Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Many DM players consider that Doom II Map 01 is the best duel map ever.

Aside from that, I'd rather suggest classics like :
- Dwango 5 Map 01
- king1
- judas23
- Lazarus Map 04

Those maps offer basically everything you may ask a duel map for : solid gameplay, fast-paced action, interesting layout designed primarily for 1-on-1, good item placement...
You can either play them aggressively or with a tactical approach.

Here are suggestions from some seasoned European DM players, that might help you.

I don't do enough deathmatches to have a favorite but Rottking is probably my favorite deathmatch mapper of all time.

Sabbat Martyr II , a compilation of maps but notably from Mechadon... Mostly anything Mechadon is good.
Reminds me, I believe he's working on another and it looks pretty decent (if it's a dm anyway).

without thinking too hard about it...
judas23_
moo2d
brit11 map05
...and, of course, entryway

i wouldn't compare judas to map01, the maps are like night and day. judas is rushy, tests your aim and quick thinking. on the other hand, good duelists will crush you into fine powder if you try rushing on them on map01 (unless you are chewy's latest alias). 50frag judas match won't exceed 15 minutes even with the best players while a good, proper entry match can grow to a 30+ minutes tactical battle of minds and patience. it's also worth mentioning that only doom can take an utterly broken, unballanced map and find ways to make it work as the ultimate test of learning map specific mechanics. in other words- nothing plays like map01.

EDIT: d5m1 is boring as hell :p

Dwango5 Map1 will forever be my favorite DM map of all time(even if its a bit overrated to some people).

the UDM series (especially 3 and X) have a bunch of good ones, as does Lazerus. YEDS projects (32in24 series and Greenwar) are hit or miss, but are very pretty and lay surprisingly well.

Judas, despite my feelings toward it, seems to be played often as well.

dew said:

i wouldn't compare judas to map01, the maps are like night and day.

In ENJOYMENT for ME to play.

Yeah, there are many maps that can be considered good in their own right, but the classics like Map01, D5M1 and Judas will always be there with a solid playing history to add to their natural merits.

In DOOM, I like E1M2 in "altdeath" mode for 1-on-1. If one player chooses to go for the rocket launcher and armor, the other can go for the chaingun, shotgun, armor and supercharge. Then they face each other off, either at the keyed door or in one of the sections (brighter outer area or darker maze.) By default, green starts closer to both important areas, so he has the initiative on which to choose (like white has the initiative in chess) although indigo can chainsaw him to death if he's quicker. I'd like to try a 2 vs 2 team game in E1M2 with the same settings one day...

Mr. Freeze said:

Dead Simple.

i vomited in my mouth a little bit

TraderEddy said:

I was wondering what are the best Deathmatch Maps you've ever played?

DM1 Quake II. yeah it's not Doom, but damn that map rules.

Mithral_Demon said:

Sabbat Martyr II , a compilation of maps but notably from Mechadon... Mostly anything Mechadon is good.
Reminds me, I believe he's working on another and it looks pretty decent (if it's a dm anyway).

Do you mean SMDM? Sabbat Martyr II was canceled because, for some reason, I thought it was a good idea to have a map pack filled full of every available gamemode plus new custom gamemodes. And also new weapons and skins and monsters and sounds and music and graphics with a team consisting of a large chunk of the Skulltag community...needless to say it was a bit too much :P. I'm glad you enjoy my stuff though. I'm not working on anything competitive at the moment; I'm focusing more on singleplayer and coop stuff since multiplayer has started to bore me a bit. But as long as I'm still around mapping, I'll probably do more multiplayer stuff in the future.

magicsofa said:

at least he didn't say Phobos Anomaly

Well it does actually have all the right features of an arena type map or something

Other wise MAP01 and Tricks and Traps. I don't really have a favorite custom DM.

Dew seems to hate that map in all modes, not just deathmatch :p

Phobos Anomaly isn't that bad, if you like chaingun and shotgun fights. Dead Simple is a good place to learn BFG tricks and can be fun in a 2-vs-2, but make sure friendly fire damage is enabled, if using a port, so that each team has to be careful with their BFGs, or you'll just get a spamfest.