Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EmZee712

Doom 1 Megawad Project - Calling Mappers

Since it is late at night and I'm awfully tired I'm going to try and make this as short as possible

So I had this big dream of mine that I was hoping to get 9 mappers together to do a entire Doom 1 Megawad replacing all 4 episodes, all maps. No remakes or enhancements, just brand new maps for the whole thing. Since there is 4 episodes and 9 levels I was thinking each mapper could do a total of 4 maps each map would be for every episode, following the classic tradition of "descending to hell". I can do GFX, midi's, sounds etc. If I have to but if anyone would like to sign on to do that for us that would be great, and you would not be required to map for the wad.

Some background on myself if your interested:
I have been mapping for atleast a year now, and for a year I've been tinkering with most of mapping equipment (Doom Builder, Doom Builder 2, XWE) And I am pretty good at finding glitches around the Doom 2 format so that I can have actions that seem scripted or made with Zdoom in Hexen format but really are not such as Elevators descending into stairs, sectors inside lifts stay at the same height when descending, Invisible walls, windows the list goes on. I map in and showcase most of my wads in a DooM browser called Zdaemon, where I have made a Coop wad (not complete) and 2 1vs.1 maps. Yup so thats it

Requirements:

I've yet to put a name to the wad or to the Team (If we decide to have a name) but this will all be decided as a group along with who works on what

Screenshots:

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af343/Masterzorc/Coop-20100525-002617.png
http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af343/Masterzorc/Coop-20100525-002541.png
http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af343/Masterzorc/Coop-20100525-002530.png
http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af343/Masterzorc/Coop-20100525-002521.png

Download: http://www.wadhost.fathax.com/files/doom1megawad2.zip

Finally got the first level done as a beta and a demonstration of what I expect and what I will provide, it will be called doom1megawad2.wad until I get the team assembled and we can determine a name

PS: I am appreciating all the volunteers, please email me at Aishiteru712@yahoo.com
Or if you want to add me on Xfire my nick is EmZee712 or (masterzorc712) if you can't find it.

EDIT: Due to the latest submissions I have to go over and explain this procedure in full.

Wad Submissions - I'm cool with receiving wads for later episodes but I want to get Episode 1 done first, after each Episode we do a test run of all the levels and see what we can fix up.

Map Designation - If I've yet to assign you a map, please don't begin one, I do have designated map designers and I don't want to hold back good mapping because of that mistake.

Level Design - I don't think people quite understand, I still do want really detailed maps, go on and use custom textures if you like I don't mind! "following the classic tradition of "descending to hell"" Simply means that with each level that progresses the player(s) feel as though they are getting closer to hell, to settle future disputes here is my Episode design plan:

Episode 1 = Techbases
Episode 2 = Techbases with hell creeping in (E.G. broken walls hellish rooms etc.)
Episode 3 = Hell
Episode 4 = Hell Broken (E.G. since the leader died all the Hell structures can't hold it together)

Project Commitment - I know some people out there don't really like the idea of doing 4 separate maps all of different designs, but it's a good chance to expand what you can do. And I do want my co-workers to be loyal and stick around for the 4 maps, if it's something that doesn't suit you then don't do it, simple as that.

Future Wad Goals - This is a NOTIFICATION, I do plan on releasing this Wad as a multiplayer Co-Op once it is finished please remember this!

Taken Positions:

Map1
Map2
Map3
Map4
Map5
Map7
Map8
Map9

Edit II:
I would like it now if anyone can get the Zdaemon Browser installed so we all can keep in contact, plus at the end of every Episode made I plan on playing through the completed Episode to make sure maps are in good condition so I need somewhere thats easy to host and I know it well. It's what I plan to do before continuing to map for the next episode.

Edit III:
What maps a mapper does depends on what Map # they received. E.G. If a mapper is suppose to do Map5 he is to do the same Map5 for Episodes 1, 2, 3, and 4, I choose this method because it helps me keep all the maps organized to their respectful owner and I know exactly what to expect when I get a map back.

I like the idea of this. I think this project can be a successful one. I have always liked the classic Doom style.

I haven't released a map yet but I have nearly finished 2 very high detailed maps for Doom 2, one of which is for the "revamp a 1994 map" project.

While I'm a bit daunted by the idea of creating 4 maps, I'd actually like the chance to take part in this project cos I want to try building faster levels with less gimmicks and more emphasis on the brutal simplicity of Ultimate Doom.

So sign me up :)

EDIT: All four of the areas shown in these screenshots have received extensive work over the last few days making them even more complicated!

Hey. I would like to be part and I also sent an email.

@RMajorRawne: He said Doom 1, not Doom 2. You may have to fix all that with your use of Doom 2 things and textures you have utilized in some of those screens.

Mr. Chris said:

@RMajorRawne: He said Doom 1, not Doom 2. You may have to fix all that with your use of Doom 2 things and textures you have utilized in some of those screens.

