Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MACVILE_WHORE

i have a new idea (seriously)

Ok, Zaldron might be able to explain this one better, because it has to do with physics and polygon displacement and shit, but here it goes.

Hows about, if ID put in something I'd like to call:

"polygon-displacment-weight-ratio"

Explaination:

If something is over a cetain amount of polys (normal from what i've heard will be around 25,000 right?), it would make a louder, deeper sound, like if we have a cyberdemon, which would be over, like ALOT OF POLY's if it falls down it should shake the ground, and its steps should have more impact on the environment. AND if it falls in the water it would make bigass waves and loud splashing sounds. Compared to an imp, which would be a small amount of poly's in this case, would make small waves and quiter stepping sound, and would have little effect on the surrounding terrian.

What I'm trying to say here is, say the cyber demon is standing on a brush without very much support under it, it could fall straight through the floor if it stomps around to much, and if it couldn't fit through a cetain area it could just bash its way through IF the brush isn't thick enough to hold it off. AND it could also make small craters where it stomps around, because the weight displacement of his polys would just make craters in the ground if it was an outside area, which is a very large-ass brush with very good support (a terrian type surface is very thick, unless there is a hole or cave in which the support is thinner than the surrounding environment).

To explain it in hopefully easier terms, the heavier the polycount is, the more drastic its effect on the surrounding environment.

And also the heavier it is, the faster it falls, unless we are in a no gravity situation where this doesn't apply.

If Zaldron see's this I hope he can explain it much more clearly than I did, and I hope you like this idea, because it IS new.)

Comments, flames, blah blah blah...

I like the idea of things crashing trough floors when they're too heavy but why should this be tied to the polycount ? You can make a 5,000 poly Cyberdemon and a 50,000 poly imp ; more detail does not mean more weight.

And also the heavier it is, the faster it falls, unless we are in a no gravity situation where this doesn't apply.

If you payed attention during physics class in school, you'll know that falling speed is not dependent of weight, but of resistance to the air around the object. In fact, if you drop a ten-pound brick and a feather right next to each other in a vacuum, they'll both fall at the same speed.

I haven't had physics class yet, they don't have physics in grade 10 yet.

Ok I have a better Idea, hows about in the code for each entitie they have a IF_WEIGHT command tied into the code for each monster/whatever. This could be an extra codepointer in the sourcecode, thus giving modders more freedom with physics.

Well yeah, exactly. Weight is a property just like size, hitpoints or whatever. It doesn't make much sense to base the weight of something on the amount of polygon detail - when you can just put "Cyberdemon->weight = 1500" in the source code.

Like in DDF they have MASS=#
That would be cool. You could also tie this to random masses, so like there are two imps, one flys back from a shotgun blast, while the other one, being heavier, falls forward, because the shotgun blast can't move it, because it is not strong enough, shit like that...

Excellent post, in fact you very close to a technology already developed, not wighted poly gon, but weighted VERTEX, its how they make the jiggligin stretching, and "dead-guy-falls-off-the-ledge-when-his-body's-halfway-draping-from-the-side"

this will probably be in doomX, because they mentioned a deadguys body being dragged by demon, that would be hard to pull of without wighted vertex