Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

Tornado outbreak

There was a major tornado outbreak in Oklahoma. 4 people in my town are dead, 10000 (including myself) are without power. School was canceled today. I am getting wireless from McDonald's atm, and my battery is running out, so more info if/when available.

I saw major tornado threats on weather.com yesterday. Sorry to hear about that. Good luck with everything.

Quasar said:

There was a major tornado outbreak in Oklahoma. 4 people in my town are dead, 10000 (including myself) are without power. School was canceled today. I am getting wireless from McDonald's atm, and my battery is running out, so more info if/when available.

AND UNTIL MY PEOPLE ARE FREED FROM THE WHITE MAN THE ATTACKS WILL CONTINU- er..... that sucks, Quasar! don't let Mother Nature give you a swirlie.

I'm at the public library now :P Lots of people in here since there's nothing to do in town.

Unfortunately we have 2 more chances just this week. There's a 20-30% chance of severe storms tonight, and a higher one tomorrow. So we're not out of the woods yet >_>

McDonald's is definitely the place to go. Having a couple extra burgers should keep your feet on the ground when those thrashing winds arrive.

40oz said:

McDonald's is definitely the place to go. Having a couple extra burgers should keep your feet on the ground when those thrashing winds arrive.

The extra surface area would just make up for that in lift.

Good thing I live in Washington State, though. The worst weather we have to worry about is flooding due to rainfall, and even then I live in an area that's on a bit of a hill, so everything drains into Seattle.

Ah hell... forecast here in Missouri says thunderstorms the next two days, which means this bitchin' system is probably going to tear right through here. Totally looking forward to that... fucking hell.

This is already the hardest week of the year for me. If this is half as bad as what your describing... eesh. Good luck to ya.

So many people live in places with crazy weather and/or disasters. We seem to suffer none of this. (I no longer consider -40 winters to be suffering.)

We had a contaminated water plague here in MA, and it was fucking infuriating watching everyone freak out. My store was being mobbed by lazy idiots bawling their eyes out over the inability to take a shower...while a oil spill threatens the gulf, earthquakes hit bad parts of the world, and people die pointless deaths over stupid shit.

Fuck my state.

The only problems my area suffers from is being boring.

Not a lot happens here in Ontario. The occasional bad snow storm or that ice storm we had a number of years back that caused multi millions to fix.

I'm sure glad I don't live in tornado alley. I'm still not out of the woods on the weather though. It's been raining here for about 3 weeks straight, with only a clear day about once a week. That's what I get for living on an island. D:<

Aliotroph? said:

So many people live in places with crazy weather and/or disasters. We seem to suffer none of this. (I no longer consider -40 winters to be suffering.)

Right now, I live somewhere with a very stable climate and in which natural disasters are very rare (the UK). The main danger is getting depressed from the thick blanket of cloud that hangs in the sky for way too much of the time. I think I may only have been to one place with a more stable climate, namely Macquarie Island. But they do get earthquakes there, often quite big ones (no great surprise given its geology).

However, I shall soon be moving to Minnesota (formally; I have spent much of the last year there as a visitor). The all-time low temperature for the state is -60 (with a high of 115). Indeed, it gets harsher winters than Svalbard, in the high Arctic. The most rain that has fallen in a 24-hour period is, I believe, 13 inches. But it's often very dry. Dry enough in winter to have the skin cracking off my fingers unless I'm very careful. Tornadoes, however, are a little rare by midwest standards, but certainly do happen.

I live in Washington state. I don't have to worry about silly little things like weather. Instead, I just have to worry about the EARTH ITSELF TRYING TO KILL ME WITH EARTHQUAKES AND VOLCANOES AND SHIT.

Aliotroph? said:

Over here in the Eastern part of the country, we get these damned hurricane jobbys coming up the coast. Thankfully that don't happen too often and most of them veer off or whatever.

Worst I have to worry about for now is a plague of mice looking for somewhere warm before winter sets in.

This morning around 4:00 I jumped out of bed because my entire house was shaking. Straight-line winds in excess of 90 mph ripped through here, and apparently spun up a small tornado only a few hundred feet down the road.

Giant trees are pulled out of the ground, cars are wrecked, porches and carports are trashed, sheds are flattened, business signs are broken out. My late grandmother's flag pole was bent down to the ground, and the water conservation shed next to her house looks like a brontosaurus sat on it. There's even an electric meter which has been hurled into the air and is now dangling from the power lines above. It's surreal, like something out of a movie.

I live in central TX, and surprisingly, we have yet to see anything really severe. Though, we are usually on the tail end of Thor's PMS rage, it can get pretty bat-shit at times.

Oh, and I hope a flying cow doesn't wreck your shit. [/terrible movie reference]

40oz said:

McDonalds is the place to rock
It is a restaurant where they buy food to eat
It is a good place to listen to the music
People flock here to get down to the rock music