Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Trilinear

Origins of the Baron face from Ultimate Doom Euro box cover?

This is what I'm talking about :
http://www.mobygames.com/game/ultimate-doom/cover-art/gameCoverId,1762/

We all know the origins of the doom clay and latex models (Adrian Carmack and Gregor Punchatz, respectively), but I've never heard anything about the creation, or current location of, the Baron head model featured on the Ultimate Doom box...

Could it be a forgotten Punchatz model, or a prop from the scrapped Doom movie?

That ... that actually creeped me out once I stared at it for a few seconds O.o Now I'm gonna need to block that pic out before I go to bed -.-

Sorry I got nothing to add besides the eyes looking reeeeeallly realistic imo, definitely a model or even guy in a demon suit ...

I also assumed it's a BoH face, but I think it looks too impish for a Baron, yet it's not an Imp, because imps don't grin. Maybe it's related to that "weird impy thing" occasionally visible at Doomworld?

That image is silly. It looks like a cross between a baron of hell and a chimp.

myk said:

Watching enough Xiaolin Showdown has given me a good impression on how evil chimpmen warriors could be. They're fierce and tough.

myk said:

Heh, I always found the Barons on the "normal" box cover to have somewhat baboon-like traits too. But yeah, this one hasc clearly simian traits, along with Gremlin ears.

Those demons have green eyes like Humans.

But those monsters look like barons, it's not like every demon looks exactly the same.

weird...just weird

I wonder if I can still buy copies with that box cover. I'd load up on 1000 of them and start handing them out around America's Bible-belt. I want to see if I can make a few heads explode.

suicidal pencil said:

weird...just weird

I wonder if I can still buy copies with that box cover. I'd load up on 1000 of them and start handing them out around America's Bible-belt. I want to see if I can make a few heads explode.

Don't all people who bought UDoom from the UK already have that box? :)

Anyway, I like its parallel to Doom 3's cover art, which is a similar monster.

I remember seeing this very image awhile ago, can't remember where. Maybe a video about Doom 3 that was released in early 2000s...

Interesting that no one yet who has responded to this thread seems to know where exactly it comes from.

Reaper978 said:

Interesting that no one yet who has responded to this thread seems to know where exactly it comes from.

See thread title, it's the European box cover for Ultimate Doom. As has already been said, the monster is based off the ones from the poster which look somewhere between an imp and baron.

It's obviously based on the poster demons. Possibly one of the first demon invaders, which suffered unforeseen side effects from passing through teleporters that hadn't finished stabilising. You don't see them in the game because Doomguy's squad wiped them out while he was cooling his heels in the shuttle.

GreyGhost said:

It's obviously based on the poster demons. Possibly one of the first demon invaders, which suffered unforeseen side effects from passing through teleporters that hadn't finished stabilising. You don't see them in the game because Doomguy's squad wiped them out while he was cooling his heels in the shuttle.

I always like it when someone makes the effort to give sense and coherency to Doom's plot. There's that Demon! dude who occasionally posts bug reports at ZDoom who has written some huge Doom fan fics at PlanetDoom. It works.

printz said:

It works.

Even impse works if you throw enough grey matter at it.