Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Popular mappers of the 90's

I'm looking for some old doom wads to play. What are some good mappers that released stuff from 1993-1999?

Chris Klie and Dr. Sleep come to mind. I know there are a lot more but I can't think of them. Shoot me some suggestions.

I remember really having enjoyed Kurt Kesler's themed map series, especially the metal ones I remember fondly. I should play through some of those again one day actually. Anyway, that's one recommendation.

And if you haven't played through all of the classic megawads that's an obvious place to start.

Kurt Kesler, Malcolm Sailor, Chris Lutz for early aughties I guess. Those are top of my 90s list.

George "KInG Re0L" Fiffy? That is, before that whole elevator fetish thing...

Iikka Keranen has put out some really good maps, most of which use complex geometry and custom textures to create rather awe-inspiring effects. He contributed quite a bit to Requiem.

Andy Badorek, Paul Schmitz. I guess Justin Fisher, Anthony Soto and Chris Hansen are too well-known for you, 40oz?

Aside from those already mentioned, I also love the old maps by the following people:

• Tobias Forsberg (the Ropy levels are kick-ass!)
  • Derek "Afterglow" MacDonald
  • Roger Ritenour
  • Tom "Mr.DooM" Sanner for his Mr.DooM 30 deathmatch WAD, which was by far my favorite DM levelset back then.
  • Qingshuo "piXel reX" Wang made some well-received levels. I especially like his Rocketeer level, which is among my biggest single player favorites of all time.
  • Mike "Cyb" Watson, who made both the Eulogy series and the Artica series of WADs during the 90s. However, it should be noted that these aren't quite as good as his later works.
  • Richard Wiles
  • Plus of course the Doom megateams of the 90s, TeamTNT and The Innocent Crew, made some good stuff.
Doomworld's top 100 list is also a good place to look for further ideas.

Jan Van der Veken, author of the awesome 90s Classic* series, which were compiled into Classic Episode in 2002
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=8120
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=11658
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=14090

Probably more early 00s but Christian Hansen
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=11242

I'll check out my 90s folders and get back to you.

You may find this page interesting (I did):

http://reocities.com/TimesSquare/8666/top32.html

where people voted for their favourites in 1998. Tastes change and I'm sure the leaders (Iikka and Adel) would be rated much lower now than back in 1998. I didn't see any Dystopia3 mention in these forum for 2 years. Also Gaston Lahaut seems to be a bit forgotten/abandoned, which is sad.

vdgg said:
Also Gaston Lahaut seems to be a bit forgotten/abandoned, which is sad.

I'm still here..?

Mordeth said:
I'm still here..?

Haha, I just chose the option "search for all posts by this user" and you post in these particular parts of the forums which I seldom browse. No offence intended, of course. From my point of view - mainly Demos, sometimes General, WADs, Editing, Source Ports - Mordeth (WAD) is covered with verdigris and forgotten. Last (and only) demos for Mordeth were recorded in... let me check... 2001 by Opulent.

I went thru my folders of 90s maps I've played and thought good enough to keep.

I can't believe I forgot to mention Jim Flynn!

Other regular names were Michael Reed of Hoover Dam fame, Tobias Forsberg who made the awesome Ropy series when he was just 15, Thomas V who made TV1998 and Revolution!

Dr Sleep, Malcom Sailor and Andy Olivera featured but they have already been mentioned. I also have kept a number of maps by Richard Smol though his name doesn't ring a bell for me.

Strangely, a decent percentage of the good mid-90s maps I have are by Aussies. Go us :P

Casali Brothers without a doubt (Plutonia, Memento Mori maps 23/24, Requiem map 23, The Punisher, etc.) and :

Jimmy91 said:

Iikka Keranen has put out some really good maps, most of which use complex geometry and custom textures to create rather awe-inspiring effects. He contributed quite a bit to Requiem.

Dystopia 3 is a must play BTW.

1.) Gonzalo P‚rez de la Ossa and Albert Valls
2.) Warren Marshall
3.) Kevyn Shellington and Derek Noel
4.) Arakis

I think he just uploaded that map to /idgames and the author is someone else.

Jimmy91 said:

Iikka Keranen has put out

What a shame. Do his parents know? ;)

Super Jamie said:

Author: Arakis
E-mail: Deeforce_2@hotmail.com
:V

No, Ty Halderman only accepts wads, when in the txt there is an email. Arakis had no email. Do you like Arena?

A lot of the main ones have already been mentioned, and the references to the classic megawads kind of implies the authors of the maps contained in them. But still, a few specific mentions by name (and a few others) seem appropriate:

Alex Mayberry
Sverre Kvernmo
Bob Evans
Don Howard
T. Elliott Cannon
Michal Mesko
Adam Windsor
Yonatan Donner
Dave Swift
Tom Mustaine
Steve McCrea
Bob Reganess
Nick Anderson
James Wilson
Jon Landis
Patrick Hipps
Daniel Norman
Scott Crank
Scott Lampert
Chad Moore
Dave Sherwin
Nigel Rowand
Sonny Wasinger
Richard Ward
Pavel Hodek
Andy Chen
Claude Martins
Rand Phares
Steven Phares

...and the TeamTNT members list is pretty much a who's who of 1990s Doom mapping

Aww, man! Jim Flynn's only been mentioned once? I always loved his style -- totally unconventional constructs and very dynamic architecture. His maps might not be the prettiest ever, but they more than make up for it by being strange and interesting. Enigma is a damn good wad and his contributions to Master Levels and Eternal Doom are (to me) the best in each set.

*ahem* -- Annoying fanmoment over-ish.

Xaser said:

Everything okay with the zip file? I could not just copy and paste the wad with the windows explorer out of the zip file. I had to use winrar to unzip it. The txt and diz file I can extract with the windows explorer... I tried downloading the zip file again; I downloaded other zips (no problem to extract them with the windows explorer).

Xaser said:

Aww, man!

No excuses! Go and create TurboCharged ARCADE! Episode 02, please!

The zip opens fine with Winzip for me, so I think that pretty conclusively suggests that the zip is OK.

I would certainly have mentioned Jim Flynn by name in my post, but I was trying to avoid duplicating names already mentioned. BTW, note that Enigma was a compilation of revised versions of Flynn's early maps (for most of them, there is a prototype map for Doom1). They are generally less elaborate than some of his later maps, notably the Titan series (some of which were in the Master Levels), and of course his contributions to Eternal, which Xaser mentions.

He was a mapper who always seemed focused on making innovative maps, rather than just recreating earlier concepts, which I very much appreciated.

Perhaps the name Bob Evans, which I featured in my list, seems unfamiliar as there are very few standalone releases by him. That's because for all but the last wad in his "Odessa" series, he didn't release them to the cdrom.com archive (just to CompuServe and maybe some other places), and did not allow distribution of them. So most of his maps aren't available for public download any more, which is sad. His Odessa releases were among the more eagerly awaited in the mid-1990s, IIRC.

I agree with Grazza about Jim Flynn's "innovative" maps and a big reason that drew me to them.

I don't know many mappers by name, but I recognize Bob Evans from his eternall maps. It's too bad that he prohibited distribution of his other maps. Do people still have these maps on their computer anyway?

Which also made me curious about whether Chris Couleur released any maps outside of eternall?