Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

Piracy and the Obama Administration

hardcore_gamer said:

Read what I said above. The only way you will get into trouble is if actually attempt to look for torrents, and if you don't supports piracy then why in the world would you want to do so?

Read what I said above.

bytor said:

So that's where YOU would draw the line? You're naive.

'Most' musicians, or musical artists if you will, make the majority of their money off of touring. After all the other people get their chunk of the pie - producers, managers, record label, distributers, etc., there's not much left.

Is digital piracy illegal? Yes. Is [digital] piracy theft? No.

Internet piracy is 'copyright infringement', for better or worse, there is no point in calling it anything else.

That being said, screw any government agency who thinks they have the right to tell us what we can, or cannot type into a search engine. In the end, the means for finding pirated good will go even further underground. These laws, if passed, will make no appreciable dent on internet piracy. They'll only shift the pirate's goalposts, and honest citizens will be robbed of another right.

hardcore_gamer said:

Read what I said above. The only way you will get into trouble is if actually attempt to look for torrents, and if you don't supports piracy then why in the world would you want to do so?

I think the problem is that you only associate piracy as being a crime. I would like to see you research a bit further into why people support it before continuing to argue, and why people take their privacy around it so seriously. I would like to hear your opinions afterwards, all I'm saying is that their is two sides to a story, and I completely understand your point.

hardcore_gamer said:

I have no argument, so here are some images!

:/

hardcore_gamer said:

In other words you are simply to cheap to spend money on your entertainment.

hardcore_gamer said:

But at the end of the day, you are just a collection of lazy thieves unwilling to work a few extra hours so that you can buy that new game/album/movie/whatever.

Fuck you and the horse you rode in on. YOU try working 40-45 hours a week, and seeing 3/4 of your money go to taxes/essentials. YOU try going without food for a day because HR fucked your paycheck up. YOU try saving up for a apartment and realize your "fun budget" for the week just hit zero after your bank deposit.

Aliotroph? said:

The other disturbing part is the the one about criminalizing P2P stuff. If a tool has any use it must be legal. Freeloading consumers are not legitimate reasons to ban whole streams of software development, censor or monitor searches, or to use DRM that only hurts the paying guys anyway.

Yeah, this is just ridiculous. P2P technologies have wide uses around the world, and not all of them are used to pirate copyrighted material. Heck, if you made a program to share work documents in P2P-manner between your own computers in your home WLAN, put it online after seeing it to be very useful and then someone else on the other side of the world uses it to connect with friends at school to share music, you would be guilty. What the fuck is that?

edit: This would technically make all IM software with file transfer features illegal aswell, no?

hardcore_gamer said:

Guys, copyright infringement is bad. Now let me upload these cool images I found on the Internet. These free images I got sure reinforce my message, and I have every right to do with them as I wish.

I doubt I could buy early Terrordrome or Thunderdome albums anywhere, so fuck anyone who tells me I can't get them in any other way.

Applies to games, movies, etc.

Hardcore_gamer needs a name change to hardcore_capitalist methinks.. The future doesn't have room for all this trivial nonsense like intellectual property and copyright. Relics of the past, I say! Imagine a Utopian future where human beings realize that their existence does not revolve around currency. Where creating something amazing in whatever form and releasing it to the rest of humanity in an egalitarian display of generosity and good-will (read: compassion) causes the creator to experience an elation not found when the goal of creation is accumulation of currency. Selfless acts in whatever form are always rewarded.

This is where things are headed, should the human organism allow itself to expand beyond the crib.

This p2p/filesharing business is but one tendril of this new found awareness, the dissemination of culture (art, literature, music, even games). Bypassing the channels set up for it, enterprising humans have subverted the artificial processes of exchange and taxation, and are simply doing things the most efficient way possible for the benefit of the masses - as water chooses the most appropriate way to decent a rocky mountain slope to the sea.

Those creators that cling to the artificial confines of capitalist society, mostly caused by indoctrination since childhood (when did I sign up for that?!) and positive reinforcement by peers, run the risk of losing the plot entirely, missing out on the opportunity for real expansion of awareness themselves.

Why do I exist again?

To detach from the base survival instinct, fear, and embrace selfless service to one's fellow man is that next Great Leap, I foretell.

Some great reading/watching to shake up ye olde belief system:

Political Ponerology - http://www.ponerology.com/

Dan Winter - amazing 2h video http://goldenmean.info/

Whee!

hardcore_gamer said:

But at the end of the day, you are just a collection of lazy thieves unwilling to work a few extra hours so that you can buy that new game/album/movie/whatever.

This isn't about condoning or condemning piracy, it's about having rights. Software engineers will no longer be able to (legally) write P2P programs because it could be used for piracy. If that's the case, basically every communication program could be illegal (send an mp3 over AIM, MIRC, etc).

Also, you said that my example earlier was wrong but I'll phrase it in a way which matches your description instead. If someone buys a bunch of sleeping pills and intends to commit suicide, should they be charged with commiting suicide before they even open the bottle?

I don't know if many people know about this, but recently pro-piracy political parties starting popping up in multiple countries which may be worth a look while on the subject:

Canada: http://www.pirateparty.ca/

USA: http://www.pirate-party.us/ (Suspiciously, this website is down now.)

UK: http://www.pirateparty.org.uk/

And others: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_Parties_International

iori said:

Hardcore_gamer needs a name change to hardcore_capitalist methinks.

