 in all.

Books #1 and #2 read a lot like the game and are very enjoyable. Didn't care much for #3 and #4.

Best,

Dusty

Nomad said:

When you put a book on hold from another library, you can have it delivered to yours. Libraries are pretty high tech and even feature people you can ask about things like that, too. They're called Librarians!

I'm not sure if you are understanding my posts...