Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tristan84

System Shock Doom

Has anyone played System Shock? Not System Shock 2, but the ORIGINAL System Shock? I suck at mapping, but I was wondering if anyone who is good at mapping could try to recreate the game in the Doom engine. If you haven't played System Shock, I recommend getting it.

The original System Shock is quite a piece of work - from a technological standpoint, it's pretty interesting in relation to Doom. Released a year later, the engine is still tile based like Wolfenstein 3D.

However, to compensate, there's floor/ceiling ramps, elevators, breakables, and pseudo-3D bridges over floors. Similarly to Daggerfall, it also had some low-poly models here and there - chairs and computers and the like. It's pretty fun, and I have to admit I prefer the upbeat cyberpunk atmosphere of the original over System Shock 2, which felt almost exclusively like a horror game most of the time.

The core level geometry of every System Shock 1 area could definitely be recreated on the Doom engine. However, the actual gameplay, especially the hacking puzzles and health/energy/psi system, would be kind of tricky to implement. I think a project like this would be pretty cool, if only to allow for custom maps. Don't forget the awesome music.

==I agree with you 100%. Like I've said before, I don't do maps. They just end up looking like crap. Anyways, I've thought of some ideas for weapons/hazards/enemies.

1. Laser Rapier/Lead Pipe
2. Mini Pistol/Magnum 2100/Dargun/stungun/sparq
3. Riot Gun/aAssault Rifle
4. Flechette/RF-Skorpion
5. Railgun (more of a rocket launcher rifle)/Frag/Gas/EarthShaker/Concussion Grenades/Landmines
6. Magpulse/Plasma Rifle (hurt you more than enemies)

Hazards

Radiation: On the first level of System Shock, the "resistance was holed up in an area of Beta Quadrant, protected by a radioactive trench. Any areas like this, (Reactor/area on Level 8 before Bridge) will do damage while in the area, and continue doing damage for a few seconds after.

Virus: On Beta Grove, SHODAN is creating a mutated virus that she/it is going to release on Earth. Same effects as Radiation

Energy Drain Mines: Drains any availzable energy, not health, just energy.

WildWeasel said:

It'd need a port that supports 3D floors, I could tell you that much.

Thing bridges will be enough.

A replica would be boring and pointless. Something based on System Shock could be interesting if done well enough to stand on its own as more than "well, it's sort of like System Shock, only we couldn't do a bunch of stuff," though.

Most of the more complicated puzzles/Cyberspace bits could probably be pulled off using ZDoom, what with its scripts and hubs, although it could be a pain in the arse to actually implement.

AFAIC, as long as SHODAN is in there... ;)

I'd be far more interested to see something in the style of System Shock but with original level design and flair. Put some Doom elements in there; maybe the teleportation experiments were designed by an AI? Recreating System Shock would be a great technical feat, but doing something more with it would be even better.

Super Jamie said:

Someone should totally re-create part of the first System Shock level in Doom.

Disclaimer: that was my first idgames release and I haven't looked at it since. From memory, the enemy balance sucks and TTLG forums derided my lack of slopes and System Shock textures.

You can get the textures in Doom format here.

That System Shock textures WAD doesn't do crap! Everything is exactly the same. Kudos on the nice attempt to recreate the medical level.

You don't load the wad with the IWAD levels, that's not how it works. The file contains textures in Doom format with which you can make your own System Shock-themed maps.

I suck at making maps. Even though I think the map looks like the one from the original game, it still looks like crap.

EDIT

Besides, I can't get any mapping program to work on Vista. It always gives me a message saying that the program isn't compatible.

WildWeasel said:

For a while I was trying to recreate the Medical deck of Citadel Station in ZDoom - however I didn't get very far, I got halfway through the second room before giving up for some reason.
Screenshot of about as far as I've got it done, using Doom textures because I feel like it.

Pretty neat, although the scale is a bit odd. Seeing as how you could lean and crouch in System Shock, the player when standing seemed to be much taller than Doomguy. May have to adjust rooms accordingly.

I'm learning how to use Doom Builder 2, and attempting to create the first level from System Shock. I'm using steps instead of slopes, mainly because they're easier. I actually am using the texture WAD to do most of the texturing. The doors, I'm still using Doom textures. Right now, I'm trying to make the level look accurate by putting in proper textures, going by memory from what I remember from System Shock. If you've ever played System shock, and looked behind you, you would see the healing unit you were in. Anyways, I've started putting the texture for the healing unit in, but it's flipped in the opposite direction. How do I make it look right?

I wonder how well a System Shock/Marathon/Doom combo game would be, completely new maps with assets from all three games (mostly Marathon and System Shock) and the best and most memorable gameplay aspects from each.

TrueDude said:

I wonder how well a System Shock/Marathon/Doom combo game would be, completely new maps with assets from all three games (mostly Marathon and System Shock) and the best and most memorable gameplay aspects from each.

I like your idea. I'm thinking about using the System Shock textures for some maps.

What I'd like to see is the RPG elements ported to Doom. Different powers, stats, hacking...it'd make for a pretty interesting TC.

Mr. Freeze said:

What I'd like to see is the RPG elements ported to Doom. Different powers, stats, hacking...it'd make for a pretty interesting TC.

How would I do that in Doom Builder 2? If it involves any coding, I don't do coding.

Tristan84 said:

How would I do that in Doom Builder 2? If it involves any coding, I don't do coding.

RPG system may be a hard combination of new items (DECORATE) and scripts (ACS). You can't do it only with Doom Builder.

I just checked some YT vids of System shock out and it looks really cool, it must be possible with (G)Zdoom

After reading what someone said about it's Wolf3D engine, does anybody know some more games that use a modified block-based Wolf3D engine (apart from ROT) - just out of curiosity?

phobosdeimos1 said:

Nevermind, I see it uses a completely new engine, not the Wolf3D one

yeah, looking glass were pioneers as much as id. the system shock engine (derived from a flight sim engine according to wiki, heh) was actually their 2nd gen 3d engine. their first used in the two ultima underworld games already supported non-orthogonal walls, sloped surfaces, freelook and basic polygonal objects before even wolfenstein 3d came out!

one common problem with nearly all LGT games was insane hardware requirements. carmack sacrificed a lot of features to have the games play swift even on contemporary computers, system shock was barely playable on the best hardware available then - and you still had to free up your RAM to allow voices or hi-res.

TrueDude said:

I've been thinking about that, except my idea is something like a cross between System Shock, Marathon, Doom, Halo, and Dead Space.

I've been thinking of some of the weapons for it.

1: fist/baseball bat
2: Glock 18/Plasma Bolter
3: AA-12 shotgun/Plasma Shotgun
4: AK-47
5: M79 Grenade Launcher
6: UT99 Pulse Gun

I don't know what to use for 7.

I recall a website for an attempted System Shock Doom TC long ago, but I can't find any trace of the site anymore (it was shut down by request from the IP holders). I myself have considered making an System Shock-inspired game with Doom's engine. I'm curious to see how System Shock's graphics, levels, enemies, and weapons would be recreated for the Doom engine. It's a shame no one still has completed such mod yet.

StoneFrog said:

However, the actual gameplay, especially the hacking puzzles and health/energy/psi system, would be kind of tricky to implement.

Not with ZDoom's ACS scripting.

Aw man, I was hoping to see some sort of WIP or something. Nifty ideas being tossed around, even if they are 3 years old.

I'd play a System Shock TC (or at least something with its mechanics) in a heartbeat.

I also wonder if Ultima Underworld could be done in the Doom engine as well.