Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

Pondering what people want for DOOM 4 (weapons, monsters, gameplay, modernizing)

Gez said:
Weak argument. The HK in Doom 2 is a nerfed and palette-swapped Baron, while the HK in Doom 3 is its own character.

He may well be requesting that they use the original concept, instead of added difference or creativity, since the baron of hell and hell knight from DOOM and DOOM II look more classically demonic, while the hell knight in DOOM 3 looks more like something inspired by H. R. Giger.

The horns of the Hell Knight were probably clipping ceilings.

Aside from the Cyberdemon, I was pretty happy with the redesigns for D3. Especially the Pinky demon. So Doom 4 could be an updated D3 and I'd be happy. Double barrel shotgun and minus the soul cube, either less plot or a better one and we're all set.

I'm going to suggest something humorous!

How about an accordion that spews various types of ammo depending on what you play on it?

Seriously, though, I'd like to see more puzzles (good ones, at that), scarier, smarter monsters, and less dependence on the rules of real life (faster running, zero reload times, etc.).

That sounds like it should have been in the Ghostbusters game.

So someone at Bethesda slipped and revealed there has been an Elder Scrolls in the works since 2005. Bethesda dropped its court case with Interplay (or vise versca) so a Fallout MMO can be made and or released.

With all of these MMOs being talked about from Bethesda which owns id software, what about a DOOM MMO?

What about combining Left for Dead 2 with Borderlands for a new DOOM?

It should have Doom 1/II as an extra, that's all =p
preferbaly with the old engine and the new one.

Another thing that would be good is a wider repertoire of responses from other characters. In DOOM3, they all have about 4 things to say. In addition, characters could be programmed to react to being bothered too many times, perhaps by walking away or simply ignoring doomguy if he keeps pestering them after they've said they're busy. If there's a concern about too many sound files, computer-generated voices could be used, making all that is necessary is a voice engine with timbre variants and text scripts.

audiodef said:

Another thing that would be good is a wider repertoire of responses from other characters. In DOOM3, they all have about 4 things to say. In addition, characters could be programmed to react to being bothered too many times, perhaps by walking away or simply ignoring doomguy if he keeps pestering them after they've said they're busy. If there's a concern about too many sound files, computer-generated voices could be used, making all that is necessary is a voice engine with timbre variants and text scripts.

Oblivion does this.

Mr. Freeze said:

I am extremely glad you don't design games.

Games change all the time, and DooM is no exception. Why obsess over the past when the future can bring anything? The mods we create with the original games serve the 80-MPH gameplay purpose, and not everyone hated the slower gameplay of DooM III (a huge firefight would probably cripple the framerate anyway).

Also, I find it very funny that you say this:

While a few sentences ago, you essentially said "DOOM 4 SHOULD BE EPISODE 1 WITH BETTER GRAPHICS" THAT is recycling.

DooM 4 will be whatever id wants it to be. Refusing to accept that...is like pounding your fists on the ground and throwing a temper tantrum. No one is FORCING you to play the damn games, you know.

Then what about Blizzard games that are in development, i mean Starcraft 2 looks like upgraded Starcraft 1 with new units and Diablo 3 still feels like older games (yeah i know they show only beta videos but you get the point).

What i want from Doom 4 is more action oriented, no survival horror shit (though if they made it similar to L4D i wouldn't mind), no pussyficators known as Auto Regeneration (cause this is one of the reason i hate new FPS games) and please no camping oriented gameplay (that would be helluva boring).
The arsenal of weapons should contain all weapons from Doom 1 and 2 that's for sure but they could add new weapons like grenade launcher or some kind of super fast rocket launcher (you know idea similar to Duke Nukem devastator). As for reloading they can add it but it's not necessary.
Running should be balanced, i mean i love old Doom running but it was way too fast sometimes, so they can add the speed of running similar to the Serious Sam one that was good in my opinion.

