Here are the design specifications for this megawad:

Hell theme
boom compatible
pistol start
texture pack + custom tex
custom midis
stock monsters
Co-op friendly
difficulty settings (hntr = medium/hard : hmp = hard/very hard : uv = very hard/insane )
Geared towards very good players
large maps (hell shouldn't be wimpy and small ;)

Okay guys, get to it!

EDIT: I'll be head playtester too.

DoomHero85 said:

I'll start the new thread. I also think we SHOULD use new monsters. But I don't know how to add monsters without zdoom compatibility so someone will have to teach me how to do that with boom compatibility when it's time for me to make my map. I will make a list of acceptable monsters too. We should make a texture pack for this project too.

ugh...new monsters? This is the one thing I'm not looking forward to here...don't you still have to used dehacked in boom compat? Wouldn't it be better to have vanilla compatibility so it runs in all limit removing ports? I dunno

Just my 2c ...custom monsters or not, I'd like to make a map..don't know how much I can help with the graphix

How about you show something your own? Like a Hell based map for this project? Without screens, maps or anything that would make our participation worthwhile. I hate to say it but in the name of whole DW. We won't help you with that unless you do something yourself first like a map. That's all I have to say about this.

Oh god please no costum monsters, they dont add anything to the gameplay. High Difficulty is easily realised with clever traps or huge amounts of monsters like in sunder and deus vult. Altough one or too isnt too bad like the ifrit in deus vult 2.

I don't wanna come off as a whinger or anything but I'm not really looking forward to new monsters either, I was hoping for a more classic approach to gameplay, heh. I'm pretty sure every mapper who signed up so far knows how to make a map difficult without cramming cyber demons into it.

If you scrap the custom monsters I'd definitely make a map for this!

alterworldruler said:

We won't help you with that unless you do something yourself first like a map. That's all I have to say about this.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/51396-anyone-else-think-that-hell-maps/

you know what, screw the custom monsters. It's gonna get too messy with all this custom stuff. Lets just use the normal monsters, I don't feel like figuring out how to add them anyway.

Anyway, here are two screenshots of a possible map I might make for this. Pretty bare bones right now, and these textures don't seem to show up in prboom, so I may choose a different texture pack. The pack I'm using is from realm667 "Amulets and Armor texture pack", and "erattex1.wad", if anyone wants to help me figure out why they don't show up.

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/3632/screenshotdoom1.png
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/1197/screenshotdoom2.png

Also, here's a pack of creepy midis that will be useful for these maps:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nmy4nkxzcm2/Visionsmidis.zip

EDIT: I really think we should have a texture pack for this so it will eliminate any more texture loading problems like I sometimes have. Anyone interested can go ahead and do it. Dried blood, blood, fire, lava, earthy colors, and castle/cathedral/gothic stuff would be good.

I MIGHT contribute/donate a map to this, but I`m not sure yet. Anyway, where are the midi`s from? I`m especially interested in knowing where destiny.mid are from

Hi, i am new here. I really like difficult hell-themed maps a lot and i would like to participate on this project. so what i have to do? just make some good hell-themed map in the editor and post it to you? i dont know, i have not participated on any project like this yet, so i dont know how things are going and so..

Awesome stuff! Doomhero, I'm gonna need some snow textures.... I'm going to try do two maps for this project, one will be a cursed cathedral in a hellish wintery hail Satan setting, and the next is a map that I've been working on for a while, was actually the first map I've started working on heh.

Some of those midis are pretty good, that puredark one has an awesome but cute cheesey vampire feel to it. I've edited it a little bit to make it feel more DooMy and awesome!

Archvile22 said:

Hi, i am new here. I really like difficult hell-themed maps a lot and i would like to participate on this project. so what i have to do? just make some good hell-themed map in the editor and post it to you? i dont know, i have not participated on any project like this yet, so i dont know how things are going and so..

Welcome (back?) to Doomworld, download Doombuilder 2 if you haven't already.

http://www.doombuilder.com/index.php?p=downloads

Make sure you make the map in Boom format.

Hmm, debating putting the map I mean to make for newgothic in here ... on textures, all the textures in newgothic are from texture packs on realm667, if you want to take that. Mostly gothic-related though. Also have the ultratex in there ...

UnholyMessias said:

Oh god please no costum monsters, they dont add anything to the gameplay.

That's bullshit; new monsters act all different from the stock ones, presenting different challenges and tactics.

I've got ideas for 2 maps. The first will have you escaping from a tomb embedded in a crumbling mountain and I'm hoping to get a marshy Hellish forrest feel in the other.

@DoomHero85: Are we claiming slots then or just sending you maps as and when they're finished? If it's the former I'll take MAP01 & 2 if possible.

Just send maps in. Make as many as you want, maybe we can get TWO megawads out of this ;)

@Archvile22: Great to have you here! Yeah, just make some artistic looking hell map, and send it to me.

Anyone willing to rip textures from other megawads and maps to make a texture pack for this? DVII *cough*, every hell texture from realm667, *cough*, Psyren, Shadowcaster, Amulets and Armor (maybe), and of course new textures are welcome. The textures in my map don't seem to be boom compatible for some reason.

I'll play them and decide the order.

printz said:

That's bullshit; new monsters act all different from the stock ones, presenting different challenges and tactics.

Yes and no. Biggest problem is that almost no one really knows how custom monsters really behave, so they can't design their fights accordingly. That, and custom monsters are most of the time used "just because I can." Combined that results in fights that are a mess of all kinds of monsters without any thought put into it.

Jodwin said:

That, and custom monsters are most of the time used "just because I can." Combined that results in fights that are a mess of all kinds of monsters without any thought put into it.

Anything can be done well or poorly.

So what about skies? I'm thinking that we split this into 3 or so episodes each with a different hellish sky?

Jodwin said:

Yes and no. Biggest problem is that almost no one really knows how custom monsters really behave, so they can't design their fights accordingly. That, and custom monsters are most of the time used "just because I can." Combined that results in fights that are a mess of all kinds of monsters without any thought put into it.

Yeah, custom monsters will without a doubt make the wad more of a mixed bag than it was already going to be.

If I wasn't so lazy to learn how to map I'd be all over this...as far as custom monsters I'd only go with a couple as well. The Afrit and Bruiserdemon would be great options imo. I'll be keeping track of this for the time being...

DeathevokatioN said:

So what about skies? I'm thinking that we split this into 3 or so episodes each with a different hellish sky?

MBF sky transfers?

Jodwin said:

MBF sky transfers?

I think it'd be better if each episode had it's own sky though, it's painful for me to play mega wads when the sky keeps changing after each and every single map. So where the maps bare little to no consistency, at least having the same sky for each episode can sort of string them together, and make it feel like a focused project rather than a compilation of maps like the Community Chest series (not that I look down on the Community Chest series at all in any way though, it's definitely awesome in it's own right). And then Doomhero just lumps the maps according to which sky they were made for.

If someone wants a sky that's not provided then it'd be better to maybe place their map in between episodes so the map can act as a joining point between episodes or something. Hope this all makes sense.

I know it's not my project though, heh.

You could always go for a KDIZD-ish "time of day" effect - start with a brighter Hell sky for the first episode, a "dusk" sky for the second, and a more sinister-looking night sky for the final.

(It's a bit sad that I thought I had to come up with another word that isn't "twilight" because Stephanie Meyer has ruined the word for me...)

I would like to submit a map for this... is it ok if I use it in my own wad too, tho?

I will make it hard, it's HELL... lol. One question, is this for doom2?