Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sporku

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Check it, yo. Would be absolutely lovely if there were some actual gameplay footage. Looks to me like they gave Square-Enix a little bit too much leeway with the cutscenes, as it's got over the top japanese action written all over it, which I'm pretty sad to see... though I guess at this point it was to be expected. Also, I kind of have to wonder why, outside of the lack of nanoaugmentations, the environments and world seem to be more advanced than the original game, to which this is a prequel.

Deus Ex is probably one of my absolute favorite games, so I'll almost certainly check it out. Whether or not it'll be as massively disappointing as Invisible War was remains to be seen, however. Anyone care to share their thoughts?

Also, the main character sounds kind of like Walton Simons from the first game.

Super disappointing stylistically even compared to the announcement teaser that was just the Deus Ex music and some pictures. The story is far too overt, compared to the twists and turns of the original plot that didn't make sense until the last moment.

As for the technology, honestly Deus Ex looked like shit even when it came out but the story and creativity of it made up for the visuals. I just wish that they had kept the mechanical augmentations in the vein of the original-- bulky, militarized, invasive.

Seemed more like a trailer for a movie then a game. No game play, just an excessively long cut scene.

For the game itself, I'm not that excited, but I will definitely check it out.

AgentSpork said:

Looks to me like they gave Square-Enix a little bit too much leeway with the cutscenes, as it's got over the top japanese action written all over it, which I'm pretty sad to see...

prequel.

*pressing furiously*

Square-Enix? What the fuck?

This game better not be a bunch of weeaboo fightan magic and linear gameplay. Then again, I heard the second one was pretty much just that. I never even bothered with it because of all the bad reviews I heard.

Deus Ex was a pretty awesome game, though, and I loved its gritty realism. It really felt like it was a few years in the future and could happen in our lifetime. This one looks like it takes place a generation or two down the line for some reason. And you say it's a prequel?

That guy does kind of sound like Walton Simons, though.

Every couple of years I play through Invisible War, and even though I hated it when I first played it, it grew on me.

Yes it's not nearly as good as the original, yes the maps are small and simplistic and made to fit on consoles (though I can't really call them linear), yes the interface and RPG elements are dumbed down.

Yet it still wipes the floor with any other game I've played recently that tried to be something similar. Last time I played it was after playing Bioshock, which didn't have anything going for it other than the design style. Compared to that, IW was a much deeper experience.

Danarchy said:

Square-Enix? What the fuck?

You must have missed the memo saying Square-Enix bought Eidos.

As for the game, thoughts are not good, mostly because of tech being far superior to the DX1 mech-aug agents despite being set 25 years before it. If they couldn't patch a hole that big, I'd hate to see how careless they are over everything else. Even this trailer seems ridiculously action oriented.

It's probably best to forget that it has the Deus Ex name; it's not like we're going to get another game like the first anyway. I'll reserve judgment until I see some gameplay footage.

I got more excited by the blurb on the IGN page that there's going to be an Infamous 2.

Damn, that looked awesome. I can certainly see some big Blade Runner influences. Did anyone find the music reminiscent of MOD-style of the original?

Fingers crossed that the gameplay will retain some of it's original pace and sophistication, and not be too dumbed-down and action-oriented.

TheDarkArchon said:

You must have missed the memo saying Square-Enix bought Eidos.

I guess I did. Man, I remember when Eidos owned a few dozen different developers, putting them right up there with EA and Activision as the big game companies.

Danarchy said:

That guy does kind of sound like Walton Simons, though.

Walton Simons having been voiced by Tom Hall himself.

Anyway, I actually found Invisible War to be a great game, although still a major disappointment since I found Deus Ex perfect. If this isn't too much worse than IW I'll play it. But probably it will be a lot worse, seeing as Warren Spector and Harvey Smith have nothing to do with it, and it looks like it'll just be another factory-produced lump of crap. (I'm wary of any game that doesn't tell you who is designing it outside of "Eidos Montreal" or some nonsense.)

I completely get the apprehension about this (Ugh that news reader and they sure as shit better mean an augmentation when they're talking about regenerating health) , but I'm just happy that we're getting more cyberpunk.

PS digging that music B-)

Yeah, the music is pretty awesome. Kind of like the Deus Ex music mixed with the Bladerunner soundtrack. It also almost sounds like VNV Nation could have done it, and their music always reminds me of cyberpunk.

Mr. Freeze said:

-Regenerating Health
-Cover System

Fuck you, Squenix.

But that's what you need to have to make a good game.

40oz said:

But that's what you need to have to make a good game.

I disagree with that. I could crouch before a computer had to hold my hand to do it, and I plowed through games before my health gave me infinite second chances.

Regenerating health, to me, is only acceptable if it is done in a "half-and-half" version: Your health regens, but each hit on your character decreases your health level. Ninja Gaiden 2 used this system, and it really worked out great.

As long as I can still light little kids on fire and throw their bodies at people it'll be awesome. Also more of this.

Craigs said:

As long as I can still light little kids on fire and throw their bodies at people it'll be awesome. Also more of this.

What a shame.

The video and Q&A still leaves a lot of important questions I had about the game unanswered though, like whether or not I'll be able to set kids on fire like in the previous games.

READ THIS FOOLISH PEOPLE

SQUARE ENIX IS NOT DEVELOPING ANY PART OF THIS GAME.

If you've read interviews with Eidos Montreal, they clear up this misconception. SquEnix only handled trailer cutscenes, the actual game is 100% Eidos Montreal.

From the rest of what I've read from their interviews, they also don't understand the original Deus Ex. It's crazy, but it seems very few devs do. Might still be a great game though, in any case it will be far superior to all the CoD games and CoD clones flying around.