Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Abyssalstudios1

Looking for visualizer software

I am in need of an odd piece of software. The basic idea behind it is that I want to be able to generate the same look as the visualizers in, say, Windows Media Player and the iTunes visualizer.

Only, I need to be able to control it. You see, I have sound-color synesthia. I hear colors and patterns, depending on pitch and a few other factors. So what I want to do is visually demonstrate what I "see" to other people. To do this, I need a controllable visualizer that lets me put whatever colors and patterns I want into a video format.

Is there anything like this floating around on the internet?

Oh, you're one of those see colors in music people...

What color do you hear when you read my post out loud?

I'm the same way, seeing colors and such.

Try checking out VSXu. It can work off a sound source coming through the line-in jack of your sound card. I've been thinking of using it as a sort of makeshift light show for live music performances...

It's also programmable.

Ralphis said:

Clear.

Ralphis said:

Most male voices (including my own), are on the gray scale.

Dude that is totally awesome, like a superpower... the next stage of human evolution?!

I only see a piano I don't know how to play when I hear music. I don't actually see it but I see it in my mind, like I know which keys to press, but I can't actually press them to make music as i'm off alot.

I ranted on here about my other curses, but I removed the text for clarity of topic.

There's only so much an automatic visualizer can do: it needs some rules on how to behave on generalised input (a piece of software can only "see" music as the result of signal analysis, either time or frequency domain) and generally they work on "streamed" input, aka, they don't look too far back (or at all) in the past. Those used in mainstream program rely for the most part on simple time-series analysis, frequency analysis and beat detection on a short time interval.

If you have something too specific in mind or something that can't be broken down into a simple frequency analysis and/or requires an actual understanding of what is being heard (e.g. distinguishing a male voice from a female...or a voice in general), you'll probably have to code it yourself and throw in stuff like speech recognition, wavelets, pattern recognition, neural networks etc. and patch them together, and then finetune the result to a particular song. Pretty much like a Scene Demo or home-made trippy videoclip.

I'd probably just make an animation with gimp (since I know of few other animation software) to have lots of creative control without constrained, difficult-to-create code. See video 'the boy with the incredible brain' for a guy who saw numbers as shapes and which he made out of clay (same shapes when tested again later). Vilayanur S. Ramachandran made this test for number/color (the 5s pop out from the 2s, literally as a different color (though each person is locked inside their own subjective skull so who knows what they really see) for people with that particular type of synthesia).
http://www.mind-expanding-techniques.com/images/Synesthesia_numbers_2.jpg
He says its due to the brain areas for number and color being near eachother in the brain and some people have overlap between these parts somehow. Probably some people think they have synthesia, but are only thinking metaphorically instead of actually having it.