Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Abyssalstudios1

DVII MAP01 nightmare speedrun (please merge with link provided)

Attention: Due to an excellent suggestion, I am requesting that this thread is merged with http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-speed-demos/51549-youtube-speedrun-thread/ . Thank you.

(Notice: This is in the Doom General forum because it's not an actual demo file. Go ahead and move it if it really upsets you that much.)

A month or two ago, I was speaking with a certain alcoholic beverage in a UAC Ultra survival server. We were discussing the nightmare game mode, and I brought up DVII MAP01. He flat out refused to accept that it was possible.

A few nights ago, I began recording my attempts to beat this. During one such event, it worked. Since this is a video of a practice session, the quality is not so great, but it gets the job done.

Filmed with FRAPS whilst playing on Skulltag.

EDIT: Who "disliked" this? 44 views and 1 dislike. Goddammit, if it's about the lack of prboom, I'm going to be pissed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHXAum7G--4

NOTES:
-The imp in front of the mancubus will save your ass by absorbing a few fireballs while you blow up the barrels.
-The hordes of zombies on the dam are an excellent source of ammo/infighting. Just avoid the fireballs and head for the double medkit.
-The cacodemon room is by far the hardest part. It's an exercise in sheer luck every time you play. I got lucky this time in that one of the barrels was detonated by a monster's stray projectile.

Dayum.

Someone will probably come along and tell you it doesn't count because you didn't play it in PrBoom+ without freelook or whatever, but I think it's impressive regardless.

esselfortium said:

Dayum.

Someone will probably come along and tell you it doesn't count because you didn't play it in PrBoom+ without freelook or whatever, but I think it's impressive regardless.

Someone already did in the YouTube comments. lulz

It doesn't count because you didn't play it in PrBoom+ without freelook or something, even though esselfortium thinks it's impressive regardless.

well there's this thread and you could've created a Miscellaneous Youtube videos thread in the speedrunning subforum. i bet it'd be quite popular. herring, tenda and the others could post videos there too, it gets a bit complicated to follow all their stuff with the mess that is the youtube interface.

essel> to each his own, i guess. nm demos are always an accomplishment and it's not like he's competing for best time recognition. right? i have to admit i smirked at the frequent saving though. it was a single segment in the end (wouldn't be cool otherwise), so why not keep staring at menus in turn based strategies. :p

You know, I should do the youtube demo thread. I might make it and ask a mod to merge this thread w/ the suggested one. And yes, there were saves. Like I said, it was a recording of a practice run that wasn't originally intended for public viewing ;)

Also, just to get it out of my system: fuck boom.

No, not really. It's cool. But I won't be using it, so don't ask.

Abyssalstudios1 said:

You know, I should do the youtube demo thread.

Well we already have this thread.

Anyway that was an excellent nightmare speedrun even through you used freelook which is not necessary since its boom compatibly.

Map01 isn't really that difficult, I got up to the blue key in my first 5 tries. Realized why you jumped off as soon as the cacos came out though, heh.