Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
General Rainbow Bacon

Anyone else think that... [hell maps]

There's no such thing as enough badass hell maps, and there should be a megawad of 32 crazy hell maps sometime in near future? I mean, base maps are cool, but I just never get tired of those huge hellish dungeons and palaces.

That's really funny you say that because I was just thinking about how fast and easy it is to make cave themed maps and I'm currently 20 minutes into making this cave map made of red rock textures and its already almost done. I could get you a megawad made of redrock caves in a couple weeks if you really want hahaha

lol. Thanks, but I was thinking a serious megawad of only hell themed, very hard maps would be something everyone would enjoy. True, it may end up just being a solo project of mine, but I guess I'm just a sucker for hell castles and blood filled chambers.

EDIT: On second thought, a megawad of caves might be fun to play. I say do it.

I'd be up for it. Might get me back into my other stuff too, as I had a map on paper for newgothic like this but I haven't put much work into it.

idk, maybe keep it simple and name it Caverns of Hell? Maybe rename it after we get some maps and some extra skies/textures made/gathered from other sources. The stone bricks from map27 of scythe 2 (apparently from eternal doom) come to mind. Some new rock and lava textures that'd complement rockred and the lava/lavafall would be cool too.

Not bad, probably a pretty early map considering how short it is. There's a missing texture on the back of the first rock pillar, I kinda focus on it in this fda. Not sure where the last monster is, heh.

Probably could have used some stimpacks toward the end, also you let that first cacodemon live. It took me about 1 hour to make that whole map, so I was pretty sure there would be some bugs I missed somewhere, but yeah I can pop these types of maps out in no time.

Oh, that cacodemon, heh. He'll go on living and become an ancient hellspawn sage of the cave who eats little children and will be one of the monsters that doomguy's descendants must kill in the great demon-cleansing of the age of neurotic marmots. Or something like that.

I love hell maps. Anything remotely Gothic, really. I'd like to play a megawad with this style! Especially with the right style of creepy music.

My idea for a hell megawad would involve a story line of humanity launching a counterattack on Hell and bringing the war onto its turf. Of course this probably won't go nearly as well as they'd hope. And that's why *you* have to get involved, naturally.

Define "Hell." There's so many different kinds of hell in Doom maps so far (E3's marble, E4's wood, abominations like MAP28, DV1's caves, DV2's classic cathedrals, etc).

Well, maybe if your wad allowed for different kinds of hell it would be more interesting, since there would be space for thematic variations.

ArmouredBlood said:

idk, maybe keep it simple and name it Caverns of Hell?

IMO, as soon as you give it a tangible name, it loses its hellish appeal. Keep it merely hell and make people wonder.

Jodwin said:

Define "Hell." There's so many different kinds of hell in Doom maps so far (E3's marble, E4's wood, abominations like MAP28, DV1's caves, DV2's classic cathedrals, etc).

Well, maybe if your wad allowed for different kinds of hell it would be more interesting, since there would be space for thematic variations.

Past wads have had defined episodes (iwads, scythe2, DV2), and others have gotten away with relatively little thematic congruency (AV, requiem in some ways). I'm cool with going crazy with variations and stuff, although the textures added shouldn't get TOO crazy ... (all the stuff in newgothic (>800 tex I think) is kinda hard to keep track of sometimes -.-).

@ printz; Yeah. Let's stick with HELL for now ;)

I can't tell for sure, but I think you can build hell themed maps with Oblige last version.

At least you will have unlimited Hell Maps for you to play.

Karnizero said:

I can't tell for sure, but I think you can build hell themed maps with Oblige last version.

At least you will have unlimited Hell Maps for you to play.

I was just thinking about oblige. Unfortunately a lot of cavernous hell map detailing is precise and wouldn't work too well prefabbed. Gothic detailing on the other hand ...

This looks like an awesome idea :D, hell maps are always my favourite part of a megawad and a whole megawad of caves and hells would be incredible.

I tend to always want to make caves when I'm mapping, and I generally do have a cave somewhere even in base maps. However, that is just a personal inclination - I think it also has something to do with my art style, which is mostly about curvy lines and odd shapes :D

Anyway, I think base and hell styles both have different parts that are easy or hard to make. What I mean is: In base maps, the layout and mechanics can be much easier. You can throw lifts, doors, and other moving parts all over the place and it makes at least a bit of sense because it is a techbase, after all. Giving rooms a purpose is also slightly easier because there are more tech-y textures like computers, pipes, random hardware, crates, and so on, than hell-y textures like tortured victims and stuff. It also makes more sense in tech maps to have neat, orderly structures that allow you to easily fit in stuff like windows that look on to another area and make the map more fun.

Now, all this can be done in hell, but I think the physical drawing of the map is the easier part. Rather than in techbases, where I find myself planning every line and height to be the right number and trying to reduce any blandness in the boxy structures, in hell style it's like you can go crazy with any shape you want (almost). It's harder to make purposeful stuff but hey, it's hell, it doesn't have to really make sense...however, as far as layout I sometimes find it hard to direct the player since caves lend themselves to open, flowing architecture rather than confined boxes with sniping spots.

what were we talking about again?

PS great megawad idea

If you think it looks hellish, put it in. Cathedrals, awesome. Caves, yes. Wood and stone, great. Fleshy stuff is cool. Really whatever, in your mind, makes a great hell map a great hell map, can be put in. Just no techbases :P

I just like making techbases because naturally I'm a slave to the gridlines on DB2, and i like having aligned textures and consistent texture themes. Doom has a very weird variety of Hell related textures which makes them kinda hard to use, unless of course you don't mind that glowing redrock texture everywhere. Personally I've really liked the thematic flow on Memento Mori 2, in which the first several maps started off in hell, and gradually lead to techbase maps. But solid hell maps sounds cool too. I've got a bunch of Castlevania and Mortal Kombat midi tracks that I've been meaning to use for such themed maps.

How about naming the project Visions of Hell? The theme could be each contributor designing a map based on thier own take on what Hell might look like.

I was planning on suggesting a community wad of this very type once I'd got my own project out of the way.

40oz said:

Doom has a very weird variety of Hell related textures which makes them kinda hard to use, unless of course you don't mind that glowing redrock texture everywhere.

Aren't you a texture artist? Besides, hell gives you enough freedom too on drawing those.

I'd rather play a good hell-themed map than an excellent techbase map any day. Fuck techbase maps, let's see some scary shit.

purist said:

How about naming the project Visions of Hell? The theme could be each contributor designing a map based on thier own take on what Hell might look like.

What an epic idea... that sounds like an amazing idea. Go for it!!

I'm so totally in love with this idea. I love hell themed maps, any kind of hell theme, from wood/metal to marble to flesh. Visions of Hell sounds like a nice name too.