Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Inhuman Strain

Doomworld Metal Thread (surely Doomers enjoy metal)

I, now don't hate me for this like most people do, listen to Metal... Well... Slipknot...

Honestly, I listen to Slipknot (Who btw is no longer Nu-Metal, they are standard now **). I own the bloody Slipknot Wiki for fuck sakes.

Just remember, I like the old albums (Iowa, Self Titled) not there mainstream shit (Vol .3, All Hope Is Gone).
In that case I recommend if you check out Slipknot, listen to maybe... (sic) or Eyeless. Two of my favorites from the Self Titled album.

I can NOT listen to most standard metal, allot of it I find are either to soft or to hard that they sound like noise. I listened to Metallica, after being a Slipknot fan for years, and Metallica sounds like a bunch of PUSSIES in comparison. Another example is Murderdolls, Who I also think are TO soft to be called real metal. Now allot of you might realize that Slipknot is softer now, with songs like Snuff' witch are kind of like Rock more than metal, but honestly! Listen to there old shit, listen to Eyeless. Awesome song...

THE GMoD said:

I, now don't hate me for this like most people do, listen to Metal... Well... Slipknot...

Honestly, I listen to Slipknot (Who btw is no longer Nu-Metal, they are standard now **). I own the bloody Slipknot Wiki for fuck sakes.

Just remember, I like the old albums (Iowa, Self Titled) not there mainstream shit (Vol .3, All Hope Is Gone).
In that case I recommend if you check out Slipknot, listen to maybe... (sic) or Eyeless. Two of my favorites from the Self Titled album.

I can NOT listen to most standard metal, allot of it I find are either to soft or to hard that they sound like noise. I listened to Metallica, after being a Slipknot fan for years, and Metallica sounds like a bunch of PUSSIES in comparison. Another example is Murderdolls, Who I also think are TO soft to be called real metal. Now allot of you might realize that Slipknot is softer now, with songs like Snuff' witch are kind of like Rock more than metal, but honestly! Listen to there old shit, listen to Eyeless. Awesome song...

Dude, Slipknot rules. EVERYONE liked them when they came out, and anyone who says different is in denial. Fuck everyone else, listen to what you want.

That's the attitude that drove me out of the metal scene: being called "unmetal" for listening to other stuff or dressing different.

@GMoD: lol, Slipknot? In a metal discussion? Oh please *limpwrist*, I don't remember them changing genres so quickly, since they still have the percussionists, the DJ and the turntable guys...those elements are not metal but more of what might have in hip hop.

Do you even have any decent artists in your playlist that don't resort to gimmicks like masks?

Also, anyone listen to V:28?

Again, there old stuff is harder than most of the pussy metal shit I hear now days. You dick.

THE GMoD said:

Again, there old stuff is harder than most of the pussy metal shit I hear now days. You dick.

So resorting to insults is your best comeback from a legitimate reply from me? "Pussy metal" doesn't include what you hear on the radio most of the time, which is alternative rock and watered down 'heavy' metal (I know they play Maiden and others but Maiden is definitely not crap or watered down, unlike what Metallica has become).

..whatever might you might be referring to specifically as pussy metal, can you be more specific?

And something tells me you have not dug enough into the underground/non-mainstream side of the genre..and no, Dragonforce and Dimmu Borgir do not count!

Mr. Chris said:

So resorting to insults is your best comeback from a legitimate reply from me? "Pussy metal" doesn't include what you hear on the radio most of the time, which is alternative rock and watered down 'heavy' metal (I know they play Maiden and others but Maiden is definitely not crap or watered down, unlike what Metallica has become).

..whatever might you might be referring to specifically as pussy metal, can you be more specific?

And something tells me you have not dug enough into the underground/non-mainstream side of the genre..and no, Dragonforce and Dimmu Borgir do not count!

