Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kyka

Permissions for some resources use.

Just wanted to ask a few people permission to use a few resources from some separate wads that I have played. So here seems as good a place as any to do that.

So if the owners of these resources could post here to say yes or no to my using this stuff, that would be neat, as well as saving me a whole lot of stuffing around PM'ing people etc etc.

Full credit will of course be given.

Sorry mods if this is not how things are done.

So without further ado.

From "Hell Ground" by Alexander "Eternal" S.

The three recoloured computer textures appearing in these screeenshots.

http://img541.imageshack.us/i/screenshotdoom201006030.png/
http://img227.imageshack.us/i/screenshotdoom201006030.png/
http://img408.imageshack.us/i/screenshotdoom201006030.png/

From "Cybersky" by Alexander "Eternal" S.

This recoloured light texture, as well as several of the recoloured gargoyle faces (one of which is in the background)
http://img534.imageshack.us/i/screenshotdoom201006020.png/

From uTNT by Tormentor667.

This recolorred red water/blood texture seen in the background here.
http://img295.imageshack.us/i/screenshotdoom201005300.png/

From a cool level by the Totcomics Guy, I played a while back. Don't remember what it is called, but I really liked it anyway. I would like to use this redone Super Shotty sprite.

http://img175.imageshack.us/i/screenshotdoom201005310.png/

From "Sinedie" by Didy.

I would like to use the modified Aliens music as used on level 1, as well as several of the basic textures from level 2, which come from a variety of sources.

From "Operation Overlord" by Enjay.

And last of all, a couple of the animated textures from this level. Played it for the first time the other day, and it is amazing.

Thanks so much for any and all replies.

Cheers.

You can recolour graphics easily yourself, using a free software like GIMP. You can do even more, such as mix multiple layers to achieve new textures.

Kyka said:

So if the owners of these resources could post here to say yes or no to my using this stuff, that would be neat, as well as saving me a whole lot of stuffing around PM'ing people etc etc.

Actually PMs would be by far the best approach to this.

Yes, PM or email would be better for all concerned.

Bear in mind that a failure to respond here is something you need to take as a "no". Permission is not granted unless it is specifically given. There's a pretty good chance most people won't see this thread (or won't feel the need to reply if their permissions text already says everything they want to say on the matter). In that case, you'd need to contact them directly in any case.

Still, I'll leave this thread as it is, and people might find it a convenient way to answer your request. But please don't think "X hasn't responded, so I can use his stuff". That would not be a proper use of this forum. Don't mean to labour that point, but... well actually I do. :p

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you can get them that's great, but if you can't, just go about your project. But I would suggest giving them credit in your txt file. That's what I do when I borrow resources.

I would ignore Technician completely and I commend you for seeking their permission. Good deeds are done mainly with small favors and displays of respect, not just when someone is pointing a gun at your face.

An email is likely the most effective way to contact these people, even more than a PM, as some don't regularly visit here. Admittedly, a public request may give them a chance to grant permission in general or to further clarify what can be done with their work, so it may have some use, as well.

Note that, since quite a few of the requests abov are recolours, you can get some recolours of stock Doom textures made by Nick Baker at the realm667 texture stock.

Thanks heaps for the replies everyone.

Does anyone have contact details for the people listed. Especially Eternal, as I don't think he is a regular poster here. So email addresses would be a big help.

Yeah, I have PM'd quite a number of people up to this point already in regards to my project, and the vast majority have freely given permission to use resources they have created. I just thought that a public request might be easier and faster, and be less chasing for me. Heh. Now I will do what I probably should have done in the first place and PM the relevant people.

And as printz has noted, most of what I have requested is recolours, which are not hard to do... unless you are a technical nubtard like I am. So easier for me to mostly use other people's work, and I am happy to credit them as far as is possible.

I have used quite a few of Nick Baker's recolors already, and they have been awesome.

Thanks again.

If they are just recolors, you shouldn't have to ask permission for reasons that should be obvious.

Kyka said:

And as printz has noted, most of what I have requested is recolours, which are not hard to do... unless you are a technical nubtard like I am.

Well, recolouring means:
- getting a free graphic editing software on the level of GIMP
- I'ma gonna discuss GIMP here. Open the image. On the "Image" menu, "image mode" submenu, make sure it's "RGB", not "indexed".
- Use the "Fuzzy select" (magic wand) tool. (Shift-)Select the coloured areas you want to edit.
- Go to the menu right from "Image" (or am I being wrong) and find the option Hue/Saturation/Lightness. That will let you easily change colors around. If the default image or selection is grayscale, you'll have to Colorize it instead.

