Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AveryMaurice

BP admits they can't stop Gulf oil spill until August (earliest).

Don't buy the following products:

Castrol motor oil
ARCO gas
Anything from an ampm store
and of course, BP gas

They are all owned by BP. Fuck their shit, they don't deserve our money.

I'd challenge the notion that BP will go unpunished. Their stock is tanking, the President himself is calling them out, and a declaration like this isn't working well in their favor.

phi108 said:
You and Sarah must think alike, or have a psychic link. Lucky.

In my defence I had consumed several beers just before writing that :-)

@Danarchy:I'm never buying any of those products again 'cause bp owns them AND f$%^ing bp is wercking the planet. They only care about this disaster 'cause it means they can't sell the spilled oil at a high price like $3.04/ gallonf$%^ing bp is wercking the planet. They only care about this disaster 'cause it means they can't sell the spilled oil at a high price like $3.04/ gallon.

I've heato existrd about the gulf oil spil and I think that bp should ceice to exist. There may be criminal charges for bp 'cause they broke a ton of environmental laws. They deserve to be corporately hanged and unable to operate any gas stations.

Amma byu a cainster or two of bp gazolien cuz it be vrey in da near fjutur, knowhatamsayin'?

Yeah, hopefully BP goes to shit for this. There aren't any BPs around here that I can think of, so I can't tell if their business is being affected yet, but goddamn, it better be. I definitely won't be purchasing one of their products ever again. This time, though, my boycott won't be more of a stubborn one-man game, I hope. (Unlike Hardee's/Carl's Jr. and Wal-Mart, both of which will never go away).

I hope the company knows that this is their new image.

E.J. said:

This is the worst man-made ecological disaster ever. The dropping of the a-bombs on Japan had less of an environmental impact than this oil spill will, and this spill will be felt 30+ plus years into the future.

A very sad time for ecological, and conservation, movements... :(

A-bombs on Japan? Those things were nothing at all compared with all the tests that went on later. The interesting and scary ones were the huge h-bombs from the 50s and then the space tests from the 60s.

There are so many other nasty environmental disasters that are just worse. Chernobyl is the obvious example. The others that are horrible would be mostly large chemical spills.

But yeah, BP has a lot to answer for here. It's small comfort to watch their stock tank.

What the hell is boycotting BP gonna do except put more power and control into the hands of the other refineries and "tank" already struggling economies!? Less competition! Drive up prices! Yeah good idea!

And it is soooo ignorant to preassure the US government into doing something about it because the government would CONTRACT with an 'expert' corporation (ie. BP!!!) to deal with it. Do you think BP wanted a PR nightmare and plummetting stocks? C'mon, we're talking about evil, >greedy< 'Big Oil' here, right? So now Obama has to look like he's doing something by throwing BP to the wolves. The media follows suit. And now there will be more power handed over to the government in regulations/fines/fees/restrictions which takes more money out of OUR pockets.

As sickening as it is, OF COURSE this happened! Give me ONE example of human perfection in ANYTHING we do on this planet! You can hand ALL power over to the government but these things will still happen! Would you have us just STOP using oil? Look around you! Oil had a role in EVERYTHING we own! This planet is not a utopia and never will be and humans will never be perfect. Wanna do something REAL to help? Go help clean up a beach. But you can't drive a car there or fly a plane there. And you have to go naked. And eat weeds that you find along the way. Can't use paved streets and walks, either. Otherwise, you're supporting 'Evil Big Oil' BP.

I spent a few years working for BP so let me tell you that corporation was so overly anal about their safety policies! And THAT is due to fines, fees, and lawsuits. ALL corporations have that on their plate. The media is too obedient towards their own agenda and the masses buy it and the government grabs up more control and the wolves are circling! Read between the lines. There's a big power-grab going on and this situation will be used in that. Everybody wants a piece of THIS pie, especially environmental groups with money and politicians in their pockets, the OTHER refineries, etc... ALL want a piece of BP's money and power to add to their own. We...I say WE! will ultimately pay for BP's downfall!

