Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well, the time has come for me to post my first wad. It's not spectacular, but maybe it's what ya'll would expect for somebody's first map. Here's the link to this Doom 2 level 1 replacement.

http://www.mediafire.com/?j54zz4zynmz

It's fairly difficult, and only one difficulty setting for now (which would be UV, no matter which one you pick). I worked out all the errors, and the level is beatable. Feel free to post comments, compliments, or even rip me to shreds! ^_^

The only thing I couldn't get down pat were the textures for some switches, for some reason it seems like the wall splits them in 2 opposite halves instead of being 1 whole texture, but that's alright for now i think... the switches still work anyways.

A couple of questions aside on top of your guys comments if you don't mind.

1) How do I end up combining maps so I can eventually make a megawad?
2) How do I name my level (I went to Map Options and changed level name from Map01 to InfectedBase, however it did not show up as InfectedBase when I pressed tab during testing, or when I completed the level).

Thanks in advanced, and enjoy guys!

I'm actually using the first Doom Builder, I did not know there was a second one before I downloaded the first one and started taking tutorials on it. Is it much different than the first one? Learning the first one was a bit time consuming for me since I work 2 jobs, but I managed to make this mapping stuff a new hobby for me ^_^.

Thanks for the tip. I was thinking about making a separate sectors and just lowering the ceiling height for the switches so that it just appears to be one, but that would just prove that I can't successfully make a single switch texture on a wall yet **

Crap guys ya'll have to scratch that copy, I just realized I didn't move the starting point back to the actual starting point. Here is the actual file, with the starting point where it SHOULD be.

EDIT:
Well for some reason the mediafire site is not letting me connect to it, so I guess the wad will have to wait. Once I can connect to the site, I will post the link to the download.

DoomHero, if you happened to get the download before the mediafire site went down, the start point is these coordinates if you feel like editting the file yourself. -602, -253

EDITx2:

This should be the link hopefully.....

http://www.mediafire.com/?mtmz2dzgz13

Okay, definitely download DB2. It will make texture alignment a lot easier with the new 3d mode. In the first room, change the texture with the grating to something else and maybe raise up that area so it will look like a more realistic blood pool, or get rid of that texture and make the blood pool irregular, I never see square puddles in real life ;). The door textures are off. If you're using the grid and your door is 8 units off or whatever, you can go into 3d mode and manually move it over to look right or go into the sidedefs panel and type in how many units you want it to be offset. I would do it for you, but then I would be depriving you of a learning experience, go try it out, re-upload the map, and I'll take another look. One last thing, put more health and ammo in. Right now it's just tedious.

I got work very shortly so unfortunately I won't be able to do this until later tonight in about 8 hours time, but I will definitely look into all these issues, thanks for the tips, they are really appreciated. For now if you feel like playing through it, feel free. I don't know how much of it you played but being the one who made the map, I definitely know what you mean about it being tedious. Lots of W1 traps and only 7 different types of enemies with a total of over 1500 enemies overall in the level ;). For now, enjoy the struggle if you plan on trying it. Playing through the whole level will also help me when you find other things to point out, so maybe 8 hours from now I will come back and find some more critisizm. As for the health and ammo, it's supposed to be fairly difficult. The single barrel and the chaingun are the only 2 weapons, and not including the ammo that's on the floor already, there is plenty of former humans/sargeants and chaingunners to feed off of ^_^. The shortage of health is intentional, I originally had more health in the level, and playing through it from start to finish multiple times made me lessen the medpacks a bit, granted I pretty much remembered where every trap was. Just make sure you get the secret before you drop down the pit after the red key door ;).

Thanks again! ^_^

It seems you got the basics or making rooms and doors, but the texture alignment, appearance and actual design of the map needs A LOT of work. Not trying to bring you down, just try a little harder and I'm sure you can make something great.

Thanks mate, I plan on fixing this up and reuploading it on mediafire later on. Just got outta work so I need to get a few drinks in me before I work on this :D.

I tried messing with texture alignment a little bit, but before I even start making changes, I think I'm just going to download DB2 and learn that. I'm really hoping the majority of the way the map building works from DB to DB2 isn't much of a difference.. perhaps just easier... ^_^

I wont judge detail, because as a new mapper I know how difficult it can be to add even small details.

It was a lot longer than I had expected, which is a good thing. I liked the room with the tall bloodfall stairs, as well as the 2 following rooms.

The room directly after the bloodfall stairs, with the star in the middle, is way too dark and makes the player search the walls for the door. Also in that room, when the Imps teleport in, it takes -forever- for them to all come out which makes for a rather boring wait.

Other than these few things, and a bit of monster spam, it was pretty good. I'd like to see what you could come up with if you took more time on it.

Very rough but somehow cool. The chaotic factor is always a plus.
I would structure it better - arrangement of the rooms for example.

Good luck.

Thanks a lot for the input gentlemen, right now I'm rearranging some textures so that they don't overlap or look like they were cut off by the floor, ceiling, or doors. I'll upload the file again once I fix it up, hopefully it'll look pretty good, then maybe I can start on my second map ^_^.

Ok so I fixed all the textures, did the best I could without making too much change. Here's the new upload.

http://www.mediafire.com/?jwnz2mytnnt

Hope ya'll enjoy. Going to start making my second map shortly.

EDIT:
You must have just tried to download it after I deleted the file, I just did this like a few seconds ago. Better file is up and running though, enjoy!