Well mainly from what I have heard, most stuff that is considered "Metal" is pretty damn soft compared to allot of what I hear from Slipknot, Metallica (I swear when I first heard them I was guessing they where rock), Murderdolls, is surprisingly soft. And more bands that I can name that are considered metal are soft as all hell in comparison. Sure, Slipknot's 2 newer albums are softer with songs like Snuff' and Til' We Die, but those are just a few, songs off the new album like Sulfur and Phycosocial are essentially metal. But it is not as hard as there old shit, seriously, right now, go listen to Eyeless from the Self Titled album. That song is harder than most metal I heard, most from the early albums are almost Death Metal, almost. Anything really harder sounds like plain noise to me.

The DJ and everything really contributes to the sound, if you listen to say... Well Eyeless like I recommended, the scratches work very well. And for even newer songs like Three Nil' there is some aspects of pulse like sounds done by the DJ that contributes alot to the sound. But with the newest album, they sound alot more like standard metal, the DJ is underused now and most percussionists also.

your metals suck, the only true metal is french romantic shoegaze black metal

When will people get it out of there head that metal is all about being heavy.
what most people need to do is to take a listen to all the kinds of metal so they get whole picture of what metal really is.

and I'd recommend watching this documentary (if you have not seen it yet)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U1zbFYlAcU

@GMod: Please stop arguing that Slipknot is metal, it's not. A DJ has no place in the metal scene, if you ask me.

Mr. Chris said:

@GMod: Please stop arguing that Slipknot is metal, it's not. A DJ has no place in the metal scene, if you ask me.

I don't think he did ask you. Also, the fact that "Nu-metal" has the word "metal" in it might be a bit of a clue as to why you are wrong. We get it, you're not a fan.

Hooray for Nu-metal:

I'm somewhat amused how much THE GMoD doesn't like Murderdolls when I'm certain at least one member from Slipknot is in there. Also how he refers to Metallica as pussymetal... well, comparing their first four albums to Slipknot's first two albums (if we're going from the early stuff before softening and changing of styles for both bands came into play) would conclude that the latter do indeed sound more like random noise. (I like both Slipknot and Metallica BTW) Is that a better thing though? I'd not say so myself. I much prefer the "mianstream" (as he calls it) albums - particularly Vol.3 because it sounds more like music to me - plus the album has less crap (subjectively of course) songs and pointless 15 minute messes on it.

As for my current tastes - I rather fancy an earful of Scar Symmetry myself (Path of Least Resistance to be precise), which (due to the nature of media player's shuffle) will then be followed by All That Remains - Not Alone. Both fitting under the broad umbrella of metal IMO and both rather good songs too.

EDIT: Well, Bugger me - turns out I don't know shuffle that well after all... Lamb of God - Omerta instead.

As an aside, I do find the arguing over what is and isn't metal in this thread hilarious.

Phobus said:

I'm somewhat amused how much THE GMoD doesn't like Murderdolls when I'm certain at least one member from Slipknot is in there.

Might seem a bit strange on first impression, but it's not like having the same band members guarantees the same sound. For example, I absolutely love Mudvayne and really like Pantera, but for some reason Hellyeah doesn't do anything for me.

I don't really consider myself a metalhead to any extent of the term, but I do enjoy me some metal every now and then. Here's just a couple of examples right off the top of my head:

Dillinger Escape Plan is pretty rad, especially the Irony is a Dead Scene EP with Mike Patton doing vocals.

Faith No More's Angel Dust is required listening in my humble opinion.

Cynic is a band that's taken a lot of time to grow on me, but now I can't get enough of them. It's just too bad they only have two albums.

Indukti is a relatively obscure progressive metal band. Love the hell out of their music.

Voivod kicks ass.

AgentSpork said:

Indukti is a relatively obscure progressive metal band. Love the hell out of their music.

