Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
magicsofa

Save Names

So, I was wondering how people name their save games. Do you always write a sensible description of the game, or do you put something generic like "Joe1, Joe2", or do you put nonsense? I was just realizing that I have a whole list of nonsense savegames in Zdoom. They are incredibly retarded. Here they are, alphabetically:

assjob
biddies
titties
titttitt
bowling
buckmeinthefut
chest comunti
drink alcohol
ege
egoj
eogj
fag
foux
fu
fuck
fuckme in thebut
fuckmeinthefuck
fuckmybut
fux
fuxandahalfw
fuxe
fuxeee
fuxerre
ge
gfe
gl
gl2
gogooooooooo
heredick
heretarded
hertickler
herticklety
hexenatorius
itsame
lickmypussy
mike
mikenightmare
mikenightsecret
mikeytyy
morp
murp
nickolass helpa
ruba
strifeal
striferere
testes
vagina

As you can see, about 5% are actually descriptive (ruba, bowling) but most of them are just completely stupid

Dan00, Dan01, Dan02, etc.

For some reason, though I've been naming the saves in my latest Fallout 2 games after whatever I'm doing in the game at the moment ("Leaving Den", "Saved Modoc", Vault City Bastards", etc.). I used to do this a lot in the old adventure games I used to play. For Doom PWADS, I sometimes just name them after the PWAD.

Damn, I had even posted a screenshot of my ZDoom saved games somewhere...however I used crass naming such as:

ass
fuck
ass blasting action
shit
shitfuck
crap
motherfucker
fucked up shit
cock
cunt
piss
etc.

Really. Ask Jodwin if you don't believe me.

Looks like I'm a pervert here, no "fucks", "vaginas", etc. in my names:

Doom2.exe:

m203
m212
m227nomo
m210yk
m205

(each slot is used for practicing tricks)

PrBoom+:

insrtion5
lovelydoormain13
sid1mainhall
mm203nomo
cc205
main24armor
arcadiahom

(some of the above are used for architecture reference, "15" is doom2, MAP15)

My saves in Stalker are descriptions of where I was or what I was doing at the time. They're not very good because I'm lazy, but they suffice.

My saves in RTS games usually identify who's playing, the level and the point in the mission with nice spelling. I got into that habit after my best friend in grade 8 showed me C&C. I use the same scheme in adventure games like Star Trek: 25th Anniversary.

My Daggerfall saves are briefly descriptive. They have names like "Current QS" (the slot I use like a quicksave), "backup", "backup2" (incremental saves or just multiple copies at one point, since Daggerfall has a reputation for toasting save files), and some of them have names like "glitch testing."

In DooM I usually use names that are too short and might describe the level or pwad I'm playing. Half the time they're crap like "test" or "alio1."

I haven't done the giant lists of stupid names since I was a kid. Lots of our Star Trek saves as kids had names like "AWESOME DUDE YAAAAAA!!!!"

It all depends on what the save is for. While playing I mostly rely on autosaves and when saving inside a level I use non-descriptive names like 1, 2, aa, aaa etc.

I only use more meaningful names when I plan to keep a savegame for special purposes like testing a bug or using it for benchmarking.

crap01
ohgodiamgoingtodie
whatwasidoinghere
boned2
wearealldead
nooooo
fuckme
test_minebomb
SODEAD

and this is just for zdoom.

magicsofa said:

LOL rf', are you bad at doom??

What'd ya think if I told you I have a savegame named "cow molester"?

Either the pwad name, or something random. Some from my list:

a
adasdsadas
adsadsasdsasafafs
as
asd
asdasd
asdasd
asdasdasdadadsdasas
blah
boobs
clasep
heheheheheheheharfs
hehheheh
qs
sopipo
sss
ssssssave

Episode name, mod name, or map name. Plus " Quicksave" (with a space at the beginning so it's always on the top of the list) which I use for any mod I don't care keeping a save of.

Maes said:

Damn, I had even posted a screenshot of my ZDoom saved games somewhere...however I used crass naming such as:

<snip>

Really. Ask Jodwin if you don't believe me.

I would not believe you if you claimed you didn't name your save like this.

When I was little I always wrote my thoughts about the situation I was in into the savegame slot, like "WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS" or "HAHAHA THIS IS FUNNEY" or "I KILL YOU!!!" and sometimes even whole sentences.

Now I only use this:

ASDASD
Writing this is almost like a reflex, I always hit those keys without thinking when I dont know what I am writing.

or

DDDDDDDD
all the time, sometimes with more or less Ds

I don't ever use the save button anymore but usually it's the PWAD name.

bob
bob2
bob3
bob4
etc.

Anytime a game asks me for a name it's also always "bob".

I rarely hang on to save games in Doom. So, I usually call them either mook or meek (don't know why) and if I make another one, mook1 mook2 etc.

If it is a game that I have never played before and it is one that I think I may need some clues if I find that I need a save game to go back to, I will use names like "outside the tunnel" or whatever. Of course, lots of games automatically put descriptive titles and some form of timestamp in the save name.

Mine are usually in the format of:
PWADNAME_#

Where as Icarus would be:
ICARUS_1 = Save 1
ICARUS_2 = Save 2

Etc...

For me it's generally just random characters combined with short dirty words (e.g. "blowmesdfasdfasdfas"), the larger the name, the newer the save is, I just don't bother using numbers.

I swear I've seen a thread like this before.

In Doom, the save is named after the pwad (if I even save at all). In RTS games, the save is named after which mission I'm on. So C&C saves would be something like GDI1 or NOD3. I always save at the beginning of each mission for some reason.

For RPGs I just name the save after my character's name, and I'll generally have like 50 different saves for them. Pavera1.. Pavera2.. Pavera3.. Pavera18.. Pavera45 etc.

I'm boring.

magicsofa said:

LOL rf', are you bad at doom??

Maybe he's just thinking up clever synonyms for "Doom".

40oz said:

I don't ever use the save button anymore but usually it's the PWAD name.

In Doom, I pretty much always just play through the .wad without stopping. Because of ZDoom's autosave, I don't have to worry as much about dying. If I do make a save for it, I rarely get back to it. This explains why I've never played all the way through Doom 2. :P

Depends on the game I am playing.
Doom = Mithral Demon (MD) "wad" "map"
Black and White 1/2 = Merithor "animal/Creatuer" "Save file number" (Because I play the game through and through multiple times it'd be like this Merithor Wolf1, or Merithor Lion2)
Steam Based Games like Garry's Mod, Half-Life, Portal = no choice. ._.;
StarCraft/WarCraft = "Map Name + #"

I'm boring I know.

In Doom I just use the wad name, and maybe the level number.

In Fallout I used to use clever slogans to describe what I had recently just done or just visited, and example being "Biggest Little Shithole" after reaching New Reno.

Most of the time I just use whatever default naming schema that games default to, unless it's just "New Save" or whatever. I try to make it relevant to whatever I was doing to make it easier to remember.

I generally just use my username with whatever WAD I'm using.
Primeval_WOS
Primeval_Sunder
Primeval_TNT
etc

1-99, then a1-a99, then b1-b99 etc

If the game has campaigns, missions, career paths I usually hit a new letter earlier to mark that.

I tend to forget what I'm doing if I don't play a game often enough, so I tend to make (relatively) descriptive titles for my saves, though sometimes I just rename them to silly stuff, like in CyberMage, I named one of my save games "I shot Mimi, thrice", because the female arena fighters in the second area reminded me of Mimi from the Drew Carey Show.