Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kelzam

Trailer for Mortal Kombat reboot (Unconfirmed Fake or Real)

With production values like that I don't see how it could be fake. Interesting anyway.

Use3D said:

With production values like that I don't see how it could be fake. Interesting anyway.

This. I also noted a couple of actors whom I've seen in other movies as well. I'm willing to believe that this is genuine, but we shall see.

If they do it like this i'm going as soon as it come out :D

Eh I dunno, making the Outworlders into freaky serial killers smacks of this horror-movie-Saw style flavor of the week. But if it turns out to be legit I'll go see it. :P

Yeah I'm usually extremely against Hollywood bastardizing pre-existing game lore and history for the sake of making a movie, and was slightly pissed off when I first started watching it, but as it went on I was more and more enthralled by it. Micheal Jay White (Spawn, The Dark Knight) as Jax definitely lends it some credibility.

The good news is they never suggested Shang Tsung isn't visiting earth from Outworld yet, so if this is real it'll be interesting to see what they do there. Also, it'll be interesting to see Goro :P

I don't like the trailer at all. It's got a, "Oooo, this is dark so you know it'll be badass!" feel to it. I couldn't sit through dialogue like that for another 10 minutes, never mind a feature length film. Plus I don't like what they're doing with the characters, and Johnny Cage dying again, WTF?!

Although is that Jeri Ryan? That's some doubleplusgoodness right there.

Snakes said:

I don't like the trailer at all. It's got a, "Oooo, this is dark so you know it'll be badass!" feel to it. I couldn't sit through dialogue like that for another 10 minutes, never mind a feature length film. Plus I don't like what they're doing with the characters, and Johnny Cage dying again, WTF?!

Although is that Jeri Ryan? That's some doubleplusgoodness right there.

Everyone hates Johnny Cage, that's why.

/edit:

Originally Posted by firstshowing.net
Big Update: Apparently our friends at Latino Review got the big scoop on this video. It was shot by Fame director Kevin Tancharoen and is supposedly a "test video" that was made to convince Warner Brothers to give them funding for a full blown hard R Mortal Kombat movie. So it's not for a video game, but it's not part of a movie - yet, at least. Kind of like that first Tron Legacy test trailer, this was made to convince them that fans would like this gritty take (and they certainly do). "Yes, this is the direction they plan on going for the Mortal Kombat reboot," says Latino Review. Even I'm amazed by all of that news. Let's hope it's all true!

Read more: http://www.firstshowing.net/2010/06/08/must-watch-the-badass-mortal-kombat-rebirth-viral-video/#ixzz0qJTZ6jRv

Seems to be at least somewhat a self parody (both of the decapitation scenes, Johnny Cage's last cigar) so I'm fine with it. The trailer certainly held my attention and was interesting.

It looks to be pretty awesome. I'd honestly be really disappointed if this was for a reboot of the movies, but not the games. Usually this is the sorta thing that people get pissed off about for game --> movie adaptations. "Awh man, they made Baraka a doctor and serial killer! LAME!"

I like the renovations for all the characters. There's a neato render of Sub-Zero out there that leads me to believe that this is for a game reboot with perhaps video cutscenes. Or maybe they're gonna be basing the characters on the actors in the trailer, modeling their likenesses and what not.

All the "confirmations" sounds pretty fake seeing as there's barely any sources for them.

Either way, I love Mortal Kombat, so I'm excited for whatever comes out of it.

EDIT: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1307/4683680481_b6f91a55da_b.jpg Sub-Zero render used in the video. Looks kick ass!

AveryMaurice said:

Scorpion is sick.

They made Reptile painful to watch though.

I'm pretty sure that was Baraka. I thought it was lamer how Johnny Cage died, he was too awesome in the original movie

Mortal Kombat Devastation is the name I think. I thought Goro died, and considering the production values and dialogue of the first 2 movies, it could not get any worse...

inb4 streetfighter live action movie. Now that was bad.

neubejiita said:

Mortal Kombat Devastation is the name I think. I thought Goro died, and considering the production values and dialogue of the first 2 movies, it could not get any worse...

The first movie was actually really good IMO. Nice fights, Fear Factory soundtrack, kept it close to the game without being a total nerdgasm... good fun.

The second one was the worst movie I've ever seen.

Mr. T said:

AveryMaurice said:

They made Reptile painful to watch though.

I'm pretty sure that was Baraka.

Both Reptile and Baraka are in the reel. ;)

Reptile looked stupid and I wish Baraka looked more like... well, Baraka, instead of rasta mon. :\

I liked it, sans two things: They should have made Reptile be more reptilian. If they are going to change his story up, at least give it some spiel about how he ended up being given the old "genetics testing on prisoners", and this is a gripe because Reptile was always a storyline favorite character (though playwise he was garbage in MK2).

And the thus far no hint of the mysticism/ki/powers/magic that the characters possess. I liked in the original movie how their powers were treated as "just a martial arts move" with CG added in, as opposed to Liu Kang (or whatever) firing a bazillion fireballs like what you would see in the game, real strong way to have them use the moves but keep it classy and focus on the actual fighting.

I like the reboots, but things like Peter Jackson's "no magic" mantra from LOTR and Christopher Nolan's "conservative" approach to Batman has started to wear thin. Regardless, I will still see it because the rest of what I am not talking about kicked serious ass.

The original MK movie pumped me up so much that I had to go play MK3 at the arcades RIGHT AFTER that, and even made some poor devil lose like 10 matches vs me, at 50 drachmas a pop (or was it already 100? Dunno).

Supposedly, it's a mock-up designed to show that MK is still relevant in today's media.

It can't be a movie trailer. The CGI sucks, no cast is listed, and no credits or information are even displayed. Also, a third MK movie would have been announced by this point, and it is still in development hell as of now.

Mr. Freeze said:

Supposedly, it's a mock-up designed to show that MK is still relevant in today's media.

It can't be a movie trailer. The CGI sucks, no cast is listed, and no credits or information are even displayed. Also, a third MK movie would have been announced by this point, and it is still in development hell as of now.

Do you read before you post? It was confirmed what this was a page ago.

Maes is right! Someone has to do a Doom 3 Mortal Kombat mod, provided they have the talent!

DoOmEr4LiFe said:

I like the reboots, but things like Peter Jackson's "no magic" mantra from LOTR

Not sure I follow this, since if anything, Jackson added more overt magic to the story than it ever contained as a book. You never see someone cast a spell directly in the book, it's always veiled in some manner, or vaguely explained by characters after the fact, to make it remain a mystery.

I'm interested to see what will come out of it. I love the MK series, and the video did keep me interested. I'm not a big fan of how it seems like they are moving away from the martial-arts type of movie, but who knows, maybe it's for the better. At least Scorpion is getting a main character spot now, where he was only in one fight for the past two movies.

However, seeing Michael Jai White as Jax made me feel like I was watching a sequel to Spawn, go figure.

Quasar said:

Not sure I follow this

I recall that's how they were in the books, but I recount watching (but granted, it has been years since I have seen them) the making of featurette on the Extended DVDs where Jackson discusses keeping magical abilities to an absolute minimum. I will watch them and get back to you.

It would be cool to see them make all the characters more modern and realistic, kinda like the new Baraka (how hes human).

I would also like to see Sub-Zeros new mask. Does anyone think Scorpion will wear a mask? Or even Reptile?