Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Solarn

Anyone up for some speedmapping? -FINISHED-

I really enjoyed the last session I started, so I figured, why not have another? Since it's not a weekend, I was thinking of having the session last until 24:00 on Friday (GMT of course), so people with lives can still hopefully find some time to participate.

The time limit for mapping is 100 minutes, as usual, and the theme for this session is METAL2-METAL7. I've seen them used for detail a lot, but I'd like to see some maps based around them.

I can't really begin mapping right away, because it's late at night and I'm tired, but I'll try to make at least two maps for this session so it won't be a total failure even if nobody else is interested. After all, speedmapping is really about challenging myself.

EDIT: Also, because I'm an idiot: the maps should be for Doom 2 (obviously) and Boom compatible.

I might join this speedmapping session since lately I haven't been making much progress on my Doom ep2 project and maybe doing this will help motivate me.

ArmouredBlood said:

32in24 is DM. We're going for SP.

Not all the time. Diet 32in24 was SP. I think there was another one that was SP too but im not sure.

Here's one I started at 7:30 PM PDT and completed at 9:10 PM PDT. No playtesting was done until after it was completed. It was subsequently edited four minutes later to fix a few heinous design bugs.

http://disasterlabs.com/thegreenherring/temp/TGH_SPD_5-24-2010_StartedAt7-30PM.zip

It's entirely possible to finish, just really, really hard. You might want to conserve your ammo.

Title: Metal Massacre
Music: The Lava Powerhouse theme from Sonic Spinball, transcribed to MIDI by SwordBolt

EDIT (9:44 PM PDT): As proof of my statement, here's a UV max demo of this level in 3:52. (PrBoom+ 2.5.0.6, -complevel 9)

Okay, starting my first try now.

Well, I failed by a huge margin. The map's still not ready yet, but I like it enough that I'll post it when it's done.

FDA for smanlokku ;P. Pretty dark in prboom, but fun.

I also have an fda of TGH's map ... and I just could not survive the demons -.- Everything else was fine, I just think it takes great luck to get through that. Although wall-humping seems to do something.

ArmouredBlood said:

FDA for smanlokku ;P. Pretty dark in prboom, but fun.

Nice. :) Yeah, it's darker than it was supposed to be. :I I used my usual gloomy map lightning values and realized that METAL2 is a particularly dark texture too late, and didn't have time to adjust the lightning. Meh, good thing it doesn't matter that much anywhere else in the map except in finding the exit lift and the first arachnotron. And with two sniper chainguns. :)

Okay, here's my failed speedmap. I overshot with the scale and it ended up taking 3-4 hours to make and one more to playtest and tweak. Theoretically, it should be possible in UV, although I only managed to complete it using saves. Ammo balance might be a little iffy. Tested in ZDoom because Doom Builder refuses to let me test my maps in PrBoom+, but I tried to avoid ZDoomisms.

http://www.zshare.net/download/76495431a4f98d84/

Oh, there is a really nasty chaingunner surprise I'm thinking about replacing with imps or HKs. Should I? You'll know it when you see it. It's the single largest cause of failed attempts during my testing.

Solarn said:

Tested in ZDoom because Doom Builder refuses to let me test my maps in PrBoom

Groan, why insist on using the test map-button when you don't need to? Just run the map normally as with any other map.

Jodwin said:

Groan, why insist on using the test map-button when you don't need to? Just run the map normally as with any other map.

Because I'm stupid? Seriously, that never occurred to me.

Anyway, I decided that the chaingunners need to go, and so do the revenants after the imp/HK arena. They're just not fun.

http://www.zshare.net/download/764979333c1d90dd/

Here's my contribution. Music track is from Perdition's Gate Map08. A sloppy UV max is included.

Once again, I missed the deadline and took about 3 hours, playtesting taking a large chunk of that time.

Wow ! Philnemba, your map was a blast to play. I got thoroughly obliterated, yet it was so fun I just couldn't stop playing. It's also amazing to read you didn't test it much, as everything felt spot on.

Here's some demos : FDA with numerous deaths and an accidental exit, UV Max in 0:59, UV Speed in 0:16

Something really weird happened to me on Solarn's map. Nine minutes in, I get imp scratches and I die. The thing is... There's no imps around. I even checked in IDDTx2.

Also of note : like in your first speedmap, many fights can be avoided by not shooting in the first room.

Phml said:

Something really weird happened to me on Solarn's map. Nine minutes in, I get imp scratches and I die. The thing is... There's no imps around. I even checked in IDDTx2.

Also of note : like in your first speedmap, many fights can be avoided by not shooting in the first room.

Yeah, I know. Can't really do anything about it, since many of the monsters teleport in and they need to be alert to do that. I could try conveyor belts, but they aren't really reliable with large numbers like that.

One option could be to change the first switch to "gun" rather than "switch".

Phml said:

Same happened for me, so at least you're not alone.

Oh, and for the record, the song in my map is Machines by Maxime Tondreau and the map took 106 minutes including testing.

Solarn said:

Yeah, I know. Can't really do anything about it, since many of the monsters teleport in and they need to be alert to do that. I could try conveyor belts, but they aren't really reliable with large numbers like that.

You put a voodoo dummy in the same warp room as some monsters?

Wut?

TheMionicDonut said:

You put a voodoo dummy in the same warp room as some monsters?

Wut?

No! That would be retarded. I have exactly one voodoo doll and it can't be accessed by any monsters. My reply was to Phml's second statement, that not shooting in the first room can disable all the monster teleports because the monsters in the warp rooms won't be alerted.

EDIT: By the way, Phml, what did you record your demo in? I tried playing it with PrBoom+, but it didn't work right. That is, unless you actually didn't pay attention to the architecture, bumped into walls and got killed by the first revenant about half a minute in.
Nevermind, figured it out. I had the older version of my WAD, with the chaingunners and revenants. Now that I've played it, I noticed two things:
- Sometimes, when there are multiple teleports, one is not used. Usually the one whose teleport line is farthest from the player's position. This is not really an issue because it doesn't always happen, but it's a bit annoying.
- The archvile's pillar doesn't always open. Possibly the W1 lines in the voodoo doll's path are too close together. I spaced them out a bit.

http://www.zshare.net/download/765076904f5b225a/

I recorded in GLBoom+ v2.5.0.6 with -complevel 9. While I do occasionally bump into walls and get killed by a lone revenant half a minute in, I try to avoid releasing such demos. :)

All of the maps here so far have been awesome. I loved every one of them.

I'm inspired now, so I'll try again. Hopefully, this time I'll manage to keep to the time limit.

EDIT: Failed again. My inspiration left me and I can't create anything worthwhile. I'll just try again tomorrow.

Here's my try of AB's latest map. The way teleporters are set up, imps can get stuck easily and teleport very slowly. Otherwise, it was good.

Just tried Cast Iron Chaos. The lift is tagged as S1 so you can only use it once, and a back texture is missing causing a HOM. Sector 41 (a door) can't be opened and blocks progression.

Well as a wise man once said..."Knobgobbling fuckmints!"

*sigh* Here is a version with those critical errors, along with one that makes a secret area not so secret, fixed.

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/22630721/CastIron.wad

Expect many more of these bugfixes over the next few days. There are two things im known for in speedmaps, one of them is several dozen updates contaiing one textual fix a piece. The other is corners...lots and lots of corners.

EDIT: in retrospect, I really should provide a link for future updates. I also think I need to go to sleep.