Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sharessa

$treet$ of Plenty

Here's an interesting documentary I just watched. If you've ever been to Vancouver, then it shouldn't be a huge surprise to you. Still, it's pretty good.

$treet$ of Plenty

I wonder if the taxpayers know that their money goes into gym equipment and nice, new bunks for the homeless. But perhaps it was all donated. And the taxpayer doesn't care either way as long as they don't have to see it? The story didn't get into available programs to reintegrate the homeless back into society. Seemed to 'enable' the homeless mentality. The shelters in my city aren't nearly that nice and in the bad neighborhoods you don't worry about being hit with a bottle. You worry about being hit with bullets. Vancouver looks like a beautiful place to live, though. You'll find bad neighborhoods in ANY major city.

Pretty crazy is an understatement.

Guess he found out he didnĀ“t have substance abuser tendencies. Maybe because he got ripped off and took some bad horse - thank God for that! A pretty big gamble in my book.

bytor said:

I wonder if the taxpayers know that their money goes into gym equipment and nice, new bunks for the homeless. But perhaps it was all donated. And the taxpayer doesn't care either way as long as they don't have to see it? The story didn't get into available programs to reintegrate the homeless back into society. Seemed to 'enable' the homeless mentality. The shelters in my city aren't nearly that nice and in the bad neighborhoods you don't worry about being hit with a bottle. You worry about being hit with bullets. Vancouver looks like a beautiful place to live, though. You'll find bad neighborhoods in ANY major city.

Yeah, but in Vancouver it's really striking. You'll be touring the city and the whole thing is beautiful and high-class, then BAM you hit the poor district and suddenly junkies everywhere. It's very striking. In other cities, like Seattle, the change between such districts is fairly gradual and not as severe. I mean, you'll see a few panhandlers and people sleeping in alleys, then at night a few more unsavory sorts will be seen walking about, but that's about it. In Vancouver, however, there are junkies walking around in the streets, obviously high, in broad daylight. Even weirder is that this part of town is sandwiched between a couple of the tourist districs, so you can easily just wander in there by accident.

One thing I didn't like was that this documentary almost became too much about the guy himself. Perhaps it was because he was going a little crazy, but still like bytor said it didn't get into the re-habilitation as citizens process. Maybe because there wasn't such stuff going on? I don't know.

Anyway, I loved when he talked to the mayor. Major ass whuppin

Politicians are like those talk box things with prerecorded phrases on them. You can ask them any questions you want, but you're only going to get the same few responses out of them. It's like they don't even have thinking brains anymore.