Ending my post i will say that only time will show what Doom 4 will be, i hope iD doesn't disappoint it (like they done with Doom 3... my one of the worst game purchase decisions ever, all because of the hype and love for old Dooms)

Cjwright79 said:

I want magnetic mines that can stick to the ceiling, floors, walls. Gotta be metal though or it won't stick. By default the magnets are off; right click to activate, hold left to throw further than 2 feet.

Also a buzz-saw gun would be cool.

Quake, scourge of armagon had the proximity mine launcher, that was like that idea. If you put one in the wrong place, you could shoot it to destroy it as they reacted to you as well.

Cjwright79 said:

Also a buzz-saw gun would be cool.

Why not... a CHAINSAW LAUNCHER?

you mean like a gun that ejects spinning buzz saws, that slices and dices and even juliennes? That might be cool... as long as you can see where you are shooting :)

personally, I'd like to see more "contra" type action and more bloody guts "splatterhouse" like gore...

For weapons: As said somewhere before (To lazy to quote), perhaps like weapon upgrades, like the flashlight shotgun idea. So your walking around, and you find a roll of ducktape. You can tape your flashlight to your gun, or use it for other things around the levels, a little rpg style. Dual pistols would be a plus, and maybe a new weapon (not a grabber though), but something useful. Like a... Oh I don't know, maybe a Lazer Crossbow like from Chasm (Screw Quake). Or better yet, flash grenades. Loved 'em in MotS, I'll love 'em now.

Monsters: I'd like to see Arachnotrons agian as well as Pain Elementals (Never liked them though), and maybe the return of the legendary SS Guards and Commander Keens just for kicks. And has anyone noticed how pretty much all zombies are bald? Just because your possesed means you can't have hair! So maybe some more monster variation. And Realm667's beastiary has some cool monster concepts, like Heresy Lords or Devils, or maybe those cool Satyrs. Those would be cool, charging at you horn and fist.

Items: And maybe some items too, used like Hexen & Heretic style.

EDIT: Oh wait, not lazer bows, Saw Guns like from Chasm!! That'd be cool (They'd need a way to make it plausible but...)

Clonehunter said:

SS Guards

Indeed, from the recent game called Wolfenstein.

If realism is what id wants to go for, I say give doomguy feet. In Doom3, you can look straight down and apparently, you're invisible. When you walk out to the edge of a ledge, it looks like you've just stepped onto air.

As far as modernizing goes, I think whatever engine RAGE is using will do fine. I'd like to see much more open spaces than in Doom 3, that was one of the things that it was sorely lacking.

I think the normal selection of weapons (including the SSG) is okay. Gimmick weapons like the Soulcube are kind of stupid. A raise in difficulty would be nice too, the strongest non-boss monster is probably arch-vile and even that isn't really hard.

Replace some of the barely used monsters that Doom 3 added (maggots, wraiths, flaming zombies) with more Doom 2 monsters. Also, a combination of the more traditionally demonic Doom 1/2 monster style and the more twisted Doom 3 style would be really cool.

One thing that bothers me about DOOM 3 is the places you fall into with no way out that don't kill you outright. In DOOM 1/2, there was ALWAYS a way out. If you jump out a broken window, there should be a chance of getting back inside before you run out of oxygen. If you fall off the moving platforms in enpro, there should be a ladder or a secret door. If you're going for realism, then somebody built these places and whoever built them had a way out. Why shouldn't you? If you're talking about playability, it's annoying to have to back up to a saved game when these things happen because there's no chance of continuity in those situations.

All I want from Doom 4 is what I wanted from Doom 3: A fast-paced survival horror with loads of maps, tons of replay values, and a constant run-and-gun attitude.

What I don't want is "link up with B-squad at the alpha labs", "oops the way is blocked link up with B-squad at the beta labs", "oops B-squad got killed, head for gamma labs". I don't want only one monster on the screen at a time because the graphics are so advanced it melts quad processors.

I just want a straightforward, addictive, compelling, exciting blasting experience like the original Dooms.

People are still playing and modding Doom and Doom 2 more than 15 years after their release.

