Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Download: reality03.zip (-complevel 9 for MAP01-02, -complevel 2 for MAP03)

Random limit-removing speedmaps designed for Boom compatibility (MAP01-02) and Vanilla compatibility (MAP03), intended to be played "Reality" style, which means you can't get hurt at all. Play on UV to start with 1 health.

MAP01

That's a pretty cool idea. I like it, but it seems you don't actually have only 1 health. I am able to keep walking around, I just can't shoot anymore after I am hit.

Yeah, I really like the reality/max category (especially on infinite ammo coop wads). I don't know what's up with that weirdness (I wrote that in the 'known bugs' section). I put a voodoo doll in a dummy sector next to a barrel so that it takes you down to 1 health. I could've set the starting health to 1 in dehacked, but I used the barrel/voodoo doll instead since you can use difficulty settings on the barrel so that you'll only start with 1 health on UV.

Edit: it seems to work fine in ZDoom though

SSG is in a really awkward position, making the imp stairway a lot harder than it should be since you have to switch to it then either switch back to the RL or get really lucky with your ssg shots to not get overwhelmed. Of course that could be intentional, never know with you ;P

E: nevermind, didn't quite notice the imps were 'deaf' -.-

TimeOfDeath said:

Edit: it seems to work fine in ZDoom though

ZDoom changes the behaviour of voodoo dolls so you don't get zombie players. It's pretty obvious from looking at Whispers of Satan map35; although the player keeps picking up soulspheres the voodoo doll you keep shooting into a sequence of teleporters constantly loses health, and dies. This map would only work if somehow the voodoo doll was inheriting the real player's health as you go along, and it turns out that's exactly what's happening. When a doll takes damage it copies its health from the real player before the damage is taken off. It's quite clever really. But I digress.

Anyway what I would do is approach the problem from the opposite direction: use Dehacked to set the player health to 1, but start him off on a stack of medikits that are flagged not to exist on UV. He will then pick them up the instant he moves. Or you could even use a voodoo doll to pick the medikits up! The possibilities are endless.

Cool, thanks for the demo ggg. :)
I like your strategy for killing the imps (I just stay in the start room going back and forth, shooting a few rockets through one way, then through the other way, repeat, etc).

RjY - Yes! Using dehacked and flagging medkits is a much better way, thanks for the help.

RjY said:

ZDoom changes the behaviour of voodoo dolls so you don't get zombie players. It's pretty obvious from looking at Whispers of Satan map35; although the player keeps picking up soulspheres the voodoo doll you keep shooting into a sequence of teleporters constantly loses health, and dies. This map would only work if somehow the voodoo doll was inheriting the real player's health as you go along, and it turns out that's exactly what's happening. When a doll takes damage it copies its health from the real player before the damage is taken off. It's quite clever really. But I digress.

Anyway what I would do is approach the problem from the opposite direction: use Dehacked to set the player health to 1, but start him off on a stack of medikits that are flagged not to exist on UV. He will then pick them up the instant he moves. Or you could even use a voodoo doll to pick the medikits up! The possibilities are endless.

WOS's MAP35 was originally supposed to be MAP32. But it was moved to MAP35 when I discovered the exact problem when you played it in Boom where you would die once you lost 100% health in total. I decided to make a new MAP32.

Cool, thanks for the demos, ggg. I like the way you handled the archviles in the second "village" in your max and speed demos. I had recorded a max demo before seeing yours, but I used your routes for a map01 max and map02 speed.

map01 max 1:50
map02 max 6:15
map02 speed 1:59

demos: reality02-maxspeed-TimeOfDeath.zip

DoomHero: thanks, yeah I'll continue that wad eventually but I'm gonna take a break (not sure when I'll continue). I also have plans for other maps, like: another half-life decay remake -- remake of kakariko village from zelda ocarina of time -- my dad's property/house -- remake of the first island in grand theft auto 3 (instead of stealing cars and driving them, you'll steal rocket launchers and rocket jump down the road to go faster) -- remake of the hotel in silent hill 2

Great demos. TAS players would have a hard time competing with your non TAS runs, heh. I don't think the map01 run was in that zip?

Level two seems to have an unidentified texture somewhere. Boom says:

R_TextureNumForName: ZIS☺ER7 not found
Happy face included :p

lolwut, no idea how that happened, and it only appears once in the first village (I copy/pasted that village for the 2nd one). Thanks.

map03's probably going to be a speedmap remake of the first half of e1m3 from Quake (up until the yellow key door).

So basically

Reality mode = Contra skill (Action DOOM)

At least it'd have falling damage, less speed, less ammo.

Reality mode in Doom demos = not getting hurt at all

I really don't think Contra was the first game to implement one-hit kills. And, luckily in Doom there's no falling damage, a speedy doomguy, and I can put as much ammo as I want. :)

Cool, thanks. There were a few really close calls that made me forget these are reality maps (I thought you'd get hit, but if you beat the map then of course you didn't get hit, heh).

Here's MAP03: reality03.zip (-COMPLEVEL 2 for MAP03)

MAP03 is a remake of part of e1m3 from Quake. USE -COMPLEVEL 2 FOR MAP03. I normally use -complevel 9 to stop overflows and because more stuff with the vanilla line actions works with boom compatibility, but there are only 36 monsters in this map and the map still works with -complevel 2 and the cybers don't get pushed off the bridges or get stuck on them. I used QuArK to look at the overhead view of the Quake map (like the doombuilder view) and built the rooms almost the exact same size (also used the 3D mode in QuArK to see room heights and monsters - I'm a newb in QuArK and only know how to zoom and move the map with the right-mouse button and go into 3D mode).

MAP03

There were a few really close calls that made me forget these are reality maps (I thought you'd get hit, but if you beat the map then of course you didn't get hit, heh).

I started playing Map03 and got so into it I kinda forgot it was reality. At one point I glanced up (PrBoom+'s HUD), noticed I was at 1 health and panicked for a few seconds before coming back to my senses, heh.

lols Phml :)

Cool route ggg, with infighting the cacos with the cyber while killing those two revs. I did 1:47 last night with a similar route.

I dunno what map04 is gonna be. Maybe another Quake remake, or something random, or start working on some other wad.

All well, this is the gist of my route for 02 after some attempts, but I missed like 4 imps like usual. If I got them it might have about tied your time. I think you could do better than your current time though.
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/23319052/reality-02-max-cl9-99percentkills-ggg.lmp
(playing with no sound which is why I didn't pay attention to the imp snort sounds near the end)

heh cool demo. Sorry, I didn't notice the thread bump on the 18th when you posted your older demo. I'll try that route soon. The next map I'm making is a remake of the Toluca Prison from Silent Hill 2. It might be a reality map or it might not, but it'll be for ZDoom.