Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Do you have music ON while playing Doom or others like it?

Music or no Music?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Music or no Music?

• Music!
    • Without music.

I'm asking, do you really use music when playing something from id Tech 1, or do you prefer to hear only what's relevant, or what's actually happening, or listen to ambient sounds instead? Because with no music, it IS more realistic; it also allows a mapper to have more attention to ambient sounds, considering that players won't use music. Also, music tends to repeat obnoxiously, and sound different from computer to computer.

I always, always use the PSX Doom music wad. (Unless there is custom music built into the wad file)

I know I shouldn't, but I often find myself tuning in to BBC Radio 4 and listening to politics, or some other talk show or something.

Regardless of game, I always listen to the music that comes with it. Since that's the way it's meant to be played.

Well, almost, since whenever I hear D_RUNNIN I quickly type idmus10 or idmus29. But that's the only exception.

Generally I'll listen to whatever comes with the map, but I'll mute it if it gets annoying. When I'm mapping and testing out parts, I'll mute music so I don't have to mess with turning off pandora. Plus it keeps me focused on the style of map I want - I mostly map to symphonic metal and industrial. Symphonic works for slaughter maps and industrial works for technical stuff - the random NIN that filters in with it annoys me though -.-

Mostly like Jodwin (it was meant to be played, etc.)

I sometimes use mmmus/mm2mus/reqmus/hrmus files when I'm really sick of the original track.
2 examples:
- d2reload MAP32 with mm2mus
- pl2 MAP13 with mm2mus (I played MAP05 from Caverns of Darkness shortly before with that Slough of Despair track -Donna to the Rescue it is?- so I could have enough of it already)

I run with -nomusic unless the WAD in question has a custom soundtrack worth listening to. Often times I prefer to listen to something other than the typical Doom thrash-metal style, so I'll either put on some ambience (the internet radio station Soma.FM Doomed works really well) or just add every MP3 I have to a playlist and set it to Shuffle.

How do you find out if a mod has a soundtrack worth listening to (or even a soundtrack at all for that matter) if you always run with -nomusic? Do you investigate the WAD via an editor or something first?

I'm one of the people who almost always runs the game with the music from the mod/original WAD enabled. I usually only turn the music off/down if it is annoying or I'm doing something like trying to listen to specific sounds or something (ie testing).

Jodwin said:

Regardless of game, I always listen to the music that comes with it. Since that's the way it's meant to be played.

+1.

I usually run it with original music. However, once in a while if I'm already rocking out to my own music I'll turn it off so as to continue listening. Also, if the in game music really really sucks I will change it. I actually usually don't change D_RUNNIN even though it's pretty terrible.

I think that if a mapper wants people to just listen to the ambient sounds they should include a blank song, or one with minimal stuff going on.

If the soundtrack is new stuff, I will listen to it - and most likely actually play the WAD. Mapsets without their own OST I quickly lose interest in. I guess it's because I want to feel like I'm playing something new and refreshing by HEARING something new and refreshing, rather than it being another case of "oh d_stalks thats an interesting music choice i wonder how interesting this map will b- zzzzzzzzz" syndrome.

Enjay said:

How do you find out if a mod has a soundtrack worth listening to (or even a soundtrack at all for that matter) if you always run with -nomusic? Do you investigate the WAD via an editor or something first?

Almost always. I usually only look inside to determine if the WAD has replacement weapons (if so, then I don't run it with a weapon patch) or if it starts on some bizarre level (the vanilla WADs that start at Map23, etc, are a big contributor to this behavior), but if I see a bunch of music lumps in it I'll play with music enabled maybe once or twice to judge.

Yes for Doom, no for Quake Live. I'd like to have it on in QL, but that would impair my ability to make out where the other player is.

Music, always, unless it's annoying.

I sometimes turn it off for demorecording and notice I'm playing much better.

WildWeasel said:

if the WAD has replacement weapons (if so, then I don't run it with a weapon patch)

Blasphemy

Phml said:

I sometimes turn it off for demorecording and notice I'm playing much better.

I can kind of see where you're coming from, but at least for me this is total opposite. Music (well, certain kinds of) actually helps me play better, since that way getting into the game becomes easier. A good adrenaline pumping track helps me stay awake and alert, while total silence almost makes me fall asleep.

Music is also a really good way to enhance the game's atmosphere if used well.

Yes, usually a PWAD I put together using assorted Doom 64 and PSX/Saturn Doom music as it suits the mood for the game more due to the ambience it creates.

Jodwin said:

Music is also a really good way to enhance the game's atmosphere if used well.

Agreed completely. A fast tempo track suites fast gameplay very well. And a moody dark sounding midi can enhance a gloomy hellish atmosphere tenfold.

I always have music on, unless it's completely unbearable.

IDMUS is a great cheat. I have a wad in my skulltag skins folder which is jampacked with midi's that I can type changemus in the console for in case the music is god awful.

I leave it on, as it adds to the mood in an otherwise simple game structure. As others have said, I occasionally disable it or change it if a PWAD contains lame music and I have reasons to still stay in the level (many maps that have bad music are also not very good in themselves.)

Never_Again said:
D2RELOAD now has its own music.

Ah, he did mention music that he didn't include in the ZIP. After idmusing through the set, I'm glad I'm not using it because most of those tracks would have just degraded the atmosphere.

I almost never change the music that comes with a wad. I did, however, change the tracks without music in HR so I could hear something more epic. Map24 did not work with Doom 2's track at all.

A wad without music, however, merits a change a lot of the time. Some levels just don't fit with D_RUNNIN. In these cases, I'll almost always stick to a stock track (I've used Dark Halls a ton of times, for example).

I'll listen to any music that comes with a WAD, however if there isn't any new music I always listen to the PSX or Doom 64 soundtrack.

I always play with the music turned on. Hearing midi instruments while seeing pixelated landscapes and monsters makes me so nostalgic.
Also, I`m glad that there is music on most of the wads, because it manages to distract me a bit from the sound effects. Hearing the same stock doom sounds over and over again without music would make me go insane. Especially the repetetive scream that the demons make when you hit them is so incredibly annoying, because only this one sound is used for most of the monsters in the game.

When I play, I only listen to the music if the author made his own. If it is ANY track that I have heard, I open up itunes and listen to some Biggie Smalls or Nas ^_^. I also tend to like the "idmus ##" cheat if I happen to find a track that i REALLY like. I abused this cheat so much in Speed Of Doom, but I forget which level it was, lol.

I'm surprised of the many people who use PSX Doom or Doom64 soundtrack. Not that it's bad but more because I assume you would have to have been first introduced to doom through these games to think that's what doom was supposed to sound like.

I actually use the PSX/DOOM64 music too as default. When I play with Midi It's all good too since I just load up a 200mb sound font which makes the music sound awesome.

I do of course play Doom on my 233:MMX rig to get that nostalgic Doom felling from time to time. Thats less often now days though.

Going back to the original question, yes I do play Id Tech1 games with music. unless I'm actualy mapping, but anything else (fan made wads or original) I just have the wad music switched on.