BP is a GLOBAL power. GLOBAL money. This will affect EVERY currency, food, water, clothing, transportation, jobs, etc. We...again I say WE! cut a hole in the ocean floor, lost control of it, and now we can't stop it! OF COURSE! We're humans! And we've got the best people working on it which happens to be BP! Whose oil WE use to manufacture and distribute the products WE consume all over the planet!

Do you have any grasp of how big BP is and how many people are under their employ? It's mind-boggling! And with today's struggling economies you want to see a corporation this size fail!? Incredible!

My heart goes out to the friends and families of those killed in the explosion. My heart goes out to those all along the coast. My heart goes out to all of us. And I will be buying BP gas in the hope of some semblance of world-economic stabilization.

If you're going to be drilling offshore, a place that many people use and require for their livelihood, it pays to be prepared and do risk assessment. The fact that BP cannot contain this mess until 4 months after it started is proof enough they shouldn't have been drilling in the first place. Accidents happen, but if BP hadn't been negligent this could have been contained much earlier. Not only that, but this oil spill will effect others not even in the immediate area.

Frankly, it was BP's responsibility to manage their oil wells and then contain this mess when the rig exploded. They deserve every harsh word they have gotten. When someone fucks up, you don't absolve them of blame simply because they make millions of dollars in profit.

I should add (because here it comes)...

I do NOT absolve BP of responsibility! I don't blame the consumer, either! No guilt trip was meant. But I firmly believe that they are doing their best to kill this thing. The spotlight is on them!

And we're talking about WAY more than "millions", Snarboo!

And that damn hole is still going. Very scary! All the animals that will die from this is gonna have a huge impact on EVERYTHING! I wonder if that well will run dry?

Technician said:

Doesn't that take years and years?

Yes, most of the time. You've got fossil fuels that have been developing for millions of years, so there is a lot down there.

AgentSpork said:

Why don't they just nuke it?

(Assuming you're being serious)

The drill is too close to shore. It's very possible the blast could affect parts of the Louisiana coast. Plus, nuclear weapons cause the particles in the air/water to become radioactive, which causes mutations in organisms. It'd give more trouble to the marine wildlife.

Whoo said:

The drill is too close to shore. It's very possible the blast could affect parts of the Louisiana coast. Plus, nuclear weapons cause the particles in the air/water to become radioactive, which causes mutations in organisms. It'd give more trouble to the marine wildlife.

He meant "nuke it from orbit" I think. It shouldn't be a problem then. Except for the people not in orbit.

I say get them before they get you. Nukem. The quality game from Butler Brothers.

And yeah, on a more serious note, Snarboo basically summed up my thoughts on this whole subject. Also, the Palin thing just may be the most ridiculous thing she's said yet. That's pretty damn impressive considering some of the things that's come out of her mouth.

phi108 said:

He meant "nuke it from orbit" I think. It shouldn't be a problem then. Except for the people not in orbit.

Nah. It's the Russian Way. Not a joke.

BP is no better or worse than any of the other oil giants. BP just got caught with its arse waving in the breeze. It could have been any of them. I'm just surprised that it took this long for a disaster of this scale to happen.

At least with it affecting the US, the most influential nation on the planet is at least making some noise about it versus the disasters that happen elsewhere in the world where even hitting the headlines is a rare thing. Not that it will make much difference in the long run.

Enjay didn't say:
BP is no better or worse than any of the other oil giants. BP just got caught with its arse waving in the breeze. It could have been any of them. I'm just surprised that it took this long for a disaster of this scale to happen to rich people who matter.

Fixed it for accuracy. I posted earlier a link to an article about Shell's massive oil leaks in Niger.

Gez said:

I posted earlier a link to an article about Shell's massive oil leaks in Niger.

