Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xvertigox

Arenas: The Episodes

I remember seeing the other episodes a while back and thinking they were all pretty awful because of terrible writing and acting. I was actually intrigued and engaged with this episode, and incredibly impressed when he looks out the window of E1M1 into the grassy mountains (still believable!) The end ruins it because it returns to the terrible writing and acting, which is continued through the series.

Really incredible machinima though, aside from some unnatural movements now and then it is incredibly fluid.

xvertigox said:

The first episode is set in E1M1 and it looks great.

Me likes. Also only REAL space marines can kill cacodemons with a chainsaw :P

Philnemba said:

Also only REAL space marines can kill cacodemons with a chainsaw :P

Oh please..

However, I thought this episode was framed and animated VERY well! The visuals and camera angles were VERY cool. I thought it was neat with all the early Doom references like, as Bank said, that mountain landscape in the distance. The audio was kinda bad though. The music helped suit the theme pretty well but the original Doom sounds and Half Life sounds didn't play very well with the movie. They probably could have gotten away with a few of them if they had modified them heavily or used the high resolution versions of Doom sounds collected in perkristian's high res soundpack. The voice acting was a tad cheesy (the voices sounded like normal people trying to "act" tough) but definitely far from awful.

I think huge credit is due for the animation and visuals though. They were really good.

The first episode is awesome, but the later episodes are rather guff. I wanted to see some more demon killing and such, but all I got were crappy DMs. :(

Watch the rest of season 1. Good shit even through the story a bit lame but the action is what matter the most.

Reevys said:

The first episode is awesome, but the later episodes are rather guff. I wanted to see some more demon killing and such, but all I got were crappy DMs. :(

This series is base on Quake 3 Arena.

40oz said:

Oh please..

However, I thought this episode was framed and animated VERY well! The visuals and camera angles were VERY cool. I thought it was neat with all the early Doom references like, as Bank said, that mountain landscape in the distance. The audio was kinda bad though. The music helped suit the theme pretty well but the original Doom sounds and Half Life sounds didn't play very well with the movie. They probably could have gotten away with a few of them if they had modified them heavily or used the high resolution versions of Doom sounds collected in perkristian's high res soundpack. The voice acting was a tad cheesy (the voices sounded like normal people trying to "act" tough) but definitely far from awful.

I think huge credit is due for the animation and visuals though. They were really good.

eh for the most part they were. There was a lot of stuff in there that looked absolutely horrible, such as the marines' machine guns which looked more like toys than guns (the fact that they didn't even have barrels didn't help either). There's a lot of little issues with the animation throughout the video as well, such as this.

I can't say I like the plot either. Trying to tack a story line on to Quake 3 death match just seems pretty stupid to me.

Philnemba said:

This series is base on Quake 3 Arena.

That's my point. It was looking rather interesting with the Doom storyline, then they plucked him out of there and dumped him in Quake 3 instead. Which is a game that should never have plot.

Old stuff. Yet episode 10 was released a couple days ago.

Entertaining stuff, the voice of Doom reminds me of Serious Sam.