Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deeforce

Worst Games of 2000 until 2010

Captain Red said:

I played fallout 1 and 2 long before fallout 3 was announced.
Fallout 3 is ironically my favorite fallout.

pretty much the same here. Fallout 1 was kind of fun, but it seemed so limited in terms of what you could and couldn't do, and it didn't really provide much freedom with character creation. There were plenty of skills to choose from, but it seemed like just fucking up even slightly while creating your character could screw you over. It was even worse for the second one, mainly because of the starting equipment. Starting the player off with nothing but a spear was a really stupid idea, and it's one of the main reasons I never really got far in the game, or enjoyed it for that matter. It was like it was mandatory to choose melee weapons or you'd pretty much end up in this situation. http://www.youtube.com/user/Firewolf269#p/u/29/AaGMezTCj-I

Oh and then there's the fact that the only healing items it starts you off with are bags of healing powder that decrease your perception and makes it even harder to hit enemies.

The only thing that really bothered me about Fallout 3 was the overabundance of bugs, but I guess that's to be expected of Bethesda. Maybe New Vegas will be better.

Craigs said:

... the overabundance of bugs ... Maybe New Vegas will be better.

Dude. It's being made by Obsidian.

Yeah, the very beginning of Fallout 2 can be infuriating. However, it doesn't take that long to start getting guns, and after that your only real problem is finding ammo. But that's what wasteland life is all about, is scavenging for survival.

Pretty much every sequel or remake. There are a few exceptions, but the rule seems to be that the further the decade progressed, the worse became the games. Or the developers' originality for that matter.

kristus said:

The only reason I actually forced myself through that joke of a game a second time, was because I expected the story to take a serious twist to the opposite after you met Ryan playing evil compared to good. But even that they couldn't manage.

Yeah for me when I played through it I thought at first that this game may be an awesome game..but as I was going through it I found myself getting more and more bored. I wish I could get my money back. But oh well shit happens I guess.

Jimi said:

I think the new Aliens Versus Predator game was a huge disappointment.

Agreed.

Conversly, "You are EMPTY", a 2007 FPS that got terrible reviews, turned out to be pretty good; the game play wasn't particularly great, but the atmosphere was very good.

Craigs said:

pretty much the same here. Fallout 1 was kind of fun, but it seemed so limited in terms of what you could and couldn't do, and it didn't really provide much freedom with character creation. There were plenty of skills to choose from, but it seemed like just fucking up even slightly while creating your character could screw you over. It was even worse for the second one, mainly because of the starting equipment. Starting the player off with nothing but a spear was a really stupid idea, and it's one of the main reasons I never really got far in the game, or enjoyed it for that matter. It was like it was mandatory to choose melee weapons or you'd pretty much end up in this situation.

I really can't stand turn based combat, especially in the Fallout series. As the video illustrated, it takes minutes just to kill a throwaway enemy and it really disrupts the flow of the game. Fallout 3 was enjoyable because it kept a lot of the great setting of Fallout with none of the molasses slow gameplay.

Mr. Freeze said:

The only people that truly hate Fallout 3 are the dumbasses from NMA who think that their series is on par with Mario in terms of gaming importance.

It isn't.

Fallout deserved every ounce of praise it got. That much is given. Fallout 2 however, might as well have been titled Family Guy: The Post-Apocalyptic Game. Add to that a laundry list of poor-selling and mediocre spinoffs, and it's a wonder why the license got picked up at all.

Pretty sure almost everyone in NMA agrees that while Fallout 2 screwed up the setting, it was a great game. A few moderators even enjoyed Fallout 3, but not as a sequel to the originals.

Tactics? Widely regarded as a poor strategy game compared to Jagged Alliance 2. Brotherhood of Steel? It's subforum is called "Fallout: Piece of Shit", for the platforms "(PS2, XBOX, My Lower Intestine)". It's just a bad dream.

Sheesh, it's a fansite for a particular game. They don't like the changes to a popular sequel, and people are still butthurt over people being butthurt.

"If only everyone loved Fallout 3 for what it is like I do!"

Fallout 2 is the best Fallout game I've played.

