Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaturalTvventy

Doom Furniture Archive

Greetings,

I've played a lot of custom DOOM WADs in my day, and if there's one thing I've noticed, it's that people like to make furniture out of sectors in their WADs. All the time. I'm talking 'tables', 'chairs', 'beds'. For the crap of it I think we should start documenting these creations here on this forum. Let us compare 2.5d furniture throughout the years.

If you wish to contribute to the archive simply post a picture, either of your own creation or someone else's, it matters not. You can submit a caption if you like, but it is certainly not necessary. Let's see how many of these hugely-uncomfortable looking creations we can document.

I shall start this off with my contributions to the trend, first from my 1997 WAD end1, followed by a couple shots from my 1998 WAD, codead2.
end1

codead2

codead2

startan makes a pretty good illusion of a cushion. I've seen a map that uses startan as the seats of a jeep. It looked pretty good but I forget what wad it's in.

This is my favorite piece of Doom Furniture. Kama Sutra MAP12's wheelbarrow.

Here are some ones I remember quite fondly:

^ Map 2 of the Community Chest 1 is probably the best example of a realistic map done well. T.V. somehow managed to pull off a map that both had a fun layout and looked believable as a futuristic police station.

^ Derelict was one of the first wads I played, and it is also still one of my favorites. These polygonal beds were kind of common in doom wads, but it was the first time I saw them. With beds like these, it's no wonder the doomguy is as stiff as a board.

^ Doom Mall. Quite an old deathmatch wad, and still as awesome as ever. I could fill this post with shots from it, but this one speaks for the wad the best I believe. Also this shot has a small invisible staircase, so that the player slam dunks when you run underneath the hoop :).

Of course, who needs furniture when you can have a giant floating dental utensil instead? (Marswar).

40oz said:

This is my favorite piece of Doom Furniture. Kama Sutra

...is full of really cool constructs made with default textures, one of the things I love about KS.

One time I made a WAD out of my current dwelling many years ago, both floors had heavy detail, especially the bedrooms..Hell I even made my own computer out of sectors!

Can't forget the ever-present doom toilets...also TVR!.wad's swimming pool at the beginning of Map05 (sadly, since the diving board was constructed on the ceiling, you can't high-dive into the pool).

Doomsday of the UAC has pretty realistic environments, including a convincing capsized truck at the very beginning. And it's a 1994 map.

Urban Wars Beta has one of the most detailed houses even to appear in Doom, even if it's an early map.

And, even if some people hate them, the Cybie wads are well known for their realistic depictions of beds, toilets, bathtubs, sinks, turkish bathroom stalls etc. especially those outhouses in Cybie 2 ;-)

DooMer 4ever said:

Heh, what a fun idea for a thread. A few of shots from a couple of levels my brother is currently working on:

Wow. Anyone wondering why Doom ain't dead yet ought to take a look at these shots.

While it's not exactly furniture, I like the teddy bear in Kyka's MeaCulpa demo wad.

(960x600 - 52k)

Here's some stuff from the IWADs

Here is some cabinet, security monitor and a cash register machine on a long table..

And here is some memorial tree statue for the hero of the city with paintings of him/her...

I've always been fond of the console from the alphas:

Can't say I like most sector-based furniture, though. Sprites are the way to go for anything that needs to be detailed.

This sounds like an interesting topic ^^

Old early screenshot of one of my maps for Pcorf community project.

Beds and chairs and tables and things with twenty million sectors makes your BSP nodebuilder kill a kitten

arrrgh said:

Beds and chairs and tables and things with twenty million sectors makes your BSP nodebuilder kill a kitten

only if your nodebuilder is shitty. Which, all of them seem to have some quirk about them. :)

I don't have any Screenshots, but there is like a lot of Furniture like desks, computers, tables and such in Hell to Pay. I always thought that was cool!

Clonehunter said:

I don't have any Screenshots, but there is like a lot of Furniture like desks, computers, tables and such in Hell to Pay. I always thought that was cool!

The organ from Deus Vult 2 has been my favorite piece of doom furniture since it was released.

http://img517.imageshack.us/i/doom01.png/

And this was cool when I first came across it in Requiem.

http://img203.imageshack.us/i/doom04.png/

Though neither is conventional furniture and you'll probably never find either in anyone's home (hopefully not the second one, anyway).