Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deeforce

Worst Games of 2000 until 2010

One of the worst games for me was Jade Empire. It bored the fucking hell out of me. It felt so linear and when you did get into a dungeon it felt so small and boring. The inventory was boring and the quests seemed meh. I stopped playing part way through and don't care if I ever play that again.

Then there was Dungeon Lords, that felt like you were playtesting a beta version. It had spells that didn't even work and I recall one area the terrain wasn't smoothed out so you could get stuck in a hole that didn't really look like a hole. The game was suppsoed to have areas that didn't get in the game. Many interior places looked empty... walk into what is supposed to be an armory (or a museum of weaponry or some shit) and all you see is a guy standing in a big empty room. It was also very buggy with doors getting stuck and whatnot. They then patched some stuff but then they decided to fix more stuff and add more content but instead of releasing a patch they released a Collector's Edition instead, leaving many people who previously bought the game go WTF. Fukken fail.

Super Jamie said:

Er, do you actually drive IRL?

Yes. Some elements of FWD driving is actually quite realistic in GT4, the more you drive the cars as if it was real, the more rewarding the game seems to be, I just felt that the simulation aspect was so demanding it took the fun out of playing it. There are plenty of aspects of the GT games that just do not match real life.

Captain Red said:

Mine was Far Cry 2.

STALKER with less bugs in Africa with cool fire physics? Hey cool! want me some of that!

Oh hey, a check point full of bad guys! lets wipe these fools out and... oh wait, I just walked 100 meters down the road and all the guys I just killed reappeared... and the game world is full of these check point. I'm basically having the same fire fight over and over and over. Can't even sneak by because the stealth mechanics basically don't work.
Boy I sure have to drive a lot... Zzzzzzzzzzz.

This. Far Cry 2 was one of the most disappointing games ever to me. I loved the original FC, never played any of those console versions, and when FC2 came out I rushed out to get it. What a mistake. Perfect example of HUGE OPEN WORLD WITH NOTHING TO DO.

On a related note, I'm really, really tired of open world games. Sure, it's nonlinear sorta kinda I guess.. I mean you can choose what order you do missions in, but, hell, all you do is wander to the next yellow arrow for more things to happen. I'd like to see more hub oriented games where you have to solve mysteries across many maps to progress. Overlord was kind of along those lines, and I actually kinda enjoyed that game for it, but that game was definitely not what it could have been as well.

Bioshock was awesome. Sure, it wasn't as deep as SS2 or Deus Ex, but I still love it every time I play through it.

Doom Dude tries a lot of crappy games about wandering in dungeons. This is good. Means I don't have to!

Fallout 3 was fun. What I've played of the expansions was bleh. It seemed to be just linear shooting things. Fallout's gameplay is better when you wander randomly and do stuff.

The Gothic games make me cranky. My bro likes them a lot, but I find the controls to be unusable, making combat impossible.

Oh, and WoW sucks. I bet I'll hate most MMOs if I hate WoW too. I couldn't stand it at all. Played the demo three times and that was it. Part of the problem was me not being readily able to see what I was supposed to be doing. Part of it was the boring combat.

Craigs said:

Bioshock no. Bioshock 2, yes. Aside from being completely arbitrary and tacked on, it really didn't feel like I was even playing as a big daddy. All the weapons were pretty much just reskinned versions of the ones from the first game with minor changes, and they didn't even fix the glaring problem with difficulty. Oh wait, they made it so enemies do more damage. Yeah, that was totally the problem. It obviously had nothing to do with the fact that there was no penalty for death. It makes a lot more sense too. A hulking heavily armored beat dies a lot easier than a fairly ordinary unarmored guy.

Honestly, I WOULD nominate the original game, at least as the biggest disappointment. I was promised:

-Revolutionary gameplay
-Tough moral choices
-A massive city, free to explore
-A thought-provoking story

It fell flat in every regard. The only thing "revolutionary" was the inability to truly die. Those vita-chambers sucked ANY sense of immersion straight out, and irritated the hell out of me throughout the entire game.

On that note, why are gamers today so afraid to die? PoP 2008 made you essentially unable to die, Bioshock had the vita-chambers, CoD has death perks...gamers really need to toughen up.

Aliotroph? said:

Doom Dude tries a lot of crappy games about wandering in dungeons. This is good. Means I don't have to!

Yeah well, it's that never-ending quest to find the next fun RPG type thing to play. :p

Aliotroph? said:The Gothic games make me cranky. My bro likes them a lot, but I find the controls to be unusable, making combat impossible.[/B]

I didn't like the first game either. The controls were crappy, the inventory was one of the worst I've ever seen and the animation of your dude running looks like he shit his pants. id rather replay Dungeon Lords.

As for Fallout 3, it's great if you get into the mods. Same with Oblivion. Both games are so much more better for mods.

I have FarCry 2 on the shelf. Never played it yet and by what I read here, it's gonna be a bit on the suck side.

Aliotroph? said:Oh, and WoW sucks. I bet I'll hate most MMOs if I hate WoW too. I couldn't stand it at all. Played the demo three times and that was it. Part of the problem was me not being readily able to see what I was supposed to be doing. Part of it was the boring combat.[/B]

I never tried WoW, mainly because I don't like the look of the game, especially the character models n monsters.. everything is chunky and crappy lookin.

Sonic The Hedgehog (The 360/PS3 one), along with every Sonic game from Sonic Rush on.

It's a shame that such an awesome video game character from the 90's got turned into a steaming pile of crap getting smellier with every new game released.

I'd say the best thing Sonic has done in the past 5 years is star in Brawl.

khartael said:

Fallout 3.