I think that's just a "portfolio" of sorts to show what he can do, not his map for submitting.

Anyway. I've already got 2 pretty large level design projects going on so I have no time for to join this project, but best of luck with it.

Oh, and is this using vanilla limits or limitless?

Torn said:

Hey. I would like to be part and I also sent an email.

It didn't show up, give me your email too and I'll contact you

Khorus said:

I think that's just a "portfolio" of sorts to show what he can do, not his map for submitting.

Anyway. I've already got 2 pretty large level design projects going on so I have no time for to join this project, but best of luck with it.

Oh, and is this using vanilla limits or limitless?

Vanilla limits, Doom 1 format style, I wanna make it compatible with anything

EmZee712 said:

Vanilla limits, Doom 1 format style, I wanna make it compatible with anything

Well. Your map causes VPO in the second room with seg overflows all over the place in Choco.

I figure it would cause problems for right now, it's not even finished yet that map is just a small demonstration so far

I could possible join this but I'm too busy with my own Doom ep2 project of mine. Seeing that plenty of other people want to join and you have some nice pics, I wish you luck with this project.

Hey, I like the idea of a Doom megawad. Just played the level, and I have to be honest with you, there were some problems, IMO.

First the good: you have a great eye for unique architecture and a pretty nice sense of detailing. On top of that, you seem to understand the engine reasonably well (e.g. the crate on the lift).

However, there are a couple of things I'd like to comment on. Firstly, the gameplay was just... boring. The level is too large for E1M1 imo. I think it has potential, but it should be shifted back a couple of slots and then repopulated so that the action is more consistent. It'd make a great level with demons, spectres... you know, all that jazz.

Also, here are some awkward details

Here, the sudden change in wall texture is rough. Adding a support texture there would really make the transition smoother.

This shot is just a general aesthetics comment. The stone should be aligned and the tan bordering just feels... outta place. Ashwall would've have worked much better.

Lastly, the floor transitions just look odd. Raising the FLAT23 would make for a much more pleasing appearance.

Also, the doortracks should be lowered unpegged, IMO (or was that intentional?

That being said, I do think you've got some talent, and would love to see this project be a successful one. You just don't see too many Doom megawads these days. I'd certainly be willing to playtest if you're interested.

Oh, and one last question: are you using Doom v 1.9 or the Ultimate Doom? Because UD allows for Doom 2 linedef actions, I believe.

Snakes I understand your concerns about the level, and I always appreciate feedback!

The first shot, yeah I had doubts about that transition but I figure it would make sense later in the long run... Don't like to recycle textures alot

Second one about the Stone texture yeah I know I shoulda leveled that but I was in a rush to try and get this released and there were alot of linedefs that I just didn't want to bother with it, as for the brown flooring, I use two completely different colored textures so people can tell that it is indeed steps

For the doortrak texture not being lower unpegged, yes indeed that is intentional, even though DooM isn't at all realistic I still want to give doors a added effect that show they don't just rise into thin air without any type of mechanism moving it

And I'm just using Doom Builder 2, with Doom 1 format, not going to bother with putting Doom 2 features because I want to stay as classic as possible

Yes I know it was boring and long, but it is the first level so theres not going to be really much action or strong monsters in the first level... And I made it long because I needed room to work, first impressions are always important and I would like to also release this wad for multiplayer

To be honest, I like the idea of the proyect a lot, but sadly I am right now at finals, so my time is limited for this month. But if there is a farther deadline, I wouldn't mind working on it...

First of all i liked that the map reminded me about duke nukem 3d space levels wich are really well made, but i still found a few things disturbing, like the huge "airlock" doors and corridors, you should make the doors work with a swich.

Second, i would like to contribute.

Heres some of my previous works, i advice to try them out.

http://www.wadsinprogress.info/?a=listwads&wad=1349

http://www.wadsinprogress.info/?a=listwads&wad=1392

and some screenshots

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1573/doom0063.png

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/4958/doom0036.png

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/4118/doom0099.png

Malinku, in that second shot...where is the liquid on the sladwall platform actually coming from to flow downwards out of it? :P

esselfortium said:

Malinku, in that second shot...where is the liquid on the sladwall platform actually coming from to flow downwards out of it? :P

It's a fountain?

esselfortium said:

The second map in Ultimate Simplicity features two structures that do the same thing.

qwerqsar said:

To be honest, I like the idea of the proyect a lot, but sadly I am right now at finals, so my time is limited for this month. But if there is a farther deadline, I wouldn't mind working on it...

'Course theres a farther deadline, infact theres no deadline at all, I despise deadlines it makes people work faster then they should, and I want my co-workers to work at a pace they can work in

[QUOTE]Doomiäijä said:
[B]you should make the doors work with a swich.

LOL! My brother, Nightfang actually said he hates using doors that have a switch, they piss him off! Oh the irony of it all. Hell the first door you have to walk in from he complained about because it had a switch :P