Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Freeze

Doomworld Punk Thread

Because Metal fucking sucks nowadays.

Stuff I've been listening to:

I'll try to find some local stuff from my area, but YouTube can't find shit. Stay tuned.

Only the second one sounds anything like Punk.

Next think I'll hear that Blink182 are punk...

That dead frequencies song sounds more like atrociously bad goth rock

Punk is meh, I've really only listened extensively to dead kennedies and misfits. They still get old pretty fast. It's more fun when you're moshing

A lot of this and that as of late. The former just played a show here with Career Suicide which was epic amounts of awesome.

Maes said:
Only the second one sounds anything like Punk.

Next think I'll hear that Blink182 are punk...

I agree with you on the first one, but I do consider The Descendants a punk band. There's more to punk than the street/oi styles and old-school groups that you posted. Punk is a pretty catch-all term that covers the snide, skate-punk sorta groups too.

good charlot and fallout boy and skrewdriver r my favorite punk bands! fuck da govt anarchyyyyyyy punx not ded!!!!!

and yea metal SUCKS loool

I saw Kepi Ghoulie on Friday. He's been around the punk block quite a while; including the Groovy Ghoulies, he's been in the circuit for well over a decade now.

Not really a big fan of punk in general. Once you've heard one 4/4 beat, you've heard them all. Not even being a closed-minded jerk, honestly, I can just only take so much of the same four chords and the same beat.

Enemy Soil

fucking love this band.

I don't listen to much straight-up punk anymore. I've been listening to mostly grindcore with crust. Though I used to listen to GBH, Exploited, Sham69, Dropkick Murphy's, Gang Green and The Unseen religiously. Sometimes I'll flip through my ipod once and a while and pick a band i haven't listened to in ages and I forget why I ever stopped listening to them. While I still like metal influences, I'm much more loyal to punk than metal. Metal feels scary but artsy while punk is much more raw and feral.

It's a punk song. Who cares if a metal band plays it?

Civil Crisis, a now-defunct local band. It's really too bad their amps suck, because their album sound was actually pretty decent.

40oz said:

Metal feels scary but artsy while punk is much more raw and feral.

Respectfully and humbly disagreed here. In the 80's when metal was still young, it wasn't artsy at all and was raw as hell.

Anyway, have you ever heard punk infused death metal? Raw, evil, and grinding with the same d beat drumming that punk had!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfPWE7_mbyE
The video quality is annoying, but the music is still awesome.

And if your a fan of grind, then no doubt you should have heard REPULSION by now. I love this band to pieces, the way they add their own sadistic trademark onto punk riffs is just too bad ass.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF_ttE4ihLc

Probably not PC to post here, but it will surely give you an ADRENALINE BOOST!!!

"Mad Dog Wine I'm going to Jail - WE DON'T GIVE A FUCK!"

and much more....

best punk ever? punky bruster, a cool band from south central poland!

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck, another great thread :D

Punk (+ crust, d-beat, grind) is no doubt my second fav genre of music after metal. Actually its RIGHT up there.

I started out with skate punk (NOFX = probably my fav band ever, still!), then more straight forward old punk, then more metal infused and crust punk.

Deathevokation linked to Bastard Priest, which is THE find of the century for me, as they mix my favorite genres, and it works like hell! Old school death metal (Master/Death Strike, Repulsion), d-beat/punk riffs and drumming, and extremely rotten (= great!) vocals.

Ok, time for a little recommandation. Its a band I`ve been listening to ALOT lately, namely PUKE (sweden)!

PUKE - Blod (1987)

Great mix between fast and raw punk and some speed/heavy metal thrown in. And the vocals! Argh!

That song is from the album "Back to The Stone Age". They also have an EP called "Back To The 30`s" which is equally good.

Not sure about straight up punk, but I'm definitely a fan of crossover.

Suicidal Tendencies, Dead Kennedys, Misfits, Municipal Waste, Toxic Holocaust, etc.

DeathevokatioN said:

Respectfully and humbly disagreed here. In the 80's when metal was still young, it wasn't artsy at all and was raw as hell.

I think punk did it better though.

This thread lacks Stiff Little Fingers. Still the band i've seen the most times even though i got bored of punk years ago.

Terrorgruppe are another good one. They're German and seem (though i don't speak German) more like they were taking the piss out of punk, or else "going through the motions" of being a punk band, creating songs with names like "social criticism song" and "ozone hole song".

Oh and the Macc Lads were a punk-inspired (merely by the fact they started in the late 70's, they began calling themselves metal later on) and very un-PC band who are brilliant.

I'm not a huge punk fan, but here's the best punk band ever:

Heh, I got in a shit load of trouble at school once. My crime? wearing a Damned badge. LOL

[edit] Actually, I think I still have the badge somewhere. I may just wear it to work tomorrow. LOLOLOL [/edit]

This thread is actually tons better than the countless "Is X metal?" threads.

Sex Pistols last song.

A bit more recent (1996)

And back for more classics

Swedish Shitsystem

Swedish Asta Kask

Fuck yeah, old Skitsystem is gold! Asta Kask is also gold. Typical good old swedish "trallpunk", as its called (dunno how to translate it, but it means its somewhat melodic and catchy).

My fav Discharge song:

and another Puke song:

and another one:

because they are the best!!!

Holy shit this band brings back memories.