Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
darkdave1985

delete my old maps please!!!

hey to everyone,

i have a big, big and very important request. about 1 year ago, i uploaded 6 maps which i made, here to the id archive. they all can be found under the directory:

levels/doom2/ports (and then the specific sub-category)

this is, because they only work on zdoom. also to be exact, i don't uploaded them by myself back then, because i was not able to do it. so, another guy here from doomworld helped me and has done it for me back then. but i don't know his name anymore, sorry. oh, but here are the names of my 6 maps from thence.

1) CLOSE FEAR
2) EYE OF THE STORM
3) HALL OF DESTRUCTION
4) INSANE TRIP I
5) INSANE TRIP II
6) LOST ISLAND

i don't know, who is competent for deleting maps from the id archive, but when this competent person read this here, please delete this 6 maps for me. or when anybody knows, which person is competent for this, please tell that person about my request. then this person, can talk with me personally, when he want so. however.

and just for explanation why i want this:

i was a bad mapper without any experience back then, and this was the reason why the maps were so bad back then and have been criticized so much. but this was for such a long time ago, and meanwhile i'm a good mapper with skills and talent and i know now, how to create good maps. meanwhile i've made all my 6 maps from thence, a million times better and now you can play them without any problems. and this is the reason, why i want that my old maps should been deleted. in anytime soon, i want to uplaod my 6 maps again, but this time in the good and final version now. and so anyone should delete my 6 old bad maps, immediately. really immediately, ok? to the person which will do it. thank you very much and please inform me about it, when it's done. thanks!

anyone who can help me, please help me. this thing is really important for me. these bad old maps, should been history and no one should see or download them anymore. thanks!

djd

I'm sure if you added a message to your text files saying that the maps you will be uploading are replacements of older maps, the archive maintainer would gladly delete them.

Regardless, I understand why you would want old, bad maps deleted from the records of history, but wouldn't you want to keep them around as a historical record of previous work and show of improvement?

Personally, I have a bunch of crap on the idGames Archives that I admit were awful, and some things floating around on AOL's archives of terrible Doom maps, but as long as they exist, they serve as a means of proof that I am a lot better now than I was years ago.

I don't know where I was going with this. Just I thought I had, I guess.

THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL /IDGAMES MIRROR! This is a community service provided by Linguica and Doomworld; it is not affiliated with Gamers.org, any of the /idgames mirrors, or anyone else. If you have a problem with the /idgames archives, go complain to them.

Bingo. I'm gonna play those maps now.

Also, a lot of mappers don't know this, but usually when your maps get a lot of criticism (especially here on doomworld), that's usually a good sign. There are many shitpile maps here that get totally ignored. If you are receiving criticism for your maps, that's usually an indication that your audience can see that you have potential to improve and become a better mapper, while receiving very little feedback would usually indicate that you're hopeless.

Another thing you should keep in mind is the historical context of your mapping. Don't you like to compare your new maps to your old ones? I have several maps I've uploaded here that I'm not particularly proud of, but it is relieving to know that the maps I create now are far better than the ones I created then.

I would like to say you, that despite the criticism your maps recieved here, i liked the maps. they were very difficult and challenging and i like such maps. the only damaging thing to the gameplay was that you have putted to few ammo and health into them, what forced the player to use to much saves. however the monster placement was quite good in most cases in your maps. especially in the eye of the storm i liked it.

darkdave1985 said:

meanwhile i've made all my 6 maps from thence, a million times better and now you can play them without any problems. and this is the reason, why i want that my old maps should been deleted. in anytime soon, i want to uplaod my 6 maps again, but this time in the good and final version now.

I'd suggest you upload the revised wads along with a .MSG file listing the wads they're to replace. Hopefully they're not as hard as the originals.

If you look closely, you'll see in the /idgames folder a file called UPLOADING. I'm pretty sure this contains specific instructions for replacing old maps with a new upload.

Also, the new maps will get reviewed :D

Why don't you just make new maps and forget about the old? Perhaps you won't fall down the likes of Chris Wright if you don't keep it up.

I vote to keep them up because frankly, this is the internet and the internet is like a history keeper in digital form for files. I have old shit maps of my own before using this alias when uploading them but I make no attempt to hunt them down and remove them, do I?

No, it's not worth the time and effort.

darkdave1985 said:
and just for explanation why i want this:

i was a bad mapper without any experience back then, and this was the reason why the maps were so bad back then and have been criticized so much. but this was for such a long time ago, and meanwhile i'm a good mapper with skills and talent and i know now, how to create good maps. meanwhile i've made all my 6 maps from thence, a million times better and now you can play them without any problems. and this is the reason, why i want that my old maps should been deleted. in anytime soon, i want to uplaod my 6 maps again, but this time in the good and final version now. and so anyone should delete my 6 old bad maps, immediately. really immediately, ok? to the person which will do it. thank you very much and please inform me about it, when it's done. thanks!

That is a dumb reason. Some people like to play crappy maps then and then, so there's no need to remove levels from the archive because of their sub-par quality. Quit being concerned about your mistakes. If you can't stomach committing errors along the way, I am skeptical you'll get much better (regardless of what you say about being a good mapper now).

Just move on. Quit even worrying about the old maps. The experienced regulars here, who often write the /TnC reviews, aren't going to forget them anyway, even if they are deleted from the archive. They are still in our hard drives!