I can't see anybody playing Doom 3 after beating it once or twice (looking at your reflection in a toilet mirror is not scary after the first time), and nobody seems to be mapping for it any more, if they ever did. In fact most of the effort expended on Doom 3 seemed to be in turning it into Doom 1.

Why can nobody build simple and addictive games any more?

I find it funny that people are going on about what they want in Doom 4, then when it's released, they'll complain that those things aren't in the game, knowing that Id never even heard them in the first place.

MajorRawne said:
What I don't want is "link up with B-squad at the alpha labs", "oops the way is blocked link up with B-squad at the beta labs", "oops B-squad got killed, head for gamma labs". I don't want only one monster on the screen at a time because the graphics are so advanced it melts quad processors.

FUCKIN'-A TO THAT!

Ghastly_dragon said:

I find it funny that people are going on about what they want in Doom 4, then when it's released, they'll complain that those things aren't in the game, knowing that Id never even heard them in the first place.

Yeah. But if id had any brains, they'd canvass forums like this looking for what customers want. If they're trying to sell something, they have to have something people want to buy. Otherwise, why the hell would Eskimos buy ice?

You're right, though. You're right because money rots intelligence, and id, like most companies, assuming money is the motivator, is probably too stupid to do what it takes to produce products people want to buy. OTOH, if they don't care about money and they just want to do what they want to do, then that is their right.

Take Verizon. I placed an order for FIOS and they canceled it because they didn't handle the order correctly. I'm not lifting another finger to order FIOS. I already placed my order, and if they fucked it up, they've lost my business. They've gotten so big and so unfocused that this is typical of what happens with big companies.

audiodef said:

You're right, though. You're right because money rots intelligence

No, I meant they're posting their "wish lists" in forums, rather than putting it somewhere where Id Software would actually see it. Id Software has always made their games in the vision , and even if the game is in the same style as Doom 3, they will earn more than enough money to make it worth it.

Id Software also said on more than one occasion that they've heard the public outcry with regards to Doom 3, and will try to return to Doom 2's gameplay style. They listen enough that they actually cancelled a game they were going to make that was more centered on Doom 3's dark environments.

Take Verizon. I placed an order for FIOS and they canceled it because they didn't handle the order correctly. I'm not lifting another finger to order FIOS. I already placed my order, and if they fucked it up, they've lost my business. They've gotten so big and so unfocused that this is typical of what happens with big companies.

More likely an individual employee messed it up, and now you're missing out on literally one of the fastest internet services because you don't want to reorder to fix it. :P

Ghastly_dragon said:

More likely an individual employee messed it up, and now you're missing out on literally one of the fastest internet services because you don't want to reorder to fix it. :P [/B]

Correct. I've conveyed to Verizon what happened. If they don't care enough to correct the mistakes of their employees, how can I trust them not to fuck up billing and other things? No, thanks. I believe in catering to customers rather than making customers jump through hoops.

GhostlyDeath said:

Who needs new guns, just use all Doom 1 and 2 weapons.

EDIT: Verizon sucks, they internet sucks and so does their customer service. If I can't trust them with DSL how can I trust them with something faster? Also, my current internet is cheaper and faster than Verizon's cheapest.

Another point is that if you want Doom 2, then why not play Doom 2? Personally, I'm hoping for something that's actually new. (That ugly rhyme was unintentional.)

GhostlyDeath said:

EDIT: Verizon sucks, they internet sucks and so does their customer service. If I can't trust them with DSL how can I trust them with something faster? Also, my current internet is cheaper and faster than Verizon's cheapest.

What are you using? I would love to have more options than Derizon or Comkrap. EDIT: OMFG. They showed up today (they canceled my order and I lost interest) digging in my yard, sans permission. I was pissed. When I stop using Verizon DSL for any reason, that'll be the last service of theirs I use.

We now return to the topic at hand. :-P

Ghastly_dragon said:

Another point is that if you want Doom 2, then why not play Doom 2? Personally, I'm hoping for something that's actually new. (That ugly rhyme was unintentional.)

Here! Here!

The rhyme wasn't to bad.