Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Eternity SVN has had a total rewrite of the texture system that supports large patches and texture/flat mixing and other cool stuff, so I took the opportunity to make a new sky and new gargantuan rock texture for my Vaporware maps:

Super Jamie said:

Rubbish as usual :P Can't wait to see where you go with this now. Will you be re-making any of your existing Vaportex work in HR?

Nah, all the hi-res stuff that needs to be done is more or less done, at least for the areas that exist so far. And to clarify, this isn't "hi res" in the sense of smaller pixels to fit more detail, just a gigantic texture to cover a gigantic space. For comparison, here's a shot of the same area from a year and a half ago, without slopes, and with the older textures: http://sl4.poned.com/screens/vapor/01.24/map03/etrn1015.png

Pretty major improvement I think, even though retexturing it was the most major change :>

esselfortium said:

Pretty major improvement I think, even though retexturing it was the most major change :>

I agree, it repeats alot less and looks way more natural.

Only peeve I have is that those crates look like they're made of plastic, by how they're lit up in comparison with the surrounding grittier textures. But I don't want to suggest replacements. I don't want to see ripped TNT crates instead.

EDIT: could it be the lack of shadows? :)

printz said:

Only peeve I have is that those crates look like they're made of plastic, by how they're lit up in comparison with the surrounding grittier textures. But I don't want to suggest replacements. I don't want to see ripped TNT crates instead.

EDIT: could it be the lack of shadows? :)

As it is now, the light's coming from above. If I put directional shadows on the crates, I'd have to put shadows on everything for consistency.

And yeah, Doom's crate textures are pretty basic, but I guess I'm so used to seeing them that they don't seem that odd to me.

gemini09 said:

I miss the original automap colors... :(

???
Are you using a port that doesn't have them? The only port I know of that doesn't use the original colors by default is ZDoom (and its derivatives), and even then it's still available nonetheless. (Options -> Display Options -> Automap Options -> Map Color Set.)

esselfortium said:

If I put directional shadows on the crates, I'd have to put shadows on everything for consistency.

There should be a tool that automatically casts shadows from sectors with a sky ceiling.

Gez said:

The only port I know of that doesn't use the original colors by default is ZDoom

???

Also Boom?

printz said:

There should be a tool that automatically casts shadows from sectors with a sky ceiling.

Uhm, no.

printz said:

Vavoom got that.

Gez said:

???
Are you using a port that doesn't have them? The only port I know of that doesn't use the original colors by default is ZDoom (and its derivatives), and even then it's still available nonetheless. (Options -> Display Options -> Automap Options -> Map Color Set.)

Thanks.

essel

The landscape is beautiful. IMO, the Darkening 2 textures would compliment it very well - or any other texture set for that matter, that's more in line with the landscape texturing...

Looks marvelous either way.

take it with a grain of salt as it's just my impression from the screenie etc

DaniJ said:

Up to 16 player splitscreen coming soon.

I think you would need a movie theater screen to have decient screen size with that many players

Finally, another port with split screen. I loved it in Legacy, but it's so out of date. I don't really like Doomsday, but I would likely use this in the future.