Liking that track, could almost pass for a Doom level, heh. Is that a violin in there?

darkreaver said:

I do agree about Relapse, but I dont HATE them for what they did :P

I, on the other hand am a pissed off arsehole that hates them. Hehe :)

Mostly because they did all the shitty things that big labels do, fucking with the bands, changing their artwork behind their backs, forcing them to change names, using corporate contracts that rendered bands inactive for long periods of time which led up to the break up of a godly German death thrash band called POISON. They let them go onto this compilation, but made them sign an agreement where the fine print stated that they couldn't release anything for a year period where Relapse can "consider" whether they want to sign them or not... and this led to frustration because Relapse wasn't signing them which made the band split up. Fuck Relapse, I wish only death upon them, I want a renegade bus to run over all the people who work for Relapse. I'll say it again, fuck Relapse. heheh

Anyway, glad Abominat got a deal there, it'll probably draw more attention to your band which is awesome. :)

NP: MERCYFUL FATE - "Don't Break the Oath". Love this band to pieces.

DooMAD said:

Also, the fact that "Nu-metal" has the word "metal" in it might be a bit of a clue as to why you are wrong.

It still isn't "metal", that "nu-metal" tag was clipped on by commercial music companies to cash in on the popularity that metal had in the early 90's. It was originally known as aggro rock, and is closer to rapcore than actual metal.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nu%20metal

Read the 3rd description of nu metal, sums it up well. Even though, personally I agree with the first two descriptions, heheh.

Haha, dead on with that..and they're right with new Soilwork and In Flames..they turned to shit on their later albums while their old works are great pieces to listen to.

DeathevokatioN said:

Anyway, glad Abominat got a deal there, it'll probably draw more attention to your band which is awesome. :)

Nah, I don`t want any attention tbh :P As I said we split up hehe
Well, yeah I see where you are coming from about Relapse, but...yeah :P That little 7" release seems like a cool thing, and probably it will be released by a smaller "sister label", and not Relapse it self, I think :P

What was your magazine called??

DooMAD said:

Liking that track, could almost pass for a Doom level, heh. Is that a violin in there?

Yeah, they have a violinist in the band. Some of their other songs have harp and didgeridoo in it too. :P Their first album, SUSAR is probably their best, but I couldn't really find a good enough example on YouTube.

DeathevokatioN said:

It still isn't "metal", that "nu-metal" tag was clipped on by commercial music companies to cash in on the popularity that metal had in the early 90's. It was originally known as aggro rock, and is closer to rapcore than actual metal.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nu%20metal

Read the 3rd description of nu metal, sums it up well. Even though, personally I agree with the first two descriptions, heheh.

I'd have to say the 7th is more accurate.

Even if I hate nu-metal, I think that it is metal anyway.

A French death metal band with a friend of mine (the first seen guitarist with the red guitar).

And here we go again. Thrash wasn't "real" metal either once. Life's too short for this shit, i almost feel like giving up on metal just because most of it's fans are scum... just like i did with anything made by Apple... but metal is too awesome.

dew said:

your metals suck, the only true metal is french romantic shoegaze black metal

I like it. France actually has had some surprisingly good acts come out of their strange, strange country.

GooberMan said:

Listen to Opeth's album Damnation and then try to tell me what metal is.

/argument

Or any other Opeth record. I've fairly recently become a fan, but I seriously cannot go a single day without listening to them. As much flack as Watershed has gotten (for reasons beyond me, it is just as great as everything else they've done), I'm really digging the songs on it. Have had their cover of Bridge of Sighs stuck in my head for about a month straight.

DooMAD said:

I don't think he did ask you. Also, the fact that "Nu-metal" has the word "metal" in it might be a bit of a clue as to why you are wrong. We get it, you're not a fan.

Slipknot is no longer Nu-Metal. They qualify now as standard metal.

And SO WHAT if a DJ is in a metal band, it does not make any kind of difference! And as for Murderdolls, just because Joey Jordison (drummer) is in both does not mean I have to like Murderdolls. allot of metal bands lose points by having absolutely terrible vocalists, thats where Slipknot comes in, Corey Taylor has a great voice aided by a awesome scream.

And as for that definition on the Urban Dictionary, Slipknot has better vocals in my opinion then lots of the metal bands I hear, listen to Stone Sour, thats hard Rock, that has the same vocalist as Slipknot.

It also pisses me off when people judge Slipknot by there genre, GO LISTEN TO IT. Seriously, if you have not, listen to Eyeless on youtube. Nao.