Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey gang,

Well bad news my friends. I've hit the maximum number of linedefs allowed for my industrial zone level and now DB2 won't let me draw any more. So I'm going to put this level on hold and hope that a new version of DB2 comes along sooner rather then later that lets me draw more. If one does not then eventually I'll just have to hack away at this thing until I can make a complete level fit.

But I really don't want to wait 2 years (or however long it will be) before I show this thing to anyone. So real quick I threw together a playable version of what there IS complete. Sooooo if you want to play a half-done level I've provided a d/l link below. I'm pretty sure you won't get stuck in it and there is an exit tacked on, so it will play all the way through. But as you will be able to see there's a lot still needing to be done. No promises that the ammo balance etc will be good.

I hope you enjoy what is made for now:) This is a level that is meant to be a followup to Awakening, where once you've escaped the UAC base you wander into this industrial zone. I plan on eventually making a complete episode, the 4th and final chapter of my 'Beginning of the End' series.

I deleted a bunch of unused textures and crap before uploading this, so hopefully I didn't delete any I actually used.

Ultimate DOOM, Zdoom, e4m1. Jumping, crouching, and swimming are required. Feedback is always welcome!

Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/?0h3h918bkyifzmh

Thanks for all your support.

NT

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OP:

Greetings,

I'm currently working on My next WAD. It's an industrial zone. Just wanted to give a little tease for you guys.

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/emilharold/Screenshot_Doom_20100531_121206.png

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/emilharold/Screenshot_Doom_20100531_121029.png

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/emilharold/Screenshot_Doom_20100531_122328.png

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/emilharold/Screenshot_Doom_20100531_121230.png

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/emilharold/Screenshot_Doom_20100531_120945.png

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/emilharold/Screenshot_Doom_20100531_124039.png

Should be done and ready for release around 2014 :P

Those screen shots look amazing, especially the bridge scene.

Can't wait to see this! I will be watching this thread for updates and progress. Good luck!

This looks pretty fantastic. You've got some really epic-looking scenes, and you've pulled off the outdoor, industrial city look really well.

I think some parts are currently letting it down a bit, though, and could look better:

I have to say I really don't like the tekgren, pipe, and metal2 usage in the second-to-last shot. In addition to not really melding very well with the appearance and style of most of the other textures you've used, the alignment looks a bit sloppy with cutoffs and whatnot.

The tan doors on the left side of the bridge shot appear to have slightly odd x-alignment, and they could also use a bit more of an overhang in front of them instead of just the thin one you've got that's essentially just a support3 outline with the same textures inside it and a flat shape.

The sky could also use some cleanup: the edges of the buildings make it very obvious that they were pasted on from a different backdrop; a bit of affection would go a long way towards making it appear like a continuous image.

Adorned SKY4 for the win.
Custom monsters for the fucking win. They even happen to be the same choices as mine too, the archon, agaures (or roach? I can't make up my mind) and devil are terrific.

Nice shots! I see that you keep the same grand style as your "Awakening". Keep up the good work. ;)

Looks nice, the shots did impress me. The tekgren doesn't look all that good a large surface, it repeats too much imo. In the same shot maybe replace the computer textures near the ceiling with something different.

Cool map, its has some nice views. It definitely looks convincing enough to be an idustrial zone.

Looks awesome! I for one like the tekgreen textures, though the ones with vertical pipes do look out of place. Might consider some other light source than the TALLBLUEFIRESTICKs in the 2nd-last shot, but that's just my opinion. This looks really neat.

The shots look awesome! Also, what texture pack are you using? I really like the metal beam texture and the fence texture in the shot with the bridge.

One thing: I see you are using the "Archon of Hell" and some form of enhanced cacodemon. If you're going to use the bestiary, could you use some monsters that we haven't seen a thousand times? Some suggestions of monsters that I think would go well in this set:

The Crackodemon: never seen it used before, but I tested it out myself. It's pretty awesome!

The Dark Cardinal: Flying cyberdemon on crack basically.

Poe: Very scary looking cacodemon type.

Pyro Demon: Just take a look.

Thamuz: Another cyberdemon with a power complex.

Anyway. Looks cool so far.

That sky is ugly man. If you just take the city part of it, open it in Irfanview, recolor it to orange, convert it to doom pallete, and put it back, it should fit perfectly. Right now it's got little bits of the old sky in it.

esselfortium said:

This looks pretty fantastic.

I have to say I really don't like the tekgren, pipe, and metal2 usage in the second-to-last shot. In addition to not really melding very well with the appearance and style of most of the other textures you've used, the alignment looks a bit sloppy with cutoffs and whatnot.

The tan doors on the left side of the bridge shot appear to have slightly odd x-alignment, and they could also use a bit more of an overhang in front of them instead of just the thin one you've got that's essentially just a support3 outline with the same textures inside it and a flat shape.

The sky could also use some cleanup: the edges of the buildings make it very obvious that they were pasted on from a different backdrop; a bit of affection would go a long way towards making it appear like a continuous image.

I like the tekgreen... it doesn't line up perfectly at places, but with the 90 degree angles it looks all-right in most places. I'm not really the type to add SUPPORT3 or what have you at every given intersection (or any other technique), for better or for worse. Gets old!
That door isn't actually misaligned. It's protruding out of the wall, in fact. That building's actually just an elevated floor and thus can't be entered, and also can't have an indented door. May seem a bit strange at first, but you get used to it pretty quick. Strictly decorative!
I'm not much of an artist, but I'll try tweaking the sky a bit to see what I can come up with. Might not even use that one in the end. who knows.

While I got ya, I was hoping to use a few textures I found in GW2. Mind if I do?

