Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bimlanders

Downgrading Ultimate Doom to Doom 1.1

Well, I downloaded the patch and the instructions told me to run setup after I've installed the patch. The only problem is that there is no setup file in my Ultimate Doom folder. I have successfully converted the .wad file to the older version, but I lack a working .exe to run to the game in dos mode, as the existing Doom95.exe won't load in dos. Thanks for any help.

Shall I take that the /idstuff part of /idgames is actually a mirror of id's site, and Ty can't just copy files there?

Graf Zahl said:

Try to find an 1.1 demo version and use its EXE.

Thanks, this worked as long as I enter the command line: doom -file doom.wad. Otherwise it says 'missing file' or some such.

Finally! I just recorded the entire soundtrack from the dos version. I've always felt that the sound blaster from dos sounded much better than what we get with the win95 version.

Probably yet another poor soul confused about Doom's dedicated FM (AdLib, SoundBlaster) timbres under DOS, and generic "General MIDI" FM Timbres under Windoze. They both are "Sound Blaster", and yet they are not ;-)

If I recall it's possible to use "General Midi" even with an OPL2/OPL3 SoundBlaster, at least from certain card/drivers revisions onwards and with some MPU emulator TSR resident. In this case, most games will revert to stock timbres even if otherwise they have direct SB support, not sure what Doom did in this case.

Maes said:

If I recall it's possible to use "General Midi" even with an OPL2/OPL3 SoundBlaster, at least from certain card/drivers revisions onwards and with some MPU emulator TSR resident.

What would be the point in this? Doesn't every DOS game with MIDI support also have its own OPL driver? I've never seen a DOS game with MPU but no OPL support.

Never_Again said:

Few cards offered FM synth in Windoze.

Actually, pretty much every cheap soundcard of that time I've seen had a Windows driver for playing General MIDI that way. This changed when OPL chips became less common.

LogicDeLuxe said:

What would be the point in this? Doesn't every DOS game with MIDI support also have its own OPL driver? I've never seen a DOS game with MPU but no OPL support.

It was a mixed bag: some had their own drivers and "instrument" files for OPL chips (Doom, Fifa International Soccer, Body Blows, Peter Box, Apogee Games etc.) and some just piggybacked on e.g. the Miles Sound Library (e.g. "Bubble Bobble and Rainbow Islands Enhanced" for PC, PowerDrive etc.), which sucked ass in comparison.

Maes said:

and some just piggybacked on e.g. the Miles Sound Library (e.g. "Bubble Bobble and Rainbow Islands Enhanced" for PC, PowerDrive etc.), which sucked ass in comparison.

I remember the Miles drivers. I never considered them as MPU emulators, though. And I'm not surprised that they can't compete with Doom etc., since the composer has no control on how the OPL is programmed with just GM data.