Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

Lots of Rage

A lot of activity has spurted around the Internet about id Software's new upcoming IP Rage. Some of the buzz claims there will be a coop multiplayer mode, and a release time frame has been set, however unspecific. It's looking to be a 2011 release. You can read and watch all about it at Kotaku, Shacknews, Gametrailers and Eurogamer.

The games industry at large has stopped making games, long ago.
At least Id is pushing Quake Live and some form of old school gaming with their hand held series.

WAAH WE ARE ANGRY AND SAD THAT THE WORLD IS NOT LIKE WE REMEMBER IT!

Grow up. Only time will tell whether Rage will be awesome or not.

What's an IP anyway?

Rohit_N said:

I wish people would stop comparing Fallout (3!!!) and Rage.

But most of the Rage screenshots do look like Fallout 3 with more polygons.

Shaviro said:

Gah. Prey style invulnerability. CONSOLE'D.
This is not the id that does its own thing. This is the id that will do anything to be popular.

That sounds a little dramatic to me. Anyway these recent developments make me more excited about Rage. To me it sounds like id just want to deliver a great game and maybe break some old FPS gameplay gimmicks that have been built into people's minds.

david_a said:

But most of the Rage screenshots do look like Fallout 3 with more polygons.

You make it a habit of lumping all games together that have the same setting? Buy one WWII game and you own them all? I don't think Rage looks anything like Fallout. Its more colorful, more lifelike and has way more personality.

I really don't get all the hating on Rage. Personally I'm really happy to see id develop anything AAA that isn't a straight up hardcore FPS.

Use3D said:

You make it a habit of lumping all games together that have the same setting? Buy one WWII game and you own them all? I don't think Rage looks anything like Fallout. Its more colorful, more lifelike and has way more personality.

WWII games are possibly the worst counter example you could have given. This looks a whole lot like F3, even if the tool cabinet is a slightly brighter shade of red.

fraggle said:

Have Id caved in and stopped making GAMES now?

Probably, these days it's all about creating and building franchises.

Solarn said:

What's an IP anyway?

Intellectual Property.

DaniJ said:
I really don't get all the hating on Rage.

It's not hating, dude, it's raging.

Shaviro said:

Gah. Prey style invulnerability. CONSOLE'D.
This is not the id that does its own thing. This is the id that will do anything to be popular.

I felt the same way first I heard of it. But from the new info bits it sounds like it could be more like what is seen in System Shock 2. Where they got chambers that can bring you back to life, but you got to pay and if you run out of monies, you are dead. (Which actually happens in that game. :p)

I'm remaining cautiously skeptical. Unfortunately, they have regen health too.

DaniJ said:

I really don't get all the hating on Rage. Personally I'm really happy to see id develop anything AAA that isn't a straight up hardcore FPS.

So do I. I've been wanting that for years. Unfortunately it seems like they're dumbing down the game considerably for the consoles. Regenerating health and respawning is pandering to the casual gamers.

Furthermore, they've developed a system that allows a virtually unlimited texture budget. Unfortunately, they can't jam enough on to the disc for the console so they aren't using textures of a resolution high enough to make their system worth a damn.

After reading up on some of Rage's technology and the plans for upcoming id tech 6, I am terribly, hopelessly confused.

But 128,000x128,000 pixel textures are neat.

Don't really know what to make of it - gfx are a mixed bag.
Tim Willits needs to be gibbed.

Shaviro said:

Unfortunately it seems like they're dumbing down the game considerably for the consoles.

Gah, I hate consoles. Not only are they useless -- why would I play a game on the TV when I have a computer or even laptop?!! -- but they also dumb down the production of games...

Shaviro said:

Furthermore, they've developed a system that allows a virtually unlimited texture budget. Unfortunately, they can't jam enough on to the disc for the console so they aren't using textures of a resolution high enough to make their system worth a damn.

That is rather missing the point. The innovation with this is not the "unlimited" budget but how it is managed, scaled and applied to the world. It is the reason behind the coherence and naturalness of every scene we've seen thus far (no more obvious texture seams or disjoint elements).

When things look as low-res as they do in those shots, I don't really think that matters too much. It pretty much wrecks the merits of having no seams single-handedly. What is the point of seamless texturing when the annoyances are replaced by texture resolutions so low that they jump out of the screen and attack you?

So, I'm reading the story of Rage as revealed by these articles.

A post-apocalyptic world where civilization crumbled after an asteroid fell. A sinister organization, with access to advanced technology and known as simply "The Authority", oppresses people. The game is half-directed, half-open, with hubs. In your first mission, you are given a crossbow firing electric bolts.

Sounds kinda familiar so far...

Someone else long ago also came with this conclusion. But given that game's "fame", I don't count on this becoming very similar, or even the authors ever thinking about it.

GreyGhost said:

Intellectual Property.

Ah. So what stops intellectual property from also being a game?

Shaviro said:

Regenerating health and respawning is pandering to the casual gamers.

LOLWUT. So what, casual gamers aren't supposed to be taken into account now? Besides, the ability to save anywhere an unlimited number of times was pretty casual for its age too.

Solarn said:

LOLWUT. So what, casual gamers aren't supposed to be taken into account now?

As far as I am concerned they should be sent to special camps.

Solarn said:

Besides, the ability to save anywhere an unlimited number of times was pretty casual for its age too.

Yes indeed they were/are. But the big difference here is that saving. Unlike regenerating your health and the game being built around the premise of you not dying when you... die. Is >>>OPTIONAL<<<.

/RANT
I hear the argument for regenerating health to be a lot of the time, that it speeds up game play. I fail to see how this is, since when I played games with regenerating health I find myself a lot of the time being bored behind cover waiting for the health to regenerate, instead of thinking of how I am supposed to survive. There's no reason for me to take action against being shot, since all I have to do is hit crouch and suck my thumb for a bit before I can do the dance of stupid again.

Prey is an exceptional example of a game being anything, but a game. When you "die" in prey. You get taken out of the game area to a spiritual place where you're allowed to stock up on health and "spirit power" and then get put back exactly where you where. Now, there's not really skill levels in Prey (who needs them, you could paralyzed from the neck down and you still wouldn't die). But there's an optional game mode for those who "beat" the "game" called Cherokee, it's supposed to be more difficult. How is this done you ask? By removing ALL health potions in the maps. So, to play that mode, you are "required" to die to get more health. But I digress, sorry for going off topic.

kristus said:

As far as I am concerned they should be sent to special camps

As far as I'm concerned you should be stood against a wall and gunned down.

ISN'T IT FUN MAKING REFERENCES TO GENOCIDE?

I loled.

Seriously though. Your stab at me wasn't a reference to Genocide, just a regular execution. You need to work on that.