Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OverlordRhode

Adding Objects and Sprites using SLumpEd

I've browsed around the Wikipedia site that has explanations for coding the object so it can behave a certain way in the game, and that part I have so far understood.

When I open my Doom .wad inside of SLumpEd, and go to graphics, I import the .gif image of a tree, and it appears. It says the 'type' is still an image format, and looking at the other sprites, they say type "sprite". I have been unable to figure out how transfer it become a sprite, and then how to attach the script to the sprite to be used in Doom Builder 2.

Ask for more specific details.

OverlordRhode said:

I've browsed around the Wikipedia site that has explanations for coding the object so it can behave a certain way in the game, and that part I have so far understood.

???

I suppose you mean a port's specific wiki, maybe the ZDoom wiki. None of them are affiliated with Wikipedia in any way. Still, it's unclear what you mean exactly because there are several different ports which have different ways of adding new objects: Doomsday, EDGE, Eternity and ZDoom, for example, all have different content definition languages.

OverlordRhode said:

When I open my Doom .wad inside of SLumpEd, and go to graphics, I import the .gif image of a tree, and it appears. It says the 'type' is still an image format, and looking at the other sprites, they say type "sprite". I have been unable to figure out how transfer it become a sprite, and then how to attach the script to the sprite to be used in Doom Builder 2.

With Slumped, the options to convert an image to a different format is in the context menu. Right-click on the lump and you should see a Convert... option. Convert it to Doom Gfx (or, if your port support other graphic formats as well, PNG so that the image's own palette is kept) and there you go. Don't forget to set offsets for the sprites (Slumped has an auto-offset function, which again is accessed through the context menu). Then save.

Gez said:

Convert it to Doom Gfx (or, if your port support other graphic formats as well, PNG so that the image's own palette is kept) and there you go. Don't forget to set offsets for the sprites (Slumped has an auto-offset function, which again is accessed through the context menu). Then save.

I've been able to do that ,and I click save. But as soon as I go to a different type of lumps, and come back to sprites, it's missing. The type stays "Graphic Interchange Format" and does not change it to sprite.

And I am using zDoom with Doom Builder.

The picture of the .gif will appear in Slumped, and allow me to change offsets, but when I click save changes, and like I said, come back to it, it's gone, as if it's not saving. I know I don't need to add it to TEXTURES1 or PNAMES as i'm not using it as a wall texture.

Okay, I've just tried putting a GIF file in a wad to see how Slumped behaves, and it simply marks it as "unknown".

I'm kinda puzzled. What version of Slumped is it? The words "Graphics Interchange Format" do not even appear in the copy of the source code I have.

Anyway, try this build of SLADE3. (You'll need to get the FreeImage.dll from the official beta, though; do not use the one from Slumped as these two apps use different versions of that library.) It should read and convert GIFs correctly.

"Graphics Interchange Format" probably comes from FreeImage. I just used it's image format detection stuff for all formats except the basics (png, jpg, bmp), which proved to be problematic (.pcx being recognised everywhere), so I haven't done that in SLADE3.