Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wildweasel

StyleMod - An off-beat gameplay mutator

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/JgBNUKoNel/wwxp-mutator.pk3

StyleMod is an entry for CutmanMike's second Doom Mutator Contest, wherein the objective is to create a new gameplay modification using no new sprites or sounds. I've cleverly gotten around this by using ZDoom's text-based composite texture definitions to cobble new sprites from pieces of old ones. Because I use some pretty radical new ZDoom features, you'll need a ZDoom or GZDoom SVN build to run this properly.

The concept: All six of the weapons you'll find in the game will have unlimited ammo. However, they all have powerful alternate firing modes that will cost Style Points to use. These range from a three-round burst on your Pistol, to spread fire with the Tech Laser, to a Macross Missile Massacre with the Swarmer Launcher. You can refill your Style Points by picking up the green orbs dropped by enemies (or through powerups).

A demonstration video, also posted in the Post Your Doom Video thread, of my run of Hell Revealed 2's Map10 (wherein I abuse the "Box of Manliness" powerup and get stuck in a time-locked door).

Please tell me your thoughts, feedback, etc!

Clever stuff!

I am having a great time right now playing through it. If it interests you to, IMO this is a good idea to incorporate into a custom map.

Only thing that irks me is the shotgun, how the 4th shot prompts a reload, rather than it just automatically reloading. I'm just a wimp though.

Good luck with the contest! Hope you win.

sonic_13 said:

Only thing that irks me is the shotgun, how the 4th shot prompts a reload, rather than it just automatically reloading. I'm just a wimp though.

Thing is, I hate it when a gun immediately reloads itself when the gun fires its last shot. This makes it difficult to fire the last shot and then immediately switch to another weapon (like the pistol, which switches twice as fast as all other weapons) instead of having to wait on the reload sequence. Getting trapped in a reload is no fun.

an autoreload feature would be nice for the best of both worlds. Also, what is that music I want it

Patrick said:

an autoreload feature would be nice for the best of both worlds. Also, what is that music I want it

It already autoreloads if you click it while empty or if you just wait around for a few seconds (idle reloading).

The music is the title theme from Pinball Dreams II.

StyleMod's been uploaded to the /idgames archives, since to the best of my knowledge there are no more bugs left in it. Link.