Chex Warrior said:

Looks great, what sourceport is it for? Looks like your using ZDoom.

Indeed. I'm SLOWLY learning Hexen format.

iori said:

Looks awesome! I for one like the tekgreen textures, though the ones with vertical pipes do look out of place. Might consider some other light source than the TALLBLUEFIRESTICKs in the 2nd-last shot, but that's just my opinion. This looks really neat.

If Mr. Drip Feed says to make the change then it must be done!! Also, there are lights in the ceiling. Look up man!

DoomHero85 said:

The shots look awesome! Also, what texture pack are you using? I really like the metal beam texture and the fence texture in the shot with the bridge.

One thing: I see you are using the "Archon of Hell" and some form of enhanced cacodemon. If you're going to use the bestiary, could you use some monsters that we haven't seen a thousand times?

I've stolen textures from all over. there's some quake packs in there, duke3d, doom2 (this being a doom1 wad), recolorings, you name it.

I plan on using a TON of new monsters from realm667's beastiary. When I'm not stealing textures or editing I'm checking out those monsters and seeing which ones I like. Currently I've got a whooping 30 in reserve I like enough to consider including in my custom wads. Thamuz is in there. That enhanced caco you see there IS a crackodemon (though nerfed quite a bit). I'm not going to give away any more though :) Check out awakening to get a taste.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16043

My thanks to all of you for the replies! I guess I better keep working on it!

NT

I'm not really the type to add SUPPORT3 or what have you at every given intersection (or any other technique), for better or for worse. Gets old!

Neither do I, really. I almost never use support textures for anything other than actual support pillars or the like. I use other, less flat methods for separating textures of materials. ;)

I just don't think the TEKGREN fits the theme of the area at all. I'd go with maybe a somewhat grungier, more textured one (maybe the Greenwar2 ones, even) to match better with the floor, and bring together the room's color scheme more by putting some highlights that match it on the floor. Like, if you made a flat of 64x64 tekgren (or grungy tekgren, or whatever) panels, and put a couple of rectangular sectors of it spaced neatly across the center of your floor.

Also, if you're going to keep the blue torches (personally I'd go with some nice-looking sector-built lamps, but it's up to you), I'd build some sort of map structure around them; they look totally out of place just sitting there by themselves on the flat-topped platforms. Some matching blue highlights on or near the ceiling would also be appropriate to help them fit in better.

esselfortium said:

I just don't think the TEKGREN fits the theme of the area at all. I'd go with maybe a somewhat grungier, more textured one (maybe the Greenwar2 ones, even) to match better with the floor, and bring together the room's color scheme more by putting some highlights that match it on the floor. Like, if you made a flat of 64x64 tekgren (or grungy tekgren, or whatever) panels, and put a couple of rectangular sectors of it spaced neatly across the center of your floor.

Also, if you're going to keep the blue torches (personally I'd go with some nice-looking sector-built lamps, but it's up to you), I'd build some sort of map structure around them; they look totally out of place just sitting there by themselves on the flat-topped platforms. Some matching blue highlights on or near the ceiling would also be appropriate to help them fit in better.

Thanks for the tips, I'll see what I can do. I found a few of your TEKGREN textures from GW2 that may panel a little better. That's the most beautiful WAD I've ever seen, by the way. Very inspirational.

I'm trying to go for the feel of hell creeping into the area. From the outside all of the buildings look pretty normal, but those you can enter have a slightly more hell theme, such as those blue torches and SKIN textures here and there and everything else. I'll try to spruce up the torches a bit though.

NT

So when do you expect this wad to be completed (besides 2014)? Not trying to rush you, I just really want to try it. Will you be releasing a demo?

Looks very impressive.

I'd use the MAP12-20 sky from Doom 2.

Wowza! That looks pretty cool; I love the heavy industrial epicness of the structures. Everyone else seems to have covered any critiques I would have had so I'll just keep my mouth shut. I'll be looking forward to playing this :)

Urban industrial maps are the love of my life. Keep it up, man.

pcorf said:

I'd use the MAP12-20 sky from Doom 2.

I wouldn't. The current sky provides great contrast with the grungy building textures. It just needs a bit of clean up.

brinks said:

Urban industrial maps are the love of my life. Keep it up, man.

I wouldn't. The current sky provides great contrast with the grungy building textures. It just needs a bit of clean up.

Yea I tried using that sky initially and it looked pretty cruddy. gonna make an attempt at the color change suggested by 40oz and see if i can pull it off. wish me luck!

BTW 40oz, you may recognize a few UAC Ultra textures in there. Thanks for those!

Also in an off-topic remark, Ismaele was kind enough to write an in-depth review of my last work, Awakening. you can find it on his great web site here: http://www.webalice.it/sposito.lag

My deepest gratitude for doing the review!

This is awesome!

Just a thought. YOu could perhaps use the mutant imp from Realm667, might work really well for this.

Keep it up. Looks very, industrial.

This looks sweet. I can imagine the gameplay along with a rockin' Industrial tune BGM. If you want, I can probably supply one for ya. Really looking forward to this release!

PRIMEVAL said:

This looks sweet. I can imagine the gameplay along with a rockin' Industrial tune BGM. If you want, I can probably supply one for ya. Really looking forward to this release!

Ah thanks for the offer. But I'm afraid that, keeping with tradition of my original works from the 90's, I'm going to be using some good ol' butt rock as the sound track. For better or for worse. Well, actually currently I'm planning on using a MIDI of a TOOL track. But close enough.

If future projects I'd love to see what you got though!

NT

I agree with PRIMEVAL but I don't care: those shots are incredible! My 'Doom Inspiration' folder is exploding right now :-).