Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Swec

Make big curved staircase?

Hello!

I was getting inspired today to improve my mapping and do some cool sectors (i hope, hehe).
But i have a problem. How do i make a big curved staircase?

EG.

From eg 0 to 90 Degree(what is the right word? not the temperature but the angle?) i think would be perfect.

I think i have seen a tutorial for making stairs very fast and in curved shape. but i cant find it now :(

//Martin

What editor are you using? DB2 (and I think DB1 has this feature?) have a curve linedef function in which you can set the angle of curve and how many vertices you want, which will make getting the right number of stairs pretty easy. You just need to do a little math beforehand.

Also, I think ... boris? was making a stair function that could do a lot of cool things, I'll see if I can find that thread.

E: Here we go, apparently he finished it in the last few weeks. Think I might actually try it, if I get around to upgrading DB2 ...

Make a straight staircase and then move the vertices around (with grid-snapping off).

I am using DB2. i know how to make a linedef curved. but the 'math' that you need to do to make where the linedef and the length of the 2 linedef can take a very long time.

Gotta se if i can use Boris beta version! it is very cool!

EDIT: it dose not support my DB2 version :(

It might be that I make sloppy staircases, but it always mattered more to me how many steps it'd take to reach a height instead of how much space I'd need for those steps. And yeah, he says pretty early on in the thread that you need to upgrade/compile a new version.

Swec said:

it dose not support my DB2 version :(

You need to download an updated version on the DB forums, IIRC.

Swec said:

I am using DB2. i know how to make a linedef curved. but the 'math' that you need to do to make where the linedef and the length of the 2 linedef can take a very long time.

I suppose so, but I wouldn't get all bent out of shape about it. Just make something close to accurate. I've played many maps that featured curved stair cases that looked really crummy in the automap, but in game it looks exactly like what it's supposed to. There are a lot of curved staircases in Knee Deep In The Dead for example that aren't perfect.