It's rich and beautifully crafted world won me over because of all the gray areas you could encounter with the choices you could make. Without any bullshit hype about 'making moral choices' that seems fashionable these days it had just that, a system where your previous choices could bite you in the ass when you least expect it, and executed it perfectly.

Fallout 1 in comparison seemed Tolkien'ish, with all the factions well defined, and the rights and wrongs being obvious. Orcs bad, elves good, hero saves the world. I still loved it when I first played it, but if I ever return to play the series again, I'd pick F2.

That said, I don't intend to play F3 anytime soon. Or ever.

Belial said:

It's rich and beautifully crafted world won me over because of all the gray areas you could encounter with the choices you could make. Without any bullshit hype about 'making moral choices' that seems fashionable these days it had just that, a system where your previous choices could bite you in the ass when you least expect it, and executed it perfectly.

This. If you don't bother to play through the beginning, or simply don't enjoy the mechanics, you're going to miss all the good bits about Fallout 2. Fallout 2 is a role playing game, and its role playing aspects are far above most other computer rpgs out there, and in role playing it's far superior to Fallout 3. It's not a game that takes you by the hand and tells you what to do, no, it's a game where you need to go in to the game world yourself, talk to people, find out what the heck is going on in every single settlement, small group and whatever there is.

Also, Fallout 2 has one of the best "moral choices" in computer games: Vault City vs. Ghouls. It's not a case where one side is clearly evil and other good, but rather it's a clash of different opinions and points of view. Fallout 3's "Do you want to blow up Megaton Yes/No"-setup is far inferior in comparison to how the Vault City and ghouls issue was built up in Fallout 2, even though (depending on your choices) it can result in a somewhat similar outcome. And, of course, in Fallout 2 there were many more possible things that you could do in that situation than just a simple Yes/No. And whatever you do, it's likely to affect something else in the game.

With that said, Fallout 3 is an ok game, but it's a really bad role playing game. It's not role playing, it's more like an adventure game.

Jodwin said:

Also, Fallout 2 has one of the best "moral choices" in computer games: Vault City vs. Ghouls. It's not a case where one side is clearly evil and other good, but rather it's a clash of different opinions and points of view.

Exactly. Couple that with the environmental debates about nuclear power and whatnot we are having today and it becomes obvious how almost every situation you encounter in the game has layer upon layer of social commentary.

My personal fav is New Reno. The amount of choices you can make there is ridiculous, from picking which family you're going to put in control of the city to seducing Bishop's wife and later on, if you were playing as a male character, finding out the fate of your child.

There's also the underlying political tension between Vault City, New Reno and NCR, with Redding caught in the middle.

And the Hubologists? Heavy-handed, I know, but give me one other title that made fun of Scientology without giving a shit about possible legal action.

I could go on and on, but there's no point to that. You've either played the game and know all this, or you won't know shit about it if you've stopped playing before getting out of The Den.

thirding belial and jodwin with not much to add. perhaps that the tongue in cheek style and mixing comedy with seriousness is making it... deeper, as in the opposite of the shallow bullshit with an embarrasingly obvious 'moral point' most of the 'dramatic' new games are serving. i'm specifically talking to you, japanese games.

oh and f2 also works better as a replayable game. i played the clint eastwood hero sharpshooter type, a lolita slut with heavy weapons she was barely able to pick up who fucked her way through the game (killing the thieves after getting the car back for a night with their boss, HA-HA), and even a 'hulk smash' retard. there's not much other games where character/player choices really make a difference... planescape torment perhaps? you just gotta love black isle.

if there wasn't f2, there wouldn't be the cult surrounding the series. and i hate mario.

Skeletor said:

WHAT?!

I said "DEAD SPACE, PC EDITION. THE CONVERSION TO PC LEFT IT UNPLAYABLE". ;)

Seriously, the control system is awful. It has basically just been ported directly from the console and assumes a console controller - even putting helpful controller icons on the screen to show you which buttons to use - even though you don't have the fekkin' buttons. And the awful default bindings for the keys - many of which can't be changed without a hack...