He needs his old custom title back about being a moron, especially for those images. I'd also bet he's some teenager that has never worked for anything.

iori said:

Hardcore_gamer needs a name change to hardcore_capitalist methinks.

Uh, no. *I'm* a hardcore capitalist. This guy is just hardcore deluded.

Belial said:

I doubt I could buy early Terrordrome or Thunderdome albums anywhere, so fuck anyone who tells me I can't get them in any other way.

Its quite easy to get them here second hand :p

As a musician and as a poor person I have no qualms against downloading music off of the internet.

hardcore_gamer posted:
humorous pictures ironizing what he preaches in all seriousness

way to score an own goal. anyways, this is what i get from your posts:

hardcore_gamer thinks:
we should give away parts of our freedom and human rights, because multinational corporations tell us to via their government proxies in their quest for more money and power.
we should establish thought crimes and punish everyone preemptively as a potentional criminal.
we should stretch meanings of words and damage estimations to criminalize the harmless and demonize social behaviour as preying on the society.
also morals should accomodate to whatever law the government passes, because the man knows better and there's no room for grey zones.

i'm far from seeing piracy as some noble fight against the corporate oppressor, but the copyright companies get to rob everyone in broad daylight AND point finger at small time 'thieves'? no thank you. they deserve all the current piracy and more.

Thought crime indeed! Penalizing people based on searches is worse than what the Chinese do. It would make more sense to criminalize suggesting such harsh measures in a political arena, but that would still be a free-speech issue and extremely wrong.

Scet said:

He needs his old custom title back about being a moron, especially for those images. I'd also bet he's some teenager that has never worked for anything.

I am 20 years old's and I work for a living, and besides a nintendo console I got for x-mas when I was ten and a speaker set I got for x-mas when I was sixteen, I have literally worked for every piece luxury item I use. Even as my friends pirated, I did not.

I truly believe that nobody has the right to pirate shit if he has the option of just working harder to earn more money. I mean its not like games are so super expensive that you can't afford to spend a extra 40-60 dollars a month unless you have a really shitty job.

hardcore_gamer said:

I mean its not like games are so super expensive that you can't afford to spend a extra 40-60 dollars a month unless you have a really shitty job.

I don't know about you, but not a lot of people can't spend an extra (more like 70 - 100) dollars a month on entertainment, and a lot of people ARE stuck in really shitty jobs. If you have so much money to throw around and you're only 20, you either don't live by yourself or you are greatly overpaid for what you do.

Games aren't cheap, I paid close to 50 euro's for Metro 2033. So I'm now stuck with a game that has cost me around 50 euro's and I get all the steam shit as a bonus.

I can understand the reason why people resort to pirating their games because of lack of money to buy games legally. Maybe making games cheaper would be a solution.

Games are expensive, so I stick with my old thousand times replay value games instead of buying no replay value new games that need subscriptions to online services to make the game more worthwhile or a $200 console system or $2,000 computer system.

iori said:

Commie Propoganda

Communist!

I like my $2000 (well, more like $1000) computer system. It has so many uses that aren't games. Fast computers are just awesome. That said, many games carry the requirements to an extreme and I can understand why people don't like dealing with PC games. Console games, though they have dumbed down everything beyond belief, have managed to rein that in somewhat. New games still run pretty well on my non-new computer.

Many games are cheap or even free. It's nice to support those. I certainly buy a lot more of those than the expensive kind. Steam has managed to help nicely there. They always have crazy sales and give-aways.

I certainly can't claim copying anything you want is legal or justifiable, but I can claim the measures used to try and stop it are stupid, wrong, greedy, sometimes evil, and occasionally illegal. They should also not be the business of the state. Pro-business politicians disgust me and people who go out of their way to try and elect them disgust me even more.

iori said:

Some great reading/watching to shake up ye olde belief system:

Political Ponerology - http://www.ponerology.com/

Dan Winter - amazing 2h video http://goldenmean.info/

Whee!

Goldenmean.info reads:
Dan Winter is most known as a teacher of Sacred Geometry and Coherent Emotion. His invention's HeartTuner and BlissTuner have earned him literary credit (book:'Instinct to Heal') for inventing the term Heart Coherence. Discovering the harmonic content of compassion in EKG and bliss - even enlightenment in EEG - lead him to a radical new physics: that IMPLOSION - the electrical -geometry of fractality- is the cause BLISS - as it is the cause of gravity in general - and the destiny of DNA in particular. He teaches that the hygiene for bliss - creates fractal conditions (the sacred) defining the charge field which ignites and matures DNA into BLISS. He has dedicated his life to teaching - and is personally known around the entire Earth - with web presence (5 languages), 3 books, films and DVD's. His message is simple- the coherence in the aura field - generated by fractal compression - called the KA in Egypt- is what creates your vehicle for memory into death and the lucid dream. This immortalizing potential in the charge created by blood on fire with bliss - is the real message of ancient religion - the real physics of the grail ...

How is this psuedoscience quackery related to anything in this thread?

IMPLOSION - the electrical -geometry of fractality- is the cause BLISS

Fractal implosion of bliss...yeah mon...feelin' it.

kristus said:

Judge Dredd anyone?

[/B]
It reminds me Demolition Man too.

kristus said:

i applaud sweden for making it work. the czech spin-off is a miserable failure and bombed in the parliament election rightfully. although one of their candidates became a short-lived net celebrity for her erotic videos.

I don't care I buy the things I want anyway.