Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bgraybr

zdoom mirrors

I have a line in my level that uses the zdoom mirror action. It works great, until I add a room behind that line. It now shows up as blank in my room and reflects objects from the other room (see in the screenshot- the chaingun is in the room behind the wall, but you can still see it from the room I'm in). How do I fix this?

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?2dc9272243.png

The rule is that mirrors must have empty void on the opposite side large enough to accommodate everything that the mirror renders. You've probably seen how "mirrors" are done in vanilla Doom, right? You basically copy/paste an area, flip it, and line it up with the original area. ZDoom mirrors need that space used by the "flipped copy".

EarthQuake said:

The rule is that mirrors must have empty void on the opposite side large enough to accommodate everything that the mirror renders. You've probably seen how "mirrors" are done in vanilla Doom, right? You basically copy/paste an area, flip it, and line it up with the original area. ZDoom mirrors need that space used by the "flipped copy".

That's inconvenient. Is there any way to get around this? I'm making a model of my house and I don't want the rooms to be to awkwardly spaced just to make the mirrors fit.

If you don't mind switching ports, the line mirrors in EDGE seem to work quite happily with rooms close behind them.

EDGE or any other OpenGL port. They don't use the same method to draw the mirror, and therefore do not need the void.

bgraybr said:

That's inconvenient. Is there any way to get around this? I'm making a model of my house and I don't want the rooms to be to awkwardly spaced just to make the mirrors fit.

Or you can just use SHAWN2 and we'll be able to understand what it's supposed to be.

Nah, a camera texture is very visibly not a mirror. If you want to use hacky workarounds, you can make a normal ZDoom mirror, and using silent teleport lines to re-establish the illusion that the normal geometry of the house is preserved, even though it's not.

EarthQuake said:

Hmm, could use a skybox maybe, or maybe a camera texture in ZDoom?

Camera's are problematic, you need two of them to get a mirror effect (unless someone knows of a workaround) and the results I've got tend to look grainy.

Gez said:

Nah, a camera texture is very visibly not a mirror. If you want to use hacky workarounds, you can make a normal ZDoom mirror, and using silent teleport lines to re-establish the illusion that the normal geometry of the house is preserved, even though it's not.

Ah yes, perfect solution.