Start from knowing nothing to knowing a lot, by experimenting!

Kyka said:

Does anyone have contact details for the people listed. Especially Eternal, as I don't think he is a regular poster here.

Try asking entryway, I get the impression he's in regular contact with Eternal.

Mr. T said:
If they are just recolors, you shouldn't have to ask permission for reasons that should be obvious.

Even the slightest changes, like a recolor or a cut-and-paste job, count in this respect. Id's EULA gives you the right to modify their stuff, and while that EULA still restricts anything based on their work, whether you can use an id resource or map a third party modified as a base is still up to the guy who modified it, not id Software. Recolors and other minor changes do have some automated aspects that can be discounted as non-creative, but also involve creative choices, like where to apply the coloring, how to apply it or what color ranges to use.

myk said:
Even the slightest changes, like a recolor or a cut-and-paste job, count in this respect.

I'll want to use the modified demon a la STRAIN. Recoloured and with higher HP.

Authors should write us (ada@iname.com) to inquire into the use
of these levels.

You MAY distribute this WAD, provided you include this file and
the entire STRAIN package, with no modifications.

You may distribute STRAIN in any electronic
format (BBS, Diskette, CD, etc) but no money may be collected
for this add-on without writing us for permission. Not even
if the money is just to 'recover the cost of the medium.' This
obviously includes software compilations. Just write us
already. Also, you must keep the STRAIN package intact,
including this file.

Other than that, enjoy and please spread STRAIN as far and wide
as possible! And please write us to let us know what you think
or to at least let us know how far it spread!

Oh yeah, for the crazies out there who are always after an
unearned buck: STRAIN and its installer are provided as is and
come with no warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.
In no event will the copyright holders be liable for any damages
resulting from the use of this software.

I've no clue if I'm allowed to use their sprites in my .deh file as I cannot find anything about it in the text above. Just tell me what you would do if you were me?

Edit: thanks, Gez. I obviously don't know how to do it yet, but I'm sure I will want this modification in the future...

I don't think you can use sprites in a deh file anyway.

vdgg said:
I've no clue if I'm allowed to use their sprites in my .deh file as I cannot find anything about it in the text above. Just tell me what you would do if you were me?

If it doesn't say yes, it says no. That's how copyright works.

Recoloring the demon isn't hard, because it uses few color ranges. I have a partially recolored one, using leather browns instead of pink, but the mouth needs touching up. I could send that to you, if you want because I won't be needing it for my project (although I am not going to finish it.) Rylayeh has a green demon and the author allows reuse, and some monster packs have demons of other colors. The issue with the decorate compilations is that sometimes they are very vague about who made what, and they sometimes take stuff without permission.

From "Hell Ground" by Alexander "Eternal" S.
From "Cybersky" by Alexander "Eternal" S.

Contact entryway, as he can talk to eternal over at iddqd.ru, where eternal hangs out. (don't even bother trying to go over there yourself unless you can understand Russian)

From UTNT by Tormentor667.

from the UTNT Readme:
You may use material from this project for your own projects as long as you credit the creators
You may upload this file somewhere else as long as this file stays included as it is
You may base projects on this resources and setting

Totcomics Guy
You need to find out what that level is called, as permissions vary in his releases depending on what wad it is.

From "Sinedie" by Didy.

from the Sine Die Readme:
Everything is allowed except commercial use. There are also
copyrights for the textures listed above, see
http://www.doomworld.com/afterglow/textures.shtml
and text-files of listed resource-wads

From "Operation Overlord" by Enjay.

from the Operation Overlord Readme:
Because some of the resources in here are not mine (see additional credits above),
I cannot give my usual "do what you like with it". Anything that is mine, you
are free to use. If it is someone else's, then you really should be asking them.

With that in mind...

Authors may use this level as a base to build additional
levels.

from the Operation Overlord Readme, "Additional Credits" section:
Anonone for the modified engine that made an initial release possible.
Graf Zahl for GZdoom - especially for adding ducking which makes this release possible.
Jack Vermeulen for DeePsea, making making it possible.
Nash for the mounted chaingun render/sprite.
Scuba Steve - a few sprites from Action Doom.
Grubber for the MoHAA style compass script (via Apotherm's ACS database thread on Zdoom.org).
Weapons resource WAD for showing me a few things.
Boingo the Clown for the sprites that I used as a base for the prisoners.
All the people who have helped me via various forums there is a good chance something you helped me with has ended up in here in some way or another.

Seriously, reading the readme would have given you a "yes" on just about every one of these. :p