So you did. I missed that. And the fact that I also missed it in real life illustrates the other thing I was saying: Doesn't affect us directly? Not worth mentioning. :/

Enjay said:

BP is no better or worse than any of the other oil giants. BP just got caught with its arse waving in the breeze. It could have been any of them. I'm just surprised that it took this long for a disaster of this scale to happen.

Well there is the whole fact that BP has had over 300 safety violations in the last X years, whereas the rest of the big oil companies had at most a dozen or so. Yeah...

Having worked in the oil industry (and industry in general) figures about safety violations and lack of them are liberally laced with bullshit. Much of what happens is due to agendas, politics, the regulations that actually exist in a particular area (can't break 'em if they don't exist) and simply getting caught versus getting away with it.

As a minor example: At a gas terminal I worked at, Shell were approaching a significant number of days without a "lost time accident" (I think it was maybe 300 days, but I forget). Anyway, a lost time accident is, as you might suspect, an accident where the victim has to take time off work due to his or her injuries. So, as we approached the significant date, the pressure on everyone to ensure that there were no lost time accidents was immense. Anyone injured was put on "light duties". The joke was that the place was beginning to look more like a hospital than a gas terminal. Even nearer the time, any accident just happened to have the paperwork processed slowly. Or sometimes things were fudged to have another reason. eg, we had one guy pass out and fall injuring himself quite badly. But that wasn't a lost time accident, that was an underlying health problem. Anyway, we passed the significant date and there was much in the way of mutual congratulations and press coverage. 300 days without a lost time accident, yet a significant number of the work force on reduced duties to keep the figures "correct".

Believe me, from experience, BP are no worse - but no better either - than any of the others (and I've worked for most of them in some way or another).

Danarchy said:

Well there is the whole fact that BP has had over 300 safety violations in the last X years, whereas the rest of the big oil companies had at most a dozen or so.

Wow! BP had that many?

tehdrunkdemon said:

Wow! BP had that many?

Like I intimated, the figure alone is meaningless (especially when quoted as a figure over "X" years). Context and detail is required. I'm not trying to defend BP. I just don't believe that their record is particularly bad compared to the other oil giants. BP are just the ones under the magnifying glass ATM.

Enjay said:

Like I intimated, the figure alone is meaningless (especially when quoted as a figure over "X" years). Context and detail is required. I'm not trying to defend BP. I just don't believe that their record is particularly bad compared to the other oil giants. BP are just the ones under the magnifying glass ATM.

it was 3 years exactly, on all rigs.

In that case, I'm surprised it is as few as 300 and I am also highly suspicious of the "dozen or so" of the others. However, I'd still need to know exactly what was being classed as a "safety violation". A safety violation could be anything from a guy not wearing his ear defenders right through to gross negligence that puts thousands of lives at credible risk.

Gez said:

Nah. It's the Russian Way. Not a joke.

Reminds me of what the defense againt IceFire was, in the book of the same name. nukes were used to loosen then smash down the Ross Ice shelf in Antarctica to cause a soliton wave (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soliton <- might've been modded in the book, idk) that proceeds to wipe out large parts of New zealand and some pacific islands with huge waves and causing volcanic activity. The solution was to use nukes to cause sudden drops in the ocean floor along fault lines/trenches to basically cancel out the wave's energy.

So really, like some comments on that article said, a small nuke in the right place could cause enough pressure to seal the oil well and not have a large environmental impact, considering the depths of the ocean, at least in theory. Would definitely need to study the Russian's 4 successful and 1 failed attempt to seal up oil wells.

Enjay said:
In that case, I'm surprised it is as few as 300 and I am also highly suspicious of the "dozen or so" of the others. However, I'd still need to know exactly what was being classed as a "safety violation". A safety violation could be anything from a guy not wearing his ear defenders right through to gross negligence that puts thousands of lives at credible risk.

More than 300 eh? I never even knew that they had environmental charges before the oil spill. I just knew that they made their gasoline more expensive in the chicago area. Ex: if normal suburban gas stations charged $2.74/gallon for unleaded, a bp might charge $2.79/gallon. i saw that in February, right before my birthday.