Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Map collaborations

How many of you have collaborated in creating a single map with at least one other person? I am currently working with Jodwin on making a hell styled level and am having fun tossing it back and forth to him to see what he has added to it, not to mention it does help keep me from getting a bit of mapper's block.

If you have or are doing level collaborations, please tell me your stories.

Do 32in24 layout/detail collabs count? :P

Here's my list:

- Mechadon (MAP06 of 32in24-7)
- Bucket (MAP31 of the same)
- Nightmare93 (MAP02 of Skullspeed DM 4)
- Impboy (MAP05 of Skullspeed DM 4)
- Mechadon (MAP15 of Claus1024)
- Mechadon (my CC4 map)

As you can see, Mechadon is half of that list. His own list is probably miles long. :P But he's a great guy to collab with.

On my own forum, me and Mek have spent ages conferring about the direction the map we're currently working on is going in. At the moment, we're working (I say we, I'm simply playtesting what he sends me :P) on a collab for Community Chest 4, although I'd have to say that our most impressive collaboration so far was MAP06 of 32in24-7.

There's no question that what he did to the aesthetics of that map is absolutely amazing, so there was no need to discuss that at all. :P What we did discuss in great depth was the flow and general structure of the map. We went into great detail about it all, and the number of the ideas we were having just grew and grew until were finally able to say that we had come up with the absolute best solution for the map's final layout. The thread we made on our private forum for that map ended up going on for 2 or 3 pages. :P

DeathevokatioN said:

At one point I'd love to do a map collaboration...

I'm in if your serious. Would be pretty cool for a change. :-P

I've never done a collaboration before, but it's something I'd like to do. Especially now that I feel completely frozen as far as map ideas go... It's been about 2 weeks since I've made any time of actual progress on a map.

collabs are a lot of fun and result in some pretty nice maps. Quad Threat turned out to be a lot longer gameplay-wise than I expected it to be even when we only had 100 minutes each to work on it.

I really have enjoyed collaborating on maps. All my collaborations this far have been for the Claustrophobia/Claustrophobia 2 mapsets. I have worked with Solarn, KingKill33, Jodwin, and a bunch of others if you count me detailing/finalising other peoples maps for those projects.

Good fun.

claustrophobia and sequel (and in the sequel lots of map), 32 in 24 5 map31, 32 in 24 diet map14, 1monster map12, freakin map contest map03 (ok, it was a map from oblige, but i think it could be the same stuff...),heretic speedmapping session 1 (just fixing and a few details in the maps),pie.wad and nefcat.wad on WIP 1994 tune-up project...

I haven't. Probably will try when I gather enough map-finishing experience, and manage to reduce my ego to normal human level.

Technically haven't done any collaborations, but that one awesome map in newgothic (map6) was inspired by a random gameplay idea a friend had (create a map where some or most of the map is falling into lava). So suggest away ... ;P

Also I wouldn't mind getting behind a super-ultra-mega-hard-big-fat-slaughter-speedmapping-and-fixing-up session. Which 2 of the last 3 dwspd were, heh.

I worked on map28 of NDCP2 along with two other mappers which I somehow forgot their names of. Apart from that I have never joined forces with anyone else...erh I think.

dutch devil said:

I worked on map28 of NDCP2 along with two other mappers which I somehow forgot their names of. Apart from that I have never joined forces with anyone else...erh I think.

I command you to create a map with me! :P

The only collab I've done was with Morrison for masterjumps map06 (a ZDaemon rocket jumping wad). He wanted to make a map with big plasma jumps and came up with the idea of us making our own jumping sections by ourselves and then combining them into one map (when you finish one section, you teleport to the next). It was kinda hard to communicate sometimes because we speak different languages (he speaks Spanish and some English, but I don't know Spanish), but we'd start a server and show each other how we intended to jump our own jumping sections. It was fun.

I've done a collab with Phobus and Bouncy that didn't turn out so well. Both were unfortunately too busy. :(

I've never had a successful online collaboration. However, the list of attempts is as follows:

-ZDCMP#2
-An attempt with BlazingPheonix and Bouncy that only resulted in one monster being made, its the SabreBlade (Dark Clink) and its on Realm667 under Heretic (or HeXen... one of the two).
-A couple of attempts with Morpheus that got left by the wayside.
-ZTrain

The above were all either given up due to a lack of team effort combined with growing ambitions (usually we all lost interest, or most people did), or in the case of ZTrain, a few members decided to get all arsey about the rules and I ditched the project.

I did make a couple of maps with my dad once (really way back) and The Mouth of Death ( http://www.phobus.servegame.com/ph_mod.zip ) was made with my youngest brother (first two maps are proper team efforts, the third is us doing half each).

Morpheus has picked up a map for T667's Stronghold that I made before the project changed scope (again) and he's since done amazing things with it.

Then there's a variety of contributions both given and recieved, but thats for another thread.