I never got the big comotion with fallout 3,I thought it was an amazing game that looked like and FPS,But played like a RPG

Limbo of the Lost is a strong contender. I remember the shitstorm when Gameplasma brought it to publicity, everyone went ripping on the game and after that, a mass research began to find out where each resource was stolen from. There was a big thread on some forum where a guy played through it, it was pretty funny.

trooper077 said:

I never got the big comotion with fallout 3,I thought it was an amazing game that looked like and FPS,But played like a RPG

Smaller than Oblivion.

I loved Fallout 3. There wasn't a lot of variety in enemies and most of the locations looked the same -- but on the other hand Oblivion, while being a very beautiful game, had basically only 4 types of weapon that repeated over and over, had an even worse problem with limited enemy types (there are more goblins and minotaurs in Oblivion than there are in a Warhammer tournament), and lacked any reason for using ranged weapons.

I still loved the exploration aspect of both games along with the hunter-gatherer aspect of both. I thought the playability and replay values were high and they were good ideas with a decent soundtrack. I don't see why anyone who enjoys RPGs would not like Fallout 3 or Oblivion.

I agree with the Sonic nomination. What started as an excellent series of 2D platformers turned into a total mess of new characters, Mega Man style impenetrable and self-contradictory storyline and completely new modes of gameplay.

EDIT: Far Cry 2 is an excellent game in theory but the way it plays out feels sort of false or limited compared to Fallout 3. Still, if you can get it cheap, you may enjoy it. I did.

I would have to say that Dawn of War II was dissapointing to me. Just wasn't as fun for me to play as the other ones..Burn me at the stake if you will but I liked the other DOW games better. From the original all the way up to Soulstorm.

I would like to not nominate a game, but a company: Activision. They're for example currently terrorising Blizzard and Infinity Ward.
They dont allow LAN function for SC2, and they didnt allow dedicated servers for MW2.

and they have awful ideas when it comes to design games ...

you who have been playing Quake must have been unimaginably mad at the expansion for quake3 arena, when you experienced the faggotry of the modern fuckern Proxy Mines.

sorry for going of topic, but I think some of you share the Rage with me against this company ...

Any one who think the same as I do?

The only people that truly hate Fallout 3 are the dumbasses from NMA who think that their series is on par with Mario in terms of gaming importance.

It isn't.

Fallout deserved every ounce of praise it got. That much is given. Fallout 2 however, might as well have been titled Family Guy: The Post-Apocalyptic Game. Add to that a laundry list of poor-selling and mediocre spinoffs, and it's a wonder why the license got picked up at all.

Weren't they toying with the idea of a Fallout film? If only Hollywood knew how to make a decent film these days ;) (remembers the good old days of Aliens, Predator and Terminators 1 & 2)

I bought Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics for £5 but as with all modern games theres no fething instruction book - it's the curse of the cheapo, money-saving "online" instruction manual again, and by "online" they mean it's in .pdf format on the disc. How are you supposed to refer to that while playing the bloody game? I had a quick play on each of them but in Fallouts 1 and 2 my character kept getting eaten by rats... yes, I survived a nuclear apocalypse followed by a lifetime living in a can, only to have my ankles gnawed to death... the games seem quite interesting though, so I'm gonna spend some time playing them.

On the topic of crap games, those shitty "missile evasion" games you can trial on Xbox Live really wind me up. A non-stop, confusing-to-control aircraft trying to avoid missiles... aargh. And who's gonna pay 1200 points for R-Type 1 and 2... obviously they never heard of Master System emulators ;)

I think the new Aliens Versus Predator game was a huge disappointment.

Mr. Freeze said:

Fallout 2 however, might as well have been titled Family Guy: The Post-Apocalyptic Game.

Please elaborate.

Mr. Freeze said:The only people that truly hate Fallout 3 are the dumbasses from NMA who think that their series is on par with Mario in terms of gaming importance.

Nope, sorry. Some of us genuinely believe the game sucks for what it is.

MajorRawne said:

Oblivion...lacked any reason for using ranged weapons.

What the fuck? Are you kidding me? You can completely break oblivion to utter pointlessness with ranged/stealth builds. That is to say, bows are overpowered to all hell in oblivion in ways that blow my mind. Name me one other game where you can shoot people in the face from 5 feet away and have them just stand there dumbfounded because they can't find you.

A lot of you bring up fair points, but when Elf Bowling 1 & 2 was released for the Nintendo DS, this became a no-contest. Worst game of the decade without a doubt.

Krispavera said:

Bioshock was awesome. Sure, it wasn't as deep as SS2 or Deus Ex, but I still love it every time I play through it.

The only reason I actually forced myself through that joke of a game a second time, was because I expected the story to take a serious twist to the opposite after you met Ryan playing evil compared to good. But even that they couldn't manage.

Whoo said:

Please elaborate.

It's full of pop culture references to the point of detracting from the story/immersion imo.

trooper077 said:

But it doesn't play like an RPG. Play the original Fallouts to see what kind of stuff an RPG should have in it. Dialogues, a few side quests and exploration aren't enough to make game an RPG.

Jimi said:

I think the new Aliens Versus Predator game was a huge disappointment.

This.

The campaign was ridiculously short. Storyline was more or less a direct rip-off of the first Aliens vs Predator movie (Rebellion couldn't even be bothered to write a script). Movement and controls for the Marine were nerfed. Level design was so horrible in so many aspects.

I've never been one to play into this "omgz they consolefied it!111" business, but I think this would apply to AvP 2010. What a balls-up :(