It's not just me

http://www.digitalbattle.com/2008/10/20/dead-space-pc-controls-suck/

http://whatifgaming.com/dead-space-pc-version-perplexed-with-control-problems-and-issues-not-fluid-enough

and many more

I tried, I really did, to play it but I simply couldn't get to grips with the controls and I eventually had to give it up as unplayable. I haven't tried any of the control hacks yet.

http://www.kennynet.co.uk/2008/12/22/dead-space-with-arrow-keys/

Shame, because it looks like it should be good.

Enjay said:

I said "DEAD SPACE, PC EDITION. THE CONVERSION TO PC LEFT IT UNPLAYABLE". ;)

Seriously, the control system is awful. It has basically just been ported directly from the console and assumes a console controller - even putting helpful controller icons on the screen to show you which buttons to use - even though you don't have the fekkin' buttons. And the awful default bindings for the keys - many of which can't be changed without a hack...

It's not just me

http://www.digitalbattle.com/2008/10/20/dead-space-pc-controls-suck/

http://whatifgaming.com/dead-space-pc-version-perplexed-with-control-problems-and-issues-not-fluid-enough

and many more

I tried, I really did, to play it but I simply couldn't get to grips with the controls and I eventually had to give it up as unplayable. I haven't tried any of the control hacks yet.

http://www.kennynet.co.uk/2008/12/22/dead-space-with-arrow-keys/

Shame, because it looks like it should be good.

I've only played it on the ps3 and found the controls difficult (first game on that system I've played, coming from a xbox360) but I can say it is a great game, looking forward to number 2

DUNGEON SIEGE 2!!!! Nearly as linear as Modern Warfare. Did anyone else see that stupid pretentious trailer this game had when it came out, showcasing how "clever" the AI is and how they lay ambushes on you and everything. When in the meantime they were showing an isolated event which was totally scripted. Fuck Microsoft for that. Also Halo 2 is one of the worst for me because it bored me to tears. And uhh.... I'd like to also nominate the entire Modern Warfare series as well as every Call of Duty after the first 2, I don't even need to state why these are the worst games.

DeathevokatioN said:

DUNGEON SIEGE 2!!!! Nearly as linear as Modern Warfare. Did anyone else see that stupid pretentious trailer this game had when it came out, showcasing how "clever" the AI is and how they lay ambushes on you and everything. When in the meantime they were showing an isolated event which was totally scripted. Fuck Microsoft for that. Also Halo 2 is one of the worst for me because it bored me to tears. And uhh.... I'd like to also nominate the entire Modern Warfare series as well as every Call of Duty after the first 2, I don't even need to state why these are the worst games.

Heh, I really liked DS1 and 2, great lan games. As for worst game, I really can't think of anything that stands out as being particularly bad from the multitudes of 'meh' games that have come out the previous decade.

khartael said:

No offense, but Obsidian's last game was Alpha Protocol, which didn't turn out too well.

khartael said:

I have played Knights of The Old Republic II The Sith Lords. Which is also made by Obsidian. Man the bugs in that game..For example. Sometimes someone is supposed to start talking and come in a door way at the sametime..Well I have seen where the door closes right in the face of the person and they keep on trying to walk and talk and end up walking against a closed door..Good for comedy aleast. Or there is a part in the game where one person is supposed to pick someone up by the throat but ends up holding on to thin air with person right under its hand...Again good for comedy.

Enjay said:

Dead Space, PC edition. The conversion to PC left it unplayable.

Oh right. How could I forget that. It was truly horrible.
Another even more horrible game was Alone in the Dark 5.

Prey was another huge failure and disappointment.

Damn you people and your shitty games...just mentioning Thundra in this thread gave me have nightmares of an unholy Thundra/MUGEN hybrid :-S

If you still want to try it... Thundra Demo.

Anything made by Jarhead Games. :p

Also:

Gods and Generals

FBI Hostage Rescue

Nuxius said:

Gods and Generals

God I hate it when clowns review a game and put their shitty music overtop of the games sounds. That video is worse than the game.

SlayeR said:

Heh, I really liked DS1 and 2, great lan games. As for worst game, I really can't think of anything that stands out as being particularly bad from the multitudes of 'meh' games that have come out the previous decade.

Dungeon Siege 1 was awesome, I remember playing it with my brother and having a really killer time... but as I remember it started getting more and more linear towards the end, and as your character started collecting better and better armor and stuff he started looking more and more awkward.