Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dannebubinga

Help me fix this HOM

Hi!

I'm right now testing a map I've done in chocolate doom. There are 3 bugs occuring I don't understand at all.

The most critical bug is a big ass HOM.

It is a lift that has the tag SR Lift Lower wait Raise. When you activated the lift and walk past it then turn around looking into the room where you activated the lift, there is a HOM. The red arrow marks the HOM. This bug only occurs in chocolate doom.

all textures around the lift are correct etc. I'm confused.

A peek at the info panel would help. How are the textures arranged on that linedef - lower on the front and upper on the back?

Yeah I know. I figured that out right after i posted.

But the thing is that this Lift is NOT creating any HOM in zDoom but in choco-doom. That's what concerns me.

That's a few segs in view at once. Could be going over the limit. Try this version of chocolate doom and see what it says.

when I run the map in chocorenderlimits that HOM turns all pink. So it's pretty much the same. What do you mean with a few segs?

Edit: The rendering values doesen't go bananas either.

dannebubinga said:

What do you mean with a few segs?

Vanilla Doom (and thus Chocolate Doom) has a limitation on the number of segs in view at once. Read this for a bit of information on them.

You'll have to provide a link to the wad then, otherwise we could only keep guessing. :)

Khorus might have meant the number of linedef's in view.

Vanilla Doom and hence Chocolate Doom, will only render up to, I think, 128, two sided linedef's.

So if there are more than 128 in view, you will get HOM's behind the rest.

The SEG number reads less than 128 even if the lift is up or down. But the SEG says blahblah/256. Doesen't that mean that the game will cause crash or bugs if it goes over 256?

Here is the wad:

http://rapidshare.com/files/391069327/standardbase.wad.html

While you're at it. Let me know if the map looks good :P

I can as well let you know about the 2 other bugs.

-When you enter the dark techy room where the HOM bug is present. Turn around and watch the small stair that leads back to the tekgren room. One of the steps texture is messed up.

-The tekbron door in sektor 149 won't open.

Thanks for the replies so far!

Is a texture wad required for this? Choco Doom is complaining about missing textures and zdoom has the checkered walls over the place.

EDIT: Found out the IWAD was tnt.wad by trial and error so disregard that.

Vermil said:

Khorus might have meant the number of linedef's in view.

Vanilla Doom and hence Chocolate Doom, will only render up to, I think, 128, two sided linedef's.

So if there are more than 128 in view, you will get HOM's behind the rest.

No, if you read the Doomwiki link in my last post you'll see there is a limit of 256 segs.

The wad is made for TNT.

The door doesn't open because you've got other triggers too close to it. In Vanilla Doom, WX trigger types block use commands.

Rebuilding the nodes fixed your "HOM" for me. Maybe you have remnant's of an old sector there.

The back upper texture above the first step is an interesting one. I'm sure someone technical could explain the reason for the unusual offset in this setup.

The stair texture is the tutti-frutti bug. Remove the texture offsets (R in Doombuilder 1).

edit: and rebuilding the nodes fixed the lift HOM for me too. :)

You missing an upper and lower texture on the line?

Also, You can only see 256 sidedefs at once when in view, anything else will not be drawn.

Yes!

I did rebuild the nodes and now it works.

The step with the tuttifrutti-bug got fixed by just changing the texture.

And I made a new sektor with a taged lindef a bit away from the door in sector 149.

